1.    #1  
    Hi guys, I have had to jiggle the headphone jack before to get things working again, but this time the ear speaker has really stopped working in my 755p.
    I have done a hard reset, erased and reinstalled volume care, nothing works.
    Are there any fixes for the ear speaker? Has anyone lost their ear speaker before? Please help! I just got an extended battery for the 755p at long last and have been very happy with it, and boom suddenly I lose all sound unless I use speakerphone! Crazy. I am stunned by the shoddy quality of the headphone jack in general...didn't know that the speaker in the earpiece was also an issue! Any help VERY appreciated. Thanks much
    If you are still under warranty and did a hard reset I'm sure Palm will setup a repair or replacement for you. their smart phone support is 877-426-3777
    My friend had this on her 755p. She took it to the store and got it replaced for $55.

The phone is stuck in headset mode, thinking there is a wired headset plugged in. It is a common failure. If you have the warranty coverage, it should be a free fix.

It has happened to my friend twice, and to me, not at all. But then again I don't use a wired headset.
    This a 'known issue' with 755p's (and other Treo's). The soldering to the headphone jack is notoriously flimsy. Sometimes a hard reset (!!) fixes it, but because it is generally a hardware issue, a warranty replacement is best.

My first (of 5) 755p Treo's was afflicted with this problem. 'Fortunately' the screen broke, and the first replacement unit (nor any of the 2 subsequent replacement units ---- another long story) have had the problem.

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
  5.    #5  
    Thanks everyone for all your help. I have had the issue before and when it happened, the speakerphone option would not appear. I was able to fix it with a hard reset and some 'jiggling'. This time I have even reinstalled the firmware with no luck. The speakerphone icon DOES appear, meaning that the 755p doesn't even think there's a headphone jack inside. I think it's an actual problem with the speaker itself in the earpiece.

I will be going to the Sprint Store on Friday in an attempt to get it repaired. What prices should I expect? How much should I agree to pay? Is there a chance they will just swap it out with a refurb (would be great), I DO NOT WANT A NEW CONTRACT but I have all the accessories and have invested heavily over the years (since my treo 650) in apps, and am loath to give it all up. I saw the iphones for $99 refurb at At&T and have been thinking about it for a while. If Sprint wants almost that much to fix my ear speaker in the 755p I will have to think seriously about switching even though I am quite happy with my 755p. It has been a hacking challenge to find the right mix of apps so that my treos would not crash and I have been happy for about a year now. thanks again everybody
  6.    #6  
    I called the store and was told that the price could range between $55 and $120. I won't pay $120 it's just crazy. They said it would take about 40 minutes. I am wondering if anyone has fixed the headset speaker themselves? Is the treo easy to take apart? Thanks everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by treotreo233 View Post
    I called the store and was told that the price could range between $55 and $120. I won't pay $120 it's just crazy. They said it would take about 40 minutes. I am wondering if anyone has fixed the headset speaker themselves? Is the treo easy to take apart? Thanks everybody.
    Keep in mind that Palm does warranty transactions with no fee and if you want a device sent to you a small $25 for shipping charges. I did mine a year and half ago and worked fine ever since. The only catch is your phone needs to be in the one year warranty.
  8.    #8  
    thanks poeta15. Unfortunately for me I'm out of the warranty. Stupidly I cancelled my insurance a few months back. Still, the insurance kind of sucks because I still had to pay $50 each time I used it even though they charged me $7/month. I figured it wasn't worth it and cancelled. Now I'm debating whether it'll be worth it to pay for this repair or not or whether I should try to fix it myself. I think I'll prob. end up paying for it and then feel like crap afterwards! I hate paying extra for my cellphone after paying sprint monthly, for years! I know they just make money hand over fist off of us. grrr
  9.    #9  
    great news. I was able to get the 755p fixed for $55. They also let me put the insurance back on because I paid for a repair. I learned that with the insurance, any in-store repairs are free. I didn't know this so I'll keep the insurance on again. It turns out that the in-ear speaker was blown out. I think I had the volumecare settings turned on too high. I will have to be more careful with those gotreo settings from now on!
    Yes, I know Butler (which can override volume settings) specifically warns users about overriding volume settings on the hardware.

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible