Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Now that "Classic" has been revealed to be handicapped by a lack of Bluetooth and gps access, I'm almost back to square one.

I use my phone for podcasts/streaming just about as often as I do for phone calls - maybe moreso.

And gps functionality on my hip was kind of a big deal for me. I thought I'd be able to use my existing software with the Pre's gps hardware, but now I see that, not only can't I use the Pre's gps chip, but I can't even use Bluetooth to use my existing gps receiver.

I don't know that the Pre's gps functionality (ie software) will completely replace what I've got now. I liked that I wouldn't have to give up anything to make the jump from 755p to Pre. Now it looks like I might have to give up even more than I thought.

And that doesn't even count the games that would be limited by a lack of Bluetooth functionality.

*sigh*

Hopefully, we can just get the Pre for my girlfriend and then we'll see if it's right for me.

Maybe there will be yet another third party app (fourth-party, ha!) to fix those shortcomings. You're not the only one (I'm with you).

Just curious, what games do you play that require Bluetooth? I've got a lot of games but haven't (yet) needed BT access.

All the best.

m505->650->755p with bluetooth, VoiceDialIt, Garmin GPS, PdaReach, skinUI, FontSmoother, TAKEphONE, 4cast, 2day, 2dial, TouchLauncher, TealWheel, Chatter, OperaMini, PowerHero, Butler, NVBackup, Destaller, Apt, Warden, CardReader, pTunes, CorePlayer, Kinoma, MunduRadio, Ringo, DateBk6, HandyShpr, PktQuicken, PearPrivacy, MegaCalc&Clock, KeyCaps755, AlwaysOn, LEDOff, PhoneDisconnect, WebLinks, McPhling, PalmPDF, eReader, some phwelo stuff & nearly 30 games, due to LinkStart, w/an 8GB card.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofdatreo View Post
    Maybe there will be yet another third party app (fourth-party, ha!) to fix those shortcomings. You're not the only one (I'm with you).

Just curious, what games do you play that require Bluetooth? I've got a lot of games but haven't (yet) needed BT access.

All the best.
    Off the top of my head, some of the 2-player games allow me to play with someone else via Bluetooth.

Monopoly's one example.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  3.    #43  
    Another example for fanofdatreo:

Also, Kinoma (and PTunes, I think) allow us to control playback via stereo Bluetooth headsets. It looks like I could listen to Kinoma, but I couldn't pause it easily (I'm guessing it wouldn't have an interface in the notification area). I assume the same would be true of PTunes.

I listen to podcasts like this quite often so it would be disappointing if I couldn't pause at a moment's notice, because someone starts talking to me or for whatever reason.
  4.    #44  
    Well, it seems I've been cured of my cellphone schizophrenia.

From what I've read, today, the Pre will not allow the user to select text on webpages. That is insane and, as far as I'm concerned, amounts to a lie when Palm claimed they offered copy/paste - as if it were REAL copy/paste, not just in limited areas.

I don't know what I'll do when I tire of my 755p. I don't trust Palm, now. Maybe it's time for a new platform.
    I suppose if money is no object, you can keep your 755p active, plus have a second phone line for the Pre. I might do that for awhile to make sure everything is satisfactory with the Pre, before switching over entirely.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    I suppose if money is no object, you can keep your 755p active, plus have a second phone line for the Pre. I might do that for awhile to make sure everything is satisfactory with the Pre, before switching over entirely.
    I am thinking of the same - except with the money is no object part
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
  7.    #47  
    Awesomeness.

I've been dying for a way to stream NPR podcasts in the background (so I can do other things on the phone, at the same time).

I could never figure out a way for PTunes or any other application to accomplish this, but today I found a podcast page on NPR's site that includes an mp3 download link. With PTunes Deluxe, I can play those files (streaming them, actually) in the background. They only link to the most recent podcast of a given program, but I'll take it!

So, here's yet another way that I can use my 755p. I wonder if the Pre could do this, natively.
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post
    I am thinking of the same - except with the money is no object part

Another alternate cost saving, but less convenient method is to carry around 2 devices: Your old Treo 755p that is disabled (not connected to a cell phone plan) that you still use for simple things like calendar, contacts, memos, etc, and the fact you can still hotsynch locally to a desktop computer. At the same time, carry around a new Pre (that is connected to a cell phone plan) that you use for internet connectivity to get emails, texts, data, etc. I imagine some people will do this 2 device setup, at least in the beginning until they can figure out things better.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Add me to this list; I occasionally see posts of people who dumped their Palms for Blackberrys or iPhone, etc and I get the "new toy" fever. I just love new toys, to learn them and get new apps, etc. But recently while drooling over a new phone, I looked at my 755 sitting there, and realized I still really love it. I have not had a crash in over a year (it was my fault for the crash) and I have push email with ChatterEmail and I realized that I would have to give up one of my most cherished programs - Slingplayer Mobile. NO CAN DO I must have 60 programs on this thing and I use them all. I will stick with my 755 until it dies a pitiful death and then see what is out there.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    dollface,

Yup I love my Sling - I also have a lot of programs - Safeguard tells me I have 82 and I am stable as a rock except when I sometimes use Opera Mini. It is the only program that will crash my 755p - I don't use it much anymore - but I still keep it on there for those just in case moments.

My other favorite program is RDM+ remote desktop when I have to access one of my home or work computers when I am not near a computer. My 755p can do all I need.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    Add me to this list; I occasionally see posts of people who dumped their Palms for Blackberrys or iPhone, etc and I get the "new toy" fever. I just love new toys, to learn them and get new apps, etc. But recently while drooling over a new phone, I looked at my 755 sitting there, and realized I still really love it. I have not had a crash in over a year (it was my fault for the crash) and I have push email with ChatterEmail and I realized that I would have to give up one of my most cherished programs - Slingplayer Mobile. NO CAN DO I must have 60 programs on this thing and I use them all. I will stick with my 755 until it dies a pitiful death and then see what is out there.
    Ditto, Amen, and Excellent Post!

Like they say, they'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands when I die. ;-)

m505->650->755p with bluetooth, VoiceDialIt, Garmin GPS, PdaReach, skinUI, FontSmoother, TAKEphONE, 4cast, 2day, 2dial, TouchLauncher, TealWheel, Chatter, OperaMini, PowerHero, Butler, NVBackup, Destaller, Apt, Warden, CardReader, pTunes, CorePlayer, Kinoma, MunduRadio, Ringo, DateBk6, HandyShpr, PktQuicken, PearPrivacy, MegaCalc&Clock, KeyCaps755, AlwaysOn, LEDOff, PhoneDisconnect, WebLinks, McPhling, PalmPDF, eReader, some phwelo stuff & nearly 30 games, due to LinkStart, w/an 8GB card.
  12.    #52  
    Copied /pasted from Opera Mini on 755p thread:

"Ho
    Leak
    Rap

I finally see why people have been raving about Opera Mini. I started out going to familiar and "cooperative" sites, but I recently tried to load some webpages that give Blazer a hard time... and *SNAP* there they were.

I haven't found one, yet, that Opera Mini can't handle. Since I don't copy text from webpages ALL the time, this will definitely come in handy. As for those other times, I guess I'll have to settle for ol' trusty, Blazer.

This is awesome. Once again, I have fallen back in-love with my phone.

The wedding will be next Spring. You're all invited."
    Copied /pasted from Opera Mini on 755p thread:

I finally see why people have been raving about Opera Mini. I started out going to familiar and "cooperative" sites, but I recently tried to load some webpages that give Blazer a hard time... and *SNAP* there they were.

I haven't found one, yet, that Opera Mini can't handle. Since I don't copy text from webpages ALL the time, this will definitely come in handy. As for those other times, I guess I'll have to settle for ol' trusty, Blazer."
    If you don't mind me asking, what are some of the web pages that Blazer had problems with, that load better with Opera Mini? I'd like to recreate your tests on my 755p. Thanks in advance!

14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofdatreo View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what are some of the web pages that Blazer had problems with, that load better with Opera Mini? I'd like to recreate your tests on my 755p. Thanks in advance!
    First of all, every big webpage loads much more quickly. That seems to be across-the-board.

Pages that show up properly and fully in Opera but not Blazer (some specific, some whose names I don't recall):

* a couple of credit card and bank sites my lady frequents
    * freshair.npr.org
    * Rick Emerson's podcast page doesn't show up properly in either, apparently... *sigh* (KUFO - The Rick Emerson Show)
    * ebaY pages with a large number of search results

S'all I recall.
    First of all, every big webpage loads much more quickly. That seems to be across-the-board.

Pages that show up properly and fully in Opera but not Blazer (some specific, some whose names I don't recall):

* a couple of credit card and bank sites my lady frequents
    * freshair.npr.org
    * Rick Emerson's podcast page doesn't show up properly in either, apparently... *sigh* (KUFO - The Rick Emerson Show)
    * ebaY pages with a large number of search results

S'all I recall.

Well, you're right about the Fresh Air page loading faster...but are you listening to those audio streams/podcasts? I'm pretty sure you are, or I remember you saying you were, but how? It tells me each time that I need a new Flash Player and I can't get such a thing.

16.    #56  
    Not just faster loads, but with less/no jumbled text.

NPR's podcast section has links to mp3's of the latest episode (updated the next day, apparently). That's distinct from the "Listen Now" links, which are useless on my 755p.

I suspect that the latest Ptunes Deluxe can handle it (cuz I THINK it's a wma streaming format). But maybe not.
    I'm holding onto my 755p when the Pre comes out. I'm sure glad I did when the 800w did but I'm hoping I don't have to worry about that with the Pre
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    I don't know about Opera since it loved to crash my 755p but wikipedia is very hard to read in Blazer.
  19.    #59  
    Hi, cvela90. There's a post or an article, somewhere, that lists some settings adjustments that result in a more stable Opera Mini experience. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find them, so far, and I'm too busy to keep searching at the moment.

Maybe you'll have more luck.
    I'm sticking with my 755p because it doesn't run Windoze!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast