Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, so this has happened to me a few times before during the past year and a half with my first gen Sprint Centro. The "hidden" proxy servers that Blazer connects to download all of the web browser content has been terribly slow and most of the time I receive the message "Data Time Out" after clicking on a link and waiting 20 seconds. I have been TEARING my hair out the past two weeks!!!!! Since I use Google Reader in Blazer.

I know it is not my cache, cookies, saved and unsaved preferences since I cleared and reset them all. I also did a warm start, soft start, etc.

My wife's Centro has no trouble browsing the web. Our devices were coming from different proxy server IPs while browsing on the web (I went to sites that show you your own IP address, which of course does not match my actual device IP address).

So when you go to the dialpad and type ##DATA# you are presented a way to make changes to your network settings including the hidden proxy server settings for the Blazer browser.

However, you need your MSL (Sprint can provide this to you or follow the directions below, Verizon I am not sure if you have proxy servers or not anyway your MSL is 000000) to remove the proxy server setting.

I can report that after removing the proxy server my browsing experience is a 100x better now. One thing to note, is that you will loose your account information on the vision.sprint.com website unless you go to Blazer preferences and turn-on the proxy server temporarily.

So if you want your MSL and don't want to call Sprint, here is how! I followed these directions and they do work perfectly. Aaron K (you can hear him on the TCPJ Unlocked #15 show talking about the phone network) did the leg work on putting these directions together. If someone wants to host the zip file with the utility please let me know and I will send it over.

1. Free up COM ports so you have one available in the COM1 through
    COM4 range. I disabled my on-board COM1 (I never use it).
    2. Unzip the archive to a new folder.
    3. Unhook the cable from your Centro (if it's connected) and remove
    the battery. Make sure the phone is dead.
    4. Attach the cable to the phone (with the other end plugged into a
    USB port on the PC, of course).
    5. While holding down the Hotsync button, insert the battery.
    6. Windows will detect new hardware. Point the wizard to the folder
    with the unzipped files. This will install Qualcomm communications
    drivers. Repeat. There should be two Qualcomm devices auto-detected
    through Windows hardware discovery.
    7. Run the UniCDMA_2.1.exe program in the new folder.
    8. From the Mode dropdown on the left side, choose "Qualcomm". This
    should populate fields on the right side.
    9. To dump the MSL, click "Memory" on that right side, and enter
    0x00947F12 for the starting address. Set length to 6 bytes.
    10. Click "Read and save to file" and save it to your desktop, and
    open that file with notepad. The six-digit number is your MSL!!!

Now you can unlock settings in the phone! So here's how to disable the proxy:

1. Use the phone dialer to dial ##DATA#
    2. Choose "Browser" from the menu button.
    3. Delete the 68.28.31.33 IP address in the "Primary NGG" and
    "Secondary NGG" fields. Set the ports to 0.
    4. Click OK and you're done!

If you want to be able to pull up your account info or any other service easily that requires the proxy server, go into Blazer and in the Options Menu, choose Preferences, then click on the Advanced tab then click on the set proxy button. Check Use Proxy and enter 68.28.31.33 and port 80. The nice thing is that address is saved when you uncheck that box.

Good luck and enjoy!
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Wow. Interesting info. I'm tempted to try it.
  3.    #3  
    It has made a huge improvement in page response time and speed for me!
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    thanks for this... for the most part my browsing worked fine, but i have a particular web page i use for which the proxy caching was breaking things... I called sprint, got my MSL, turned off the proxy, and now that page works great!

(the issue was that the proxy was feeding back cached responses instead of sending my request to the web server)

haven't noticed any particular speed differences one way or another, if anything i expect most things will get slightly slower since i'm sure the sprint proxy is designed to cache common content and get it to the phone faster, but i kinda prefer knowing i'm not at their mercy.
    Is this same thing true of V phones too?
  6.    #6  
    I honestly don't know if Verizon phones use a proxy or not. You can see if ##DATA# takes you to that screen where you can check if a proxy server is specified. Those ## commands are usually Sprint related, but you can try it!
    #*#DATA on Verizon. And MSL should work with 000000
    Last edited by gapost; 03/31/2009 at 09:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    #*#DATA on Verizon. And MSL should work with 000000
    Have you, or anyone else, tried this w/Verizon? Did it speed things up? How long have you been using it?

What about the comment made by someone else that he expected things to get slightly slower in the future (based on how it caches common content)? Have you noticed anything like this in your use on Verizon?

m505->650->755p with bluetooth, VoiceDialIt, Garmin GPS, PdaReach, skinUI, FontSmoother, TAKEphONE, 4cast, 2day, 2dial, TouchLauncher, TealWheel, Chatter, OperaMini, PowerHero, Butler, NVBackup, Destaller, Apt, Warden, CardReader, pTunes, CorePlayer, Kinoma, MunduRadio, Ringo, DateBk6, HandyShpr, PktQuicken, PearPrivacy, MegaCalc&Clock, KeyCaps755, AlwaysOn, LEDOff, PhoneDisconnect, WebLinks, McPhling, PalmPDF, eReader, some phwelo stuff & nearly 30 games, due to LinkStart, w/an 8GB card.
    I dont think VZW uses a proxy. I went to What Is My IP Address? - Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more... and compared the IP address to my phone and it matched!
  10.    #10  
    Yep, I think you do not have a proxy. On Sprint, my IP was different.
    Be aware if you do this it will cause the built in IM app to give a server error.
    To get the MSL:
    I got UniCDMA from here. (You can get a username/password from bugmenot)
    I got the qualcomm drivers from this thread.

On Vista, it took a little tinkering to get the right drivers installed (it went to windows update and identified it as some Z modem) Don't let windows locate the driver for you - cancel the installation, then go to device manager and update the driver for the data interface there, and use the location of the qualcomm drivers. Once installed, I had to change the port on the qualcomm device from COM5 since UniCDMA can only recognize 1-4. I also had to remove the USB cable and reinsert for UniCDMA to recognize the phone. Once it did though, I was able to grab the MSL as posted.

After removing the proxies, I got between 100-200 kb/s from www.dslreports.com/mspeed, and the numbers moved noticeably faster. With the default file sizes (5kB, 50kB, 100kB), I kept getting "unstable/too fast a result" so I did "choose a larger file" and tested with 200kB, 400kB, 1MB.

With the proxy on, I got 85-150kb/s, so this is a decent improvement, and nice to know that it will reduce the number of time outs.

Great work Strobey!
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Wow that's a mouthful of info storbey. Can't wait to try it!
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
  14.    #14  
    I never have used the built-in IM app, so I never thought to try that. Sorry about that.
  15.    #15  
    Sun Devil (I went to ASU, too!),

Thanks for posting that followup info, I didn't even think to compare the speed test results before and after! That's great news.
    Is this easy enough for someone new to Palm/the Centro??

thought I'd ask before murdering my phone.
  17.    #17  
    As long as you follow the steps exactly, there shouldn't be any damage done.
    Is this just a Centro/Blazer problem, or does it extend to most Sprint phones? I'm getting tempted to dump my Centro...I'm having major browsing issues and getting pretty tired of it.
    Vinnie
    Quote Originally Posted by john_v View Post
    Is this just a Centro/Blazer problem, or does it extend to most Sprint phones? I'm getting tempted to dump my Centro...I'm having major browsing issues and getting pretty tired of it.
    Well, not to open any wounds, but what are the major issues you are having?

m505->650->755p with bluetooth, VoiceDialIt, Garmin GPS, PdaReach, skinUI, FontSmoother, TAKEphONE, 4cast, 2day, 2dial, TouchLauncher, TealWheel, Chatter, OperaMini, PowerHero, Butler, NVBackup, Destaller, Apt, Warden, CardReader, pTunes, CorePlayer, Kinoma, MunduRadio, Ringo, DateBk6, HandyShpr, PktQuicken, PearPrivacy, MegaCalc&Clock, KeyCaps755, AlwaysOn, LEDOff, PhoneDisconnect, WebLinks, McPhling, PalmPDF, eReader, some phwelo stuff & nearly 30 games, due to LinkStart, w/an 8GB card.
    Same timeouts as described in the OP...been also getting an error message that has to do with the address. Can't remember exactly what it is, since it comes and goes, but when it starts up, sometimes even popping the battery doesnt help. Basically will not let me navigate to certain pages, even ones that are bookmarked, but with no rhyme or reason.
    Vinnie
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast