Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Am I correct that Opera will not run on a Verizon phone?

I downloaded and installed it, and got a message "Please ensure that IBM's WebSphere Micro Environment Java VM is installed." I saw that Palm "Palm no longer has rights to distribute the IBM WebSphere Micro Environment Java Virtual Machine (JVM) to our customers." What do I do now?
    You can still find the Java Virtual Machine online if you look for it. It is required to run Opera.

I have tried it out a few times and been generally unsatisfied with it.

There are particular tweaks required to get it to run reliably on a 755p.

Those are documented on these forums.

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
    I installed it too and couldn't get it to run reliably. It did weird things to my main menus. It did seem to run a bit faster then Blazer though which isn't saying much. Blazer is the weakest link in these phones in my opinion.
  4.    #4  
    I looked into Opera because Blazer is SO bad! I never see any of the graphics (including buttons), and usually just fire up the ol' computer. But I'm not always near a computer. Getting Opera to work is well documented, and the people who have gone through it all seem to like Opera better. *sigh* I'll just carry my laptop... Or could it be a Verizon thing?

Thanks for the info!
    Quote Originally Posted by L.R.Cote View Post
    Am I correct that Opera will not run on a Verizon phone?

I downloaded and installed it, and got a message "Please ensure that IBM's WebSphere Micro Environment Java VM is installed." I saw that Palm "Palm no longer has rights to distribute the IBM WebSphere Micro Environment Java Virtual Machine (JVM) to our customers." What do I do now?

I got it to work (it did cause some confusion at first, for the install that is) but really don't find it to be of much use. After the initial excitement of being able to see a website the way it was meant to be, it wore off when I had to swipe myself around the screen to see everything (since it takes a while to load everything, rather than a "mobile" web site). I'm only keeping it for some unknown future use that may come up.
  6.    #6  
    I downloaded a file called "Java WEME571JVM". There are 36 items in the folder (folders and files). Can anyone tell me - what do I install?
    I downloaded a file called "Java WEME571JVM". There are 36 items in the folder (folders and files). Can anyone tell me - what do I install?
    If there's a subfolder called "Documentation" that has a pdf file it in, that'll probably take care of you nicely.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Opera is a good mobile browser but it has waaaaayyyy too many problems running on Treos. The constant freezes makes it more of a pain than helpful. These problems are well documented. Even with the correct JAVA set up, it WILL lock up your Treo and force you to soft reset.
  9.    #9  
    I found the 'right' Java item, installed it, and booted up Opera. It worked fine, but froze when I quit it! A soft reset did nothing, so with heavy heart I tried a hard reset. It worked but nothing was deleted from my phone - strange since that's what it's supposed to do!

I was rather impressed with opera, and being be to see graphics was teriffic. Blazer is a DOG, and I'd love to see something reliable replace it.
    I found the 'right' Java item, installed it, and booted up Opera. It worked fine, but froze when I quit it! A soft reset did nothing, so with heavy heart I tried a hard reset. It worked but nothing was deleted from my phone - strange since that's what it's supposed to do!

I was rather impressed with opera, and being be to see graphics was teriffic. Blazer is a DOG, and I'd love to see something reliable replace it.
    I'm confused.

What graphics can you see with Opera that you can't see with Blazer? Am I missing something b/c I came to the party late?
    I have loaded and Opera (along with the Palm Java virtual machine) a handful of times and each time I inevitably return to Blazer. It's not that Blazer is so wonderful, it's that the Java virtual machine, even with all the recommended tweaks to run Opera, is simply not stable enough on my Treo 755p.

In addition, Opera lacks the text handling capabilities that Blazer has (hard to believe 'capabilities' and Blazer are in the same sentence without a 'not').
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
  12.    #12  
    I see NO graphics with Blazer, and type looks rather cŪ@ppy, too. I'm usually cursing and "clicking" on strange red/yellow/blue blocks where I think grpahics should be, hoping I'll get something, but I never do. I've attached what my opening Blazer screen looks like - it's been this way for a good 10 mins.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hgoldner View Post
    I have loaded and Opera (along with the Palm Java virtual machine) a handful of times and each time I inevitably return to Blazer. It's not that Blazer is so wonderful, it's that the Java virtual machine, even with all the recommended tweaks to run Opera, is simply not stable enough on my Treo 755p.

In addition, Opera lacks the text handling capabilities that Blazer has (hard to believe 'capabilities' and Blazer are in the same sentence without a 'not').
    Because text handling shouldn't be considering anything special - a feature, in 2009. And I agree. After FINALLY getting Opera loaded and functioning properly, I was quick to abandon it when I realized it lacked copy/paste.
    I see NO graphics with Blazer, and type looks rather cŪ@ppy, too. I'm usually cursing and "clicking" on strange red/yellow/blue blocks where I think grpahics should be, hoping I'll get something, but I never do. I've attached what my opening Blazer screen looks like - it's been this way for a good 10 mins.
    Are you sure Blazer isn't just on "Fast mode" or something? It can be set not to load images... or set TO allow them.
  15.    #15  
    It's set for "Optimized Mode". I've done more cruising around, and found a box checked next to "Don't download images". DUH! I can't help but wonder why it came that way. I see some graphics now, Thanks for the tip!
    It's set for "Optimized Mode". I've done more cruising around, and found a box checked next to "Don't download images". DUH! I can't help but wonder why it came that way. I see some graphics now, Thanks for the tip!
    Switch it from Fast mode to Normal mode and you should see all graphics.
    Ho
    Leak
    Rap

I finally see why people have been raving about Opera Mini. I started out going to familiar and "cooperative" sites, but I recently tried to load some webpages that give Blazer a hard time... and *SNAP* there they were.

I haven't found one, yet, that Opera Mini can't handle. Since I don't copy text from webpages ALL the time, this will definitely come in handy. As for those other times, I guess I'll have to settle for ol' trusty, Blazer.

This is awesome. Once again, I have fallen back in-love with my phone.

The wedding will be next Spring. You're all invited.
  18.    #18  
    Switch it from Fast mode to Normal mode...
    It worked - amazing!

I came to see the Treo light in Jan 2008, after carting the same Motorola phone for 7-8 years and my Handspring Visor for about the same length of time. The 755p seemed to do verything I needed - phone, PDA, and NOT have Windoze. I'm a graphic designer and have a Mac-only business.

That said, I share west3man's opinion of Opera.

The only time Opera hung was during a Saturday-afternoon Boston Red Sox game when I wasn't home. I tried to leave Opera, and the phone started doing the darndest things - first, it did nothing, seemed to shut off, but it wouldn't restart. Then it started blinking - the display, the keyboard. Made me and my DH laugh out loud! I pulled the battery, replaced it, then it wouldn't start at all. I did a warm seset when I got home and it worked with no loss of data. Other than that, it's a great browser!
    Yeah, it's frozen on me at times, too.
    i get that 2 sometimes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast