1.    #1  
    (This isn't actually a new centro, like the new sprint models, it's just a new phone to me)

I realize that similar battery life problems have been brought up before, but this seems odd:

I just got a Sprint Centro on Monday, and I charged it that afternoon until night. It was fully charged, so I unplugged it, turned the actual phone part off, and set it down until the morning. About 8 hrs later, the next morning, it was still at about 95% or so. Throughout the day, with the phone part on from about 10am on, it lasted and the battery was at about 80% at the end of the day. I gave it a charge back to 100%, and went to bed.

Now today, Tuesday, it was at about 75% the next morning. By about 10am, it was at 56%, and now at 4:45pm it is at 10%. Today, the phone wasn't even on, except for about 5 minutes this morning, and then kept off all day, yet the battery is still so low.

I have bluetooth and IR off, and the backlight has been almost all the way off. Nothing is set to auto update or push emails, and it hasn't had to search for service with the phone off... I have not actually even used it at all except for maybe 10 minutes total the whole day.

Could this just be since it's a new battery, it is just still "figuring things out", or what could be going on here?

Thanks!
    Last edited by cwncool; 03/11/2009 at 07:42 PM.
    Hi.. You will find that battery life will vary from day to day. You have done the correct things in turning off ir and bluetooth. You need to understand that even though you turn the cell off or the power off it is never completly off. This is because if a call comes in you want to be able to get it or atleast it will go to voice mail. Any calendar event alert that you have setup needs to go off. So there are other things to look at. Emails, text messages, calendar events etc can all wake up the device and use power. For the most part under steady use a centro should last aproximately 4hrs and I have found that mine will last till about mid after noon before I need to charge it but I am not a heavy user by any means.
    I would try Power Hero to see if you have a "battery drain" issue. Sometimes the phone gets stuck in "REM sleep". This has never happened to me, but it has for some Centro users.

I don't think the battery should drain so fast if you are not connecting to the network.
  4.    #4  
    Okay thanks for the help guys. I actually just have tried to be moderate with it and watch battery usage. I've made maybe 10 calls, sent/received about 30 texts, used the camera a bit, and used memos. The radio has been on for about half each day, for today and yesterday, and it's been lasting just fine. It's actually at 80% right now still, so we'll see how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwncool View Post
    Okay thanks for the help guys. I actually just have tried to be moderate with it and watch battery usage. I've made maybe 10 calls, sent/received about 30 texts, used the camera a bit, and used memos. The radio has been on for about half each day, for today and yesterday, and it's been lasting just fine. It's actually at 80% right now still, so we'll see how it goes.
    It's possible that sometimes your Centro stuck in REM-sleep. It's a bug of Centro phones. Sometimes it causes a 3rd party app, i.e. if I install Butler it occurs every time.

To increase battery life I use two apps:
    - Power Hero (excellent, must-buy)
    - TreoBattery (free) which signals with the green led if the Centro stucks in REM. It's not common, it happens 1 or 2 times in a month, and can be solved easily with a soft reset. Download it from here: mytreo.net/downloads/treo-battery,309.html
    All true except that some people (me, for example) have never had the REM sleep problem. And I use Butler all the time. I am on Verizon, however, so maybe there's something different about the ROM?

BTW, Power Hero and Butler are by the same author, and he would surely have noticed if REM sleep problems were caused by Butler per se.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    All true except that some people (me, for example) have never had the REM sleep problem. And I use Butler all the time. I am on Verizon, however, so maybe there's something different about the ROM?

BTW, Power Hero and Butler are by the same author, and he would surely have noticed if REM sleep problems were caused by Butler per se.
    It's true. I haven't heard that anybody else had REM-problem with Butler. But after I install it, it always occur. (Centro GSM Unlocked) Otherwise apps developed by Hobbyistsoftware are always very stable and useful.
    He is what fixed the same problem for me. It has been discussed here at length:

Go to: Prefrences-->Date&Time

At the top you will see
    Automatically Set:

Set this to "Nothing"

This will stop the phone from polling time from your carrier.

It completely stopped the battery drain for me.
  9.    #9  
    Yeah that is a very good suggestion. It can help a lot with battery life.