Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    My ex girl (we are still really cool), has a Cento from AT&T, and I have a Centro from Sprint. I can get 3G speed on my Sprint, but she doesen't get it on her AT&T version. Are the AT&T versions of the Centro not able to use 3G or is it something I can do to make it work. There is no 3G icon or anything when she is online on the phone.
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    The GSM Centro does not do 3G.
    Yeah, having high speed data really transforms the Centro. I like it ten times better than my Treo 650.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    The GSM Centro does not do 3G.

Well that just sucks. Could that be changed with a simple firmware update? (if they ever release one for the GSM version, which is doubtful with the Pre coming soon)

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Why the hell would AT&T not include the ability to do 3G on their version of the Centro. That's just dumb IMO. (yaaa, finally made it to 300 posts! lol)
    Last edited by djraw; 03/02/2009 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Forgot to add a letter.
    None of the GSM centros do 3G.
    Let's take it further. No Palm OS device on GSM does 3G. It has to do with the implementation of the 3G standard in GSM which calls for a device to be able to data and call at the same time. This is something Palm OS can't do. The standard for CDMA is not so rigid so we get 3G data on Sprint but if a call comes thru while on the net we have to choose whether or not to end the data transmission (not a big deal unless you are downloading something)
    i think the sprint 3g (or almost 3g, since i've read it's not actually 3 G) was ready before the AT& T 3G.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Yeah, having high speed data really transforms the Centro. I like it ten times better than my Treo 650.
    OTOH the GSM 650 was much faster at downloading data than the CDMA 650.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Well I actullay talked to our AT&T rep today, (I work for RadioShack, and no, we're not goin outta business) and he said that there would be a firmwear update that would enable the centros on AT&T to do 3G. He may have not known what the hell he was talkin about, but he said it.
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    And why shouldn't there be? AT&T has 3G phones. There are 3G Centros. Why should it be impossible to put the two together at AT&T?
    Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post
    And why shouldn't there be? AT&T has 3G phones. There are 3G Centros. Why should it be impossible to put the two together at AT&T?
    because the ATT version doesn't have the hardware to do 3G
    Because the only 3G centros are based upon CDMA technology which is incompatible with GSM.