Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    I have been using my Treo 750 and the WinCE/WM platform for quite some time. I just recently was given a Treo 650 by a friend because all to many know how much I love gadgets. So I charged up the battery since it uses the same dock/ports that my 750 uses and I put a 1GB SD card in it from my digital camera.

Wow the screen is better (320x320) than my 750 (2 year later model ) which was the first thing I noticed when viewing the contents of the storage card (pictures). Anyway, I'm new to the PalmOS side of things, so how do I go about working between my 750 and this (650) phone? I guess what I envision is to be able to use one phone for a couple weeks, then the next, or something like that. I'm not well versed in Palm, but I know WM inside and out.

How would I go about getting my contacts (stored on the device) off of my Treo 750 and get them on the 650. I use SPB Backup for my 750 because it works great and I do alot of "crazy" things to my 750 which have sometimes rendered it useless w/o a wipe. OK, so I need contacts (which have name, address, email, phone (cell, work, etc.)) from one phone to the next. My 750 has a 4GB miniSDHC card in it. I don't know if the 650 recognizes SDHC, but if it does I can pull the 1GB card and replace it with the SD > miniSD adapter.

I'll need to sync my exchange (work) email as well as bring in my yahoo account, so I dont think that will be hard, I just might as well let you all know what I'm about to be doing in case you see a problem and can head it off

What programs would I use for the WM equivalents like SPB Pocket Plus, Google Maps ( i assume theres a palm os version if I go to their site), media player (like MortPlayer) or something that'll play OGG, avi, mpg, mp3, etc. Is there a way to tether like I do with "Internet Sharing" with my laptop.

Suggestions, Advice, Answers would all help. Is it a completely stupid idea to go back to an older phone if I just want to learn some about it and see how I like it? Was the 650 a bad device? Did it have major problems that I'm going to find out soon enough?

Thanks in advance,

ShuckYD
    Last edited by ShuckyD; 02/24/2009 at 10:05 PM.
    AT&T Treo Pro WM6.1 with 8GB microSDHC | Treo 750 WM6.1 with 4GB miniSDHC | Samsung Epix ... needs a better OS, too buggy!
    Palm is simple enough to use. Coming from a WM user, don't expect to have the same features.

Functions maybe, like as you said: Tethering connection can be done via USB Modem or PDANet from June Fabrics.

Natively, the SD card you can use max is 2Gb. There are fixes to allow you to use higher capacity but would require custom ROM.

Moving contacts can be done via Microsoft Outlook. However due to limitations of some of the fields within Palm's internal DB, not all data may sync properly. Synching two devices with different DB structure may be achievable but not always ideal.

Is the 650 a bad device? In my experience, as long as you start clean and not try to non-compatible software (due to NVFS), it will provide useability. It is not without problems.

I have put beta software that I tend to corrupt my device more often than I want. A good backup is always a must. It a device that has only about 23M memory and is a single threading device. There are some software functions it will do in the background but not all.

Google maps are downloadable from Google. However, the version available there is for Centro primarily but is still useable for the 650 except for the My Location function.

Pocket Tunes for playing music or you can use the limited Real Player version that is with the base OS.

My suggestion is to start with the basics such as what you wanted, contacts. Backup, backup and backup.

Good luck and read up on the stickies for the 650.
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    Cool, what do you think about "beam contacts" from the 750 to the 650. I did it with my home contact last night and it seemed to work. I wanted to make sure i didnt loose it on the 750 and I couldnt figure out how to do it for all my many contacts without going through 1 at a time... tips? I dont sync my contacts with Outlook for other reasons, so all my contacts are stored on my 750 with additional information (cell, home, email, website, address) if necessary.

What PalmOS backup software would you reccommened? Anything freeware?
    Last edited by ShuckyD; 02/25/2009 at 09:52 AM.
    AT&T Treo Pro WM6.1 with 8GB microSDHC | Treo 750 WM6.1 with 4GB miniSDHC | Samsung Epix ... needs a better OS, too buggy!
    Via IR, I completely forgot about that. That too works, although I am not sure the grouping (i.e. friends, work, family, business, etc) would transfer through.

For backup there is a freeware: NVBackup. The commercial backup ones like RescoBackup and Backupman are good too and are worth the money for the actual support.
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    I found a program now to select multiple contacts in WM6, and I go to send them, the problem is that each time I recieve on on the Palm side, I need to accept it. I'm not worried about groupings as I havent ever grouped them. Is there a way to just bulk export (think I got that figured out in WM6) from the 750 to import (this is where I need to confirm one at a time) them to the 650. If not it'll take me days to get 200 +/- over
    Which software are you using to send your contacts from the 750?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Palm is simple enough to use. Coming from a WM user, don't expect to have the same features.

Functions maybe, like as you said: Tethering connection can be done via USB Modem or PDANet from June Fabrics.

Natively, the SD card you can use max is 2Gb. There are fixes to allow you to use higher capacity but would require custom ROM.

Moving contacts can be done via Microsoft Outlook. However due to limitations of some of the fields within Palm's internal DB, not all data may sync properly. Synching two devices with different DB structure may be achievable but not always ideal.

Is the 650 a bad device? In my experience, as long as you start clean and not try to non-compatible software (due to NVFS), it will provide useability. It is not without problems.

I have put beta software that I tend to corrupt my device more often than I want. A good backup is always a must. It a device that has only about 23M memory and is a single threading device. There are some software functions it will do in the background but not all.

Google maps are downloadable from Google. However, the version available there is for Centro primarily but is still useable for the 650 except for the My Location function.

Pocket Tunes for playing music or you can use the limited Real Player version that is with the base OS.

My suggestion is to start with the basics such as what you wanted, contacts. Backup, backup and backup.

Good luck and read up on the stickies for the 650.
    What custom rom would you suggest, or where can I get custom roms for 650?