Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I just converted a Treo 755p from Sprint to VZW -- works fully and has VZW branding. The ONLY place it says anything about SPNT is in the Phone app / information .. the Software says Treo755p-1.07-SPNT.

Here's what I did.

-I used CDMA Updater (from the Verizon 755p Updater) on a card to backup the NVRam of the phone (Alt - Debug - uncheck all but backup NVRam). The .EXE "Desktop Updater" programs are really auto running .zip files. You can rename it to a .zip and it will open up so you can get the files from it. The two files you need from it are in the Payload2\5030353250616c6dVZW\Treo755p.VZW directory, and you only need CDMAFirwmareUpdater.bprc (rename it to just .prc) and CDMAFirmwareUpdater_enUS.oprc (rename it to .prc)

-Grabbed the CDMA NV BACKUP.pdb file from main memory to the card and brought it to the PC. I hex-edited it, looking for 6 digit numbers, tried them all until I found the one that would let me ##xxxxxx# (MSL) to program the phone. Mine was 000459.

-Reset the phone (##774#, hit Reset to Factory Settings).

-I don't know if this step is necessary (but I did it any way). I ran the CDMA Updater from the VZW package on the Sprint ROM image. All items checkmarked. It put the VZW PRL onto the phone, and I had some LIMITED success (could send/receive SMS and make voice calls, but no more than that).

Now this is where it is a little involved. Extract the Verizon updater into a folder and rename it to VZW. Extract the SPRINT updater into a folder and name it SPRINT.

Go to the
    VZW\Payload2\5030353250616c6dVZA\Treo755p.VZW
    directory and move ALL the CDMAUpdater files (NOT THE DEVICE CHECKER FILES), the CheckDB and the DefaultPRL files into the
    SPRINT\Payload2\5030353250616c6dSPNT\Treo755p.SPNT
    folder.

Go to the
    VZW\PALM\5030353250616c6dVZW\Treo755p.VZW
    directory and move all of the files with the word TORINO in them to the
    SPRINT\PALM\5030353250616c6dSPNT\Treo755p.SPNT directory.

Then run the index.hta update file in the SPRINT updater directory.

It will reset many times, just LET IT DO IT'S THING. Follow it's instructions.

When it gets done, the phone will be a Verizon branded (VZW screens, VZW phone app).

Do a #*#000000# and enter the Mobile Number, MSID, Home SID and Home NID. You will need this information from VZW.

Once complete, *228 - option 3 and activate the equipment OTA, and it will program the phone.

Then battery out reset, *228 option 1 again. You may need to enter your info into the #*#DATA# if it doesn't show up in the Phone Information (or you can't connect).

The only issue I see .. is the same issue I have with my 700p. On the phone Information scren (Phone app - Alt I) the software version shows Treo755p-1.07-SPNT. (My Treo700p which is a refurb unit says Treo700p-1.10-SPNT and it STILL works beautifully).

** DISCLAIMER **
    This worked for me .. It may or may not work for you. I'm not responsible for you messing up your equipment or getting VZW pissed off at you for whatever reason. This WILL erase ALL data on the phone. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    ** DISCLAIMER **
    What did Verizon say about the ESN when you tried to activate it? I would think that everything you've done with it didn't change the ESN, which is what Verizon and Sprint look at when activating a phone.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Never talked to anyone about it. I activated it OTA on *228.

*228 Option 3 allows you to activate new equipment on your account. You call it from the new equipment, dial in your mobile number to activate the equipment on, then put in your account security code.

I didn't clone, modify or change the ESN in any way, shape or form. It's still the same ESN as I purchased it with.

Since I didn't have "the" serial cable, and the NVBackup was more confusing than I wanted to try to edit, I just "tried" it .. and it worked!!

I don't know "why" -- but I have imported phones to VZW on this account for a while now (and maybe it's because I'm "off contract" with them too).

This account with VZ is ... more than 8 years old..
    I don't know if Sprint allows OTA activiations on phones that they don't ship to you directly. I know everytime I've activated one over the phone the first thing they ask me for is the ESN. I haven't had any experience with Verizon so I can't speak from their security. But Sprint seems very terriotorial over their phones.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    With Sprint, you can activate a phone via their website. It does ask for the ESN. Once entered, it gives you the instructions and data to enter on the phone.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    But this wasn't with Sprint. This was a Sprint phone that I converted to a VZW phone.

I activated it on the VZW network OTA (using *228).
    Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    But this wasn't with Sprint. This was a Sprint phone that I converted to a VZW phone.

I activated it on the VZW network OTA (using *228).
    But did it ask for an ESN? (I know you converted it from Sprint to Verizon) That is what I was asking, with Sprint you have to provide an ESN for activation. I wasn't sure with Verizon if you needed to or not. After you dialed *228, did you have to do anything else?

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Nope,

The computer at *228 reads the ESN of the phone from the cell system.

With the VZW system you just *228, option 3. it says hold on while we prepare. Then enter your phone #. Enter your security code. Please wait while we program your phone. Your new equipment has been activated. Thankyou goodbye.

i did an extra *228 optino 1 then a reboot just to be safe...
    if this is true, I would expect you can do the same for a Palm Pre

(*228 OTA activation)

(granted you can access the PRL etc etc)
    I used CDMA Updater (from the Verizon 755p Updater) on a card to backup the NVRam of the phone (Alt - Debug - uncheck all but backup NVRam).
    rposa, where can we find this CDMA Updater.. is this a CD from verizon?
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    cdma updater is in the package on the palm support site for whichever phone you need it for..
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    if this is true, I would expect you can do the same for a Palm Pre

(*228 OTA activation)

(granted you can access the PRL etc etc)
    Well,

Since the Sprint provisioning is different for the Internet, and MMS/etc is different .. about the best you'd probably be able to hope for is to get it on the VZW network for phone, SMS and MAYBE internet..

But --

1. You need the MSL (Master Subsidy Lock). The phone will be locked, and without the knowledge, cable, hardware, etc ...
    2. You need the PRL and some kind of updater to put it on ... The PRL we can get .. the updater...

I'm sure there will be people taking the Pre to VZW/Cricket/Etc..

It just wont be immediately, I'd venture..
    When you make a call on the Sprizon 755 phone does it say you are ROAMING on a call when your not? I had a 700p, it said Verizon on the out side but the Inside said Sprint all over it. The firmware said Treo 700p_1.08_SPNT and the phone said roaming, in the call log but when I looked at my VZW bill it in fact was not Roaming. As a mater of fact my phone was so screwed up that I just copied the ROM from my other 700p with Resco Explorer and CMDA updater and now have a clone. This Kocoman fix from Shadowmite site helped me fix my 700p.

How to make treo to run on other network by ESN repair
    Perquisites:

1. Treo 700P handset
    2. USB data cable
    3. MTTY 1.42
    4. Treo 650 boot loader driver
    5. SD / MMC card. Do not use Mini / Micro SD with adaptor as mentioned on palm site. I dont know. I used MMC card.
    6. Resco explorer to copy files from ROM to SD card.
    7. CDMA updater program files

Attached RAR file contains:

1. Drivers
    2. MTTY 1.42
    3. Resco explorer
    4. CDMA updater (Attached for sprint, I tested same file from verizon on my sprint phone and it works so this file must work on verizon too.)

How to do it:

1. Insert you SD card in to treo, treo will automatically create file system. Where you will see following folder tree Palm -> Launcher, all .prc files or programmes are to be copied in launcher folder. Alternatively you can hotsync these two file to your device too. If you choose hot syncing, remember to uninstall hotsync and reboot your computer, else your phone may not be detected

2. Copy CDMA updater .prc program file and *_en*.oprc language files to launcher folder of memory card.

3. Launch CDMAFirmwareUpdater.prc after a while, white screen, it will lauch, press butten similar to right click, it is bottom right button, next to ALT key, select debug, select Backup NV option, unselect all other options. and run UPDATE now.

4. After some time it will say that backup sucessful etc.

5. Launch Resco explorer, go to Drive Named RAM0 and find CDMA NV BACKUP.PDB, copy it to SD card.

6. Download file to your computer.

Here is next step to write ESN to back up file and its very important.

