Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Well actually it is more than "it looks cool". My eyes are fading these days and I would love to have a phone where I could zoom in on text msgs, internet, calendar for those times when I don't have glasses handy. I'm not sure if the PRE will allow this or not, but that would be a huge bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    Ideally, if I had my wish, I would rather a new Treo device with the same Palm OS, but with a bigger screen and better web browser. Is that too much to ask?

Ditto on that!!!
    I'm holding my 755p. I am strickly a "bar" phone person. My 755p has served well of almost two years, without glitch. You get a lot of value for your money, when you don't have problems with a device, for very long periods. There are already three "Pre Killers" coming soon --- all bar phones.

Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'm not here to write out a long list of features comparing the Pre and the 755p. I just think it's funny that I'm of two minds about the Pre.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by doublenickels View Post
    I'm holding my 755p. I am strickly a "bar" phone person. My 755p has served well of almost two years, without glitch. You get a lot of value for your money, when you don't have problems with a device, for very long periods. There are already three "Pre Killers" coming soon --- all bar phones.
    Oh? What are they?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I won't be giving up my 755p - especially for a Windoze-based unit. I can't take that kind of chance in my Mac-based office. Give me a better browser, and I'll be deliriously happy!
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by L.R.Cote View Post
    I won't be giving up my 755p - especially for a Windoze-based unit. I can't take that kind of chance in my Mac-based office. Give me a better browser, and I'll be deliriously happy!
    I thought it had a Linux base.

What's wrong with its browser? Every review I've seen has judged it equal or better than iPhone's.
  7. yoe
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Even making a comparison between the Pre and the 755p is insulting to the intelligence. Personally I love Palm OS in as an OS but lets face it, it's an operating system that hasn't change much in the last 10 years or so, while Web OS is a BRAND NEW OS born to run on a new generation of hardware (processor and touch screen), the next generation network and frankly - the next generation of users.

My Treo 755p is the worst piece of @#$ing cr#p I have ever used. I hate it more than anything in the world. It was built by a blind retarded person and the only reasons I have it is:

1. I have a KICK *** employee referral plan on Sprint I never wanna leave, otherwise I would have the iPhone already

2. Unlike Blackberries, it has a keyboard AND a touchscreen. I don't know why those damn Blackberries don't add a freakin touchscreen to their BOLD but until they do - I'm out

3. It's not Windows Mobile. With all the $hit this phone is giving me, It's STILL about 1,000 times faster, stable and more responsive than any windows mobile phone on the planet.

Man, there's just no telling how much I hate this phone, and the number one reason for it is how slow it is. Every time I go with it underground (subway) It freezes, and then whenever it gets slightly closer to the ground it freezes again, in fact every time it goes in and out of reception zones or switches between towers it freezes, which makes it unusable as an mp3 player, it also doesn't handle calls very well since every time I get a call it freezes for 2 - 3 seconds, while i'm working, and then when I push the screen to "wake it up" it pushes the hang up button.

I found that if you disable the "Get time / date from server" feature the phone freezes a lot less, but then -> IT LOOSES THE TIME.

A phone that can't tell time on its own - now THATS astounding.

And this isn't just my treo, I've had 2 others. they're all like that, have been since the 600 model.

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE PRE !!
  8.    #28  
    I'm learning this lesson more and more: Be careful what you call your thread, because invariably SOMEone will respond to it without the context of the original post or any subsequent posts.

S'what I get for making my original posts so long.
    Yoe, you can avoid all those delays by turning off synchronize date and time in your preferences panel. Set it to none and it won't keep looking for a signal all the time just to confirm what time it is.

And howsoever bitterly you complain about the 755p, you are still using it, versus a Blackberry or iphone, aren't you?

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by hgoldner View Post
    Yoe, you can avoid all those delays by turning off synchronize date and time in your preferences panel. Set it to none and it won't keep looking for a signal all the time just to confirm what time it is.

And howsoever bitterly you complain about the 755p, you are still using it, versus a Blackberry or iphone, aren't you?

Harold
    Yoe already mentioned turning off the time/date thing. S/he said that the phone loses the time, after that. I'm assuming it takes the phone a while to lose the time, though. If so, maybe the answer is to turn off that feature just long enough to get on and then off the subway?
  11.    #31  
    I asked this in the update thread already but maybe I should ask here:

I think it was crogs who said that the Centro's screen can be activated just by pressing the d-pad. Can anyone confirm whether that's true of the 755p's with the 1.08 firmware update?

I never install updates, anymore, unless I'm experiencing big problems. Too many people have regretted them, while having no apparent option to reverse them. I've heard that of the 755's 1.08 and many of us remember the pitiful days of the 700 series updates.

Thinking about it, Palm's really lucky we're willing to give them a chance, at all, following that sad, sorry display.

To end on a somewhat positive note: I like being able to add notes to my contacts. I don't expect to have that option with the Pre.

"Spoke to Sprint CSR, Jane Doe, on date xx/xx/xx. Said she'd call back within 24 hours."

I think it was crogs who said that the Centro's screen can be activated just by pressing the d-pad. Can anyone confirm whether that's true of the 755p's with the 1.08 firmware update? ...."

I have the Sprint 1.08 update and I can't wake the screen by the Dpad or the center button. If is no different that how you would normally activate it - at least for me it is. I have also heard of someone here that has reverted back to rom v1.07 after the 1.08 rom update by simply re-flashing the 1.07. With that being said, I have no problems so far with rom update v1.08.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post
    I have the Sprint 1.08 update and I can't wake the screen by the Dpad or the center button.
    Thanks a lot.

I have also heard of someone here that has reverted back to 1.07 after the 1.08 rom update by simply re-flashing the 1.07.
    Yeah, that was kinda encouraging. I wondered why no one was able to do that before, though.

With that being said, I have no problems so far with rom update 1.08.
    Thanks, again. Looks like I'll stick with the "ain't broke, don't fix" p.o.v. for the time-being.

Once again, I appreciate your taking the time to answer so I wouldn't have to jump into the pool with my eyes closed, HOPING that there's water in it.
    westman,

No problem - your welcome.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    I am suffering from the same dilemma as everyone here.

Love the utility of my 755p. Add to that the now-retired TealOS, its just so hard to let it go.

Might end up still getting the Pre though.

Might just use my 755p as my mainstay GPS unit when it all comes down to it, once i get to shift my phone plan to the Pre.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I am suffering from the same dilemma as everyone here.

Love the utility of my 755p. Add to that the now-retired TealOS, its just so hard to let it go.

Might end up still getting the Pre though.

Might just use my 755p as my mainstay GPS unit when it all comes down to it, once i get to shift my phone plan to the Pre.
    Good point about gps.

I've enjoyed TealOS but it sure does add lag.

I think it was crogs who said that the Centro's screen can be activated just by pressing the d-pad. Can anyone confirm whether that's true of the 755p's with the 1.08 firmware update?
    The D-pad does not wake a Verizon Treo 755p, only the 4 hardware buttons and the red button.

Meanwhile, I downloaded and installed TealOS yesterday about 2 and a half hours before it officially 'vanished.' I've been quite impressed.

It does slow the 755p down a little bit (at certain points), but the added facility of accessing applets is worth it, IMHO. It may be the first 'launcher' I adopt after running Launcher X (and it's predecessors) for more than a decade on Palm OS devices. Hardware button access to apps does not appear to be slowed by TealOS.

And it certainly whets my appetite for the Pre.

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Was just saying the same thing to my wife the other day...that is, when, I DECIDE to change my phone.

m505->650->755p with bluetooth, VoiceDialIt, Garmin GPS, PdaReach, skinUI, FontSmoother, TAKEphONE, 4cast, 2day, 2dial, TouchLauncher, TealWheel, Chatter, OperaMini, PowerHero, Butler, NVBackup, Destaller, Apt, Warden, CardReader, pTunes, CorePlayer, Kinoma, MunduRadio, Ringo, DateBk6, HandyShpr, PktQuicken, PearPrivacy, MegaCalc&Clock, KeyCaps755, AlwaysOn, LEDOff, PhoneDisconnect, WebLinks, McPhling, PalmPDF, eReader, some phwelo stuff & nearly 30 games, due to LinkStart, w/an 8GB card.
    Quote Originally Posted by hgoldner View Post
    Meanwhile, I downloaded and installed TealOS yesterday about 2 and a half hours before it officially 'vanished.' I've been quite impressed.
    If you plan to use it for more than the 30 day trial period I hope you bought it before the "vanishing" period. Great program.

m505->650->755p with bluetooth, VoiceDialIt, Garmin GPS, PdaReach, skinUI, FontSmoother, TAKEphONE, 4cast, 2day, 2dial, TouchLauncher, TealWheel, Chatter, OperaMini, PowerHero, Butler, NVBackup, Destaller, Apt, Warden, CardReader, pTunes, CorePlayer, Kinoma, MunduRadio, Ringo, DateBk6, HandyShpr, PktQuicken, PearPrivacy, MegaCalc&Clock, KeyCaps755, AlwaysOn, LEDOff, PhoneDisconnect, WebLinks, McPhling, PalmPDF, eReader, some phwelo stuff & nearly 30 games, due to LinkStart, w/an 8GB card.
  20.    #40  
    Now that "Classic" has been revealed to be handicapped by a lack of Bluetooth and gps access, I'm almost back to square one.

I use my phone for podcasts/streaming just about as often as I do for phone calls - maybe moreso.

And gps functionality on my hip was kind of a big deal for me. I thought I'd be able to use my existing software with the Pre's gps hardware, but now I see that, not only can't I use the Pre's gps chip, but I can't even use Bluetooth to use my existing gps receiver.

I don't know that the Pre's gps functionality (ie software) will completely replace what I've got now. I liked that I wouldn't have to give up anything to make the jump from 755p to Pre. Now it looks like I might have to give up even more than I thought.

And that doesn't even count the games that would be limited by a lack of Bluetooth functionality.

*sigh*

Hopefully, we can just get the Pre for my girlfriend and then we'll see if it's right for me.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast