Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    this was brought in another thread but thought it was worth discussing.

    It was mentioned by several posters that one of their biggest gripes about lack of multitasking on palm os was the example of being in blazer and typing a post only to be interrupted by a phone call and losing all the typing that had been done.

    I just want to point out through my playing with TealOS you can be in blazer typing a response to a thread receive a phone call, answer it, hangup, hit the home button to bring up the cards, go back into the blazer card and it redraws the screen and all your typed info remains. The same goes for typing and email in chatter and receive a call. The partial email remains in tact when you go back after the call. same with text messaging.

    Granted this still doesn't change the initial interruption to just a small notifier like on the pre, but all is not lost when you receive a call. This may be common knowledge already, if so please disregard.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
  2. hova's Avatar
    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #2  
    You could have just asked this in the same thread you opened about Tealos. Respectfully.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
  3.    #3  
    Fair enough if the mods just want to merge it that's fine. Not purposely tying to clutter the board.

    Thought discussion could be limited to this topic in this thread.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
  4. #4  
    I originally allowed this TealOS discussion to reside in the Pre section because it was a hot topic somewhat related to WebOS.
    But really, TealOS is a Palm OS app.

    And it seems it's well enough known now that it can be moved to where it belongs.

    thoughts?
    Just call me Berd.
  5. #5  
    Definitely belongs in Palm os.
  6. #6  
    Moving now
    Just call me Berd.
  7. migs's Avatar
    Posts
    875 Posts
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    #7  
    (copied this from other thread)If Tealpoint figures out a way to return to an application where it just left off, then they could have the most revolutionary launcher ever made for the almost extinct Palm OS.

    I have been able to pseudo-multitask with an little known app called Accessorizer by A. Pruss, it will alow you to come back to an previously open application EXACTLY where you left off.
    So it can be done, they just need to figure it out.
  8. #8  
    But that's a VERY simple form of multi-tasking, it only allows for 1 app to run over-top of another app--not simultaneously. Plus it only allows involvement of no more than 2 apps at the 'same time' so it's nowhere near real multitasking capabilities such as the Pre.

    As an analogy, if WebOS multitasking is like your computer, able to run multiple apps simultaneously, then PalmOS is like your home stereo: sure it can play tapes, CDs & the radio, but you can only do one at a time. DAs? I guess they'd be a casette tape: you can put the CD (your current app) on pause, play the casette tape (launch the DA), then when you're ready to go back to the CD, you eject the tape and un-pause your CD to pick up where you left off. The CD is unable to play while the casette is playing, much like your original app 'freezes' while your DA is running.

    Get it?
  9.    #9  
    Yeah I get the concept, I just don't get the need on a smartphone. Why do I need my mail compose program live, while I'm checking the internet, or on the phone. The only example that I've seen was you could open your web browser and start downloading something and go do something else while it downloaded in the background. I guess the same could be true for gps, driving in the car, take a call and go back to gps and it would have your current location without having to reload. Both seem relatively minor.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    As an analogy, if WebOS multitasking is like your computer, able to run multiple apps simultaneously, then PalmOS is like your home stereo: sure it can play tapes, CDs & the radio, but you can only do one at a time. DAs? I guess they'd be a casette tape: you can put the CD (your current app) on pause, play the casette tape (launch the DA), then when you're ready to go back to the CD, you eject the tape and un-pause your CD to pick up where you left off. The CD is unable to play while the casette is playing, much like your original app 'freezes' while your DA is running.
    Good example

    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Yeah I get the concept, I just don't get the need on a smartphone. Why do I need my mail compose program live, while I'm checking the internet, or on the phone. The only example that I've seen was you could open your web browser and start downloading something and go do something else while it downloaded in the background. I guess the same could be true for gps, driving in the car, take a call and go back to gps and it would have your current location without having to reload. Both seem relatively minor.
    Longhorn - I know what ur saying. I've always had a palm phone and never really understood the strong desire to have multitasking. Other then having IM run ibehind the sceens, it seemed like over kill on such a small device. However, now that i am seeing what Pre has to offer, i'm starting to change my tune. Having e-mail open, IM and SMS all at the same time does sound pretty good.
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  11. sfhub's Avatar
    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    (copied this from other thread)If Tealpoint figures out a way to return to an application where it just left off, then they could have the most revolutionary launcher ever made for the almost extinct Palm OS.

    I have been able to pseudo-multitask with an little known app called Accessorizer by A. Pruss, it will alow you to come back to an previously open application EXACTLY where you left off.
    So it can be done, they just need to figure it out.
    That is also a feature of Phone Technician from Hobbyist Software.

    In addition to expanding your volume levels to something you can hear in a noisy environment, it has an optional "Stay Put" feature which allows you to stay in your app while answering a call. The screen doesn't change when you answer a call, it stays on the original app.

    For me 95% of the time, I don't really need true multi-tasking on my phone. All I need is interruption protection when a call comes in. That can be achieved through something like Stay Put in Phone Technician. True multitasking would obviously also satisfy the requirements, but I'm not going to expect that on PalmOS.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Yeah I get the concept, I just don't get the need on a smartphone. Why do I need my mail compose program live, while I'm checking the internet, or on the phone. The only example that I've seen was you could open your web browser and start downloading something and go do something else while it downloaded in the background. I guess the same could be true for gps, driving in the car, take a call and go back to gps and it would have your current location without having to reload. Both seem relatively minor.
    I kind of already said this in the "dress thread", but your comment made me think of something else: You very well may not want a Pre. Maybe you do just want to save some money and just be a TealOS user. This conversation does seem to be going the direction of, "it all depends on what you want." I do think that the Pre answers a "need" that exists among all of the diehard Facebookers out there: I want to be able to access my Facebook life at any time, but I still have to work, answer the phone, etc. People love having their MSN Messenger sitting at the bottom of their desktop giving a little chime or flash or popup every time somebody jumps on or want to talk to them (as opposed to going to look up who is online). The Pre's "live" multitasking allows that kind of interaction, and, if Palm gets people to use it, I think that kind of feature is going to be huge.

    Just MHO.
  13.    #13  
    I'm probably just too old, (41) I'm not on facebook and the only thing similar I use is Plaxo for business. However, Palm is smart to emphasize those features as the demo younger than me is a sweet spot for current phone purchases and the future. Good business.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
  14. #14  
    I often find the need to reference multiple medical apps for work (PalmOS has HUNDREDS of great free apps for the medical field), & with Web OS I could easily have them all open, use one app to look up an ailment, use another to look up prescriptions, use another to check for drug interactions... on PalmOS this takes quite a while to do; even with every app Accessorized to DAs, I still need to to a lot of hopping back & forth between apps, & every time you re-launch a DA it starts from the beginning, which is rather discouraging with a huge medical database to have to re-locate my spot every time. Just an example of a huge advantage of real multitasking.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Yeah I get the concept, I just don't get the need on a smartphone.
    One quick example…you are at BestBuy looking for an LCD. You have already done research online and narrowed things down to 3 models. But you notice 2 other models that you really like from what you see. You get online to do some research (read reviews, etc.). You then surf around to see if you can find a better price. You come up with two other options, but they might take a week for delivery. You probably call them to see if you can get a better deal. Now you open your SMS and send a quick message to your bank (Chase) to find get your balance or open Quicken. Now you want to open the calculator to figure out all the financial pros and cons. Now you call your spouse to give all the details. Unlike what the banks did with Congress, you need to have all the details at hand when talking to your spouse. If not your request will get vetoed right away or you might have to go back home to give the details. So now you can go from the browser, to your bank account balance (SMS or Quicken), to the calculator, and to the phone. More importantly, you can go back and forward as much as you like without loosing the data you have on any particular screen.

    And you do all this while sitting on a very comfortable chair at BestBuy without having to do any copy/paste or writing things down.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

    Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  16. #16  
    But the point made in other places is that a properly written program will remember its state when the application closed and return to that state when reopened. Not many low end programs will do that however on the POS. Docs2Go and memos are two of them. I would often go from a word file there back to the launcher and start something else. Close that and make a call and return to the word doc and have it still open to the exact spot it was in when it left. That isn't multitasking. That is remembering the status on exit. That is a lot less resource intensive and is what is needed on a smartphone. The downside is a hung app will drop the entire phone os as it will not yield control to something else but it does work well with low hardware requirements.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    this was brought in another thread but thought it was worth discussing.

    It was mentioned by several posters that one of their biggest gripes about lack of multitasking on palm os was the example of being in blazer and typing a post only to be interrupted by a phone call and losing all the typing that had been done.

    I just want to point out through my playing with TealOS you can be in blazer typing a response to a thread receive a phone call, answer it, hangup, hit the home button to bring up the cards, go back into the blazer card and it redraws the screen and all your typed info remains. The same goes for typing and email in chatter and receive a call. The partial email remains in tact when you go back after the call. same with text messaging.

    Granted this still doesn't change the initial interruption to just a small notifier like on the pre, but all is not lost when you receive a call. This may be common knowledge already, if so please disregard.
    This is my gripe I mentioned and requires Chatter be set to display a popup window of an incoming email if using another application:
    While entering text within a text box in blazer (such as posting to these forums) if I receive an email, causing a popup window, the text I was entering in blazer is completely wiped out. I suppose I could disable the popup notification but I like it. I have not tried your reference of it not being erased in blazer if a phone call comes in.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

    HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers

Posting Permissions