1. Open file with any hex editor, in my phone back up I found important data at following address:

SPC: If you want your phone to programmed by *228, then this is important code: 0000F770
    MSL, this code is used to access phone nam programming: 0000F670
    ESN: Esn found 3 locations, I dont know why, but when I made mistake on one location, phone kept on rebooting when I entered ##MSL# code. SO I changed ESN at all locations. ESN is in reverse

1: 0000CF00
    2. 0000CFA0
    3. 0000EA40

Copy modified file to Memory card.

Once you update all this, means you have prepared necessary stuff to repair SN on handset.

Then

1. Install bootloader driver.

2. Connect your handset to PC with USB cable. Press button on hotsync cable for a while, Once you get message that palm hot sync detected, dial ##UPST# and phone will be in boot loader mode.

3. Your computer will detect USBSYNC hardware.

4. Launch MTTY 1.42, select USB port and start.

5. Once connected type

cdmar bl usb

It will answer:
    +CDMARouterCommnad...CDMA Mode = bl, PC Port = usb, CDMA Uart Speed = 115200

Type: nverase
    Answer: Identify INTEL Combo Flash !

Identify INTEL Combo Flash !

Erase NV Item Data Done!

CDMA DBG>

Now done, Reboot phone, by disconnecting and removing battery.

Once phone is rebooted:

Insert memory card.
    Launch Resco explorer
    Copy back file from memory card to RAM0, when asked, overwrite existing file.
    Lauch CDMA updater, and select debug, uncheck all option except restore NV.
    Check and verify MSL by dialing ##MSLCODE# and ESN in phone -> option -> phone info.

Once NV back up is restored, you are done, you have NEW SN, SPC and MSL on handset. you can dial *228 to activate or PRL update as supported by your operator.

If you have MIN available with you then:

dial ##MSL# and edit Mobile number to your MIN and MSID to your MIN.

dial ##data# and select advance

Options Required:

1. Vocoder EVRC=1 (Most digital network support EVRC)
    2. Home NID: Your operators NID code
    Home NID: Your operators SID code
    MCC: Your contry code
    MNC: Your mobile network code

Special thanks to Kocoman for being very helpful in teaching me this and guiding me.
    this is pretty crazy. i wonder why we cant do the same for the vzw to sprint.
    You can using the afore mentioned method. You have to get into doing more things to make a good change ie. Broadband vs. Sprint_PCS. and it's all there in the ROM.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by damilenko View Post
    this is pretty crazy. i wonder why we cant do the same for the vzw to sprint.
    You can convert a VZW treo to Sprint. I just don't know if they'd let you activate it.

Follow my method but in reverse. Use the VZW Updater, but copy the Sprint torino stuff (and sprint CDMA Updater) into the VZW Update..
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Update: Since I'm getting a Pre, I re-flashed my 755p back to Sprint from VZW. So the process is entirely reversable. (I'm using my 700p until then).
    I have a Verizon Treo 755P. It is currently activted with Alltel; phone calls no problem. Hoever, on "phone ifo-"PRL" etc, it contiues to say Verison. Also, when I attempt the *228 deal, its forwarded to Verizon and is denied. I would like to change my PRL from verizon to Alltel. I realize the merger but still it seems the phone service is stil seperate and I would like my firm ware also to be 1.3 with Alltel instead of the 1.08 for Verizon. I download the updater with Alltell (1.2-1.3) but can't get the phone to recognize it with the 6.2 Hotsync-download. Any ideas? Anyone?
    Kuraku
    This is great news!
    Sorry to bump an old thread, I found this via google search.

So I followed the OP's directions and the flash did go through (I think) though after the flash had been completed, the SPC/MSL number did not change and it is still the same one from sprint. When I make a call now, it says "welcome to verizon." So I guess the PRL is right, but the only way I can get this activated on my line is to manually activate by using the sprint assigned SPC/MSL.

If I am not mistaken, the SPC/MSL number should be "000000" in order for a *228 to be successful right?

Should I attempt a way to change this number or just manually activate? I have all the information needed for a manual activation EXCEPT the NID...

Edit: Oh yeah, the phone thinks it is "roaming" on verizon...which is kind of annoying. Is there anyway to change some settings to it knows that it is "home" now?
    Last edited by he.pennypacker; 06/27/2010 at 02:33 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast