Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Wow, I must say that after playing with tealos on my centro for a couple days my anticipation for the pre has waned. Teal OS has me questioning whether I even need to get a pre at this point.

In looking at what additional things the Pre would provide, it has me questioning the need to upgrade.

Biggest Pre Advantages

Larger screen but at the expense of a full time front facing keyboard

no denying the larger screen is nice but I've never had a slider and not sure how much I will like or dislike not having full-time keyboard

gps

for me I don't really use the gps I have in my car already. certainly would be fun and a must have for any new phone based on competition. I've never understood why Palm couldn't have easily added this to the palm OS phones long ago. Plus there are many 3rd party solutions

Multitasking

comment - honestly I probably need to be educated on the need for multitasking. The only situation I can think of that would require mulitasking while I use my palm is listening to music while doing something else and existing palms can already do this. someone help here why this is a big item

Synching with the cloud

jury is still out for me on the usefullness of this feature. I already can synch my family's google calendar with outlook and synch. Latest centro has facebook app for those who use facebook. As been discussed, I don't generally like the idea of all my private contact info out in the cloud for security. May be unfounded on my part

Wifi

No doubt this is a nice feature, but from what I've read wifi is not always faster than the 3g network. Not really something I have experience with and nothing I've not been able to live without to this point.

Advantages for TealOS and Centro

Only $15 upgrade to phone
    Maintain my sd card slot
    Still have 5 way dpad which works great on TealOS, not limited to only gestures
    Legacy apps
    Maintain my SERO Plan

If nothing else I think this may tide me over until the first pre update arrives and fixes the first batch of problems
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Oh, if only it had the larger screen......
    The Teal skin doesn't really add anything. It's just an alternate way to access PalmOS. Much like touchflo for the HTC devices. I don't think it even enhances it but takes away from the simplicity of palmOS. There's no need for cards.. Hard buttons already perform the tasks of the launcher.

If a launcher is enough to give new life to an old OS..then be happy. But its hardly a substitute for the Pre.
    Dude... your comparing a skin program to a completely new OS?

i think u've allowed some quick hands and pretty pictures to cloud your judgement.

That's like a bueaty contest between a 80 year old women and a 24 year old wearing the same dress. no way. no way.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I don't want a faux Pre, I want the real deal. My 700P has aged quite rapidly with the birth of the Pre.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  6.    #6  
    the pre is also a new slick UI to perform the same functions people use everyday, phone, email, text, and web surfing. Its not like the pre creates substantially new applications. Biggest improvement will be probably come in media playing and I suppose those who will utilize the cloud integration.
    hmmm....well.....
    TealOS just makes me want the Pre even more.
    Although it probably will hold me over until my current contract runs out and I can get the subsidized price.
    Depends. If you know the fully functionality of the Pre, you would probably think differently
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    That's like a bueaty contest between a 80 year old women and a 24 year old wearing the same dress. no way. no way.
    Mmm. I love me some 80 year old's in skimpy dresses.
    LOL

But yea, you can't compare a PalmOS skin to a brand new OS with the same look.
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    the pre is also a new slick UI to perform the same functions people use everyday, phone, email, text, and web surfing. Its not like the pre creates substantially new applications. Biggest improvement will be probably come in media playing and I suppose those who will utilize the cloud integration.
    Um, no?

The Pre is a new handset with upgraded hardware all around. You no longer need a stylus or most of the buttons, and the device is almost all screen, and capacitive screen at that. The processor is more powerful, the headphone jack is better, and it has an accelerometer for easy landscape/portrait usage and switching.

That doesn't even touch WebOS which has a new modern architecture, far superior Web browsing to anything on PalmOS, non-obtrusive notifications (a big one for me), apps that always stay live even if you leave them, and many other modern functions PalmOS will not have.

If you think there's no real difference, you're wasting your money on any Pre, any WebOS device, and any modern handset, for that matter. Buy lots of Treos at fire sale prices, and keep them secured in a temperature-controlled environment. Enjoy.
    Don't forget all the future appls that will show up on the webOS as compared to dead POS.
  12.    #12  
    One the programmers at TealPoint are pretty impressive to kick this thing out in 45 days since the CES show as has been claimed.

Second, it drives home the point how inept palm handled their improvements to their products. Where they could have easily milked substantially more profits from the palm os platform if they had been focusing on improving it instead of wasting time on foleos and the like
    One the programmers at TealPoint are pretty impressive to kick this thing out in 45 days since the CES show as has been claimed.

Second, it drives home the point how inept palm handled their improvements to their products. Where they could have easily milked substantially more profits from the palm os platform if they had been focusing on improving it instead of wasting time on foleos and the like
    Not that I disagree with Palm's stagnancy - because I consider that kinda inarguable - but how is churning out new launchers an improvement to PalmOS? I don't consider TealOS a PalmOS improvement anymore than I consider Windows Mobile 6.5 a Windows Mobile improvement. Both instances have almost all of the improvements limited to the start screen and its launch capabilities. Once you go deeper into the OS, you pretty much lose the improvements.
    I'm kind of partial to the capacitive screen, notifications, multitasking, webkit browser, bigger screen, and synergy.

Rev a evdo, better bluetooth, headphone jack, better resolution, better looking apps (expect quite a few at launch like docs to go, pandora, etc), etc..

All those things add up.
    For me the biggest problem with sticking with my Centro, Teal or not, is the Blazer Web Browser isn't up to modern standards. T
  16.    #16  
    Unlike most of the posters on this forum, the general public is swayed by out of the box glitz and glam. For most consumers, a new UI might as well be a completely new OS because they really don't care what's going on behind the current. Again, they just want their smartphone to do the tasks they want.

If palm would have kicked out a flush screen 480x320 centro/treo with the new skin and added wifi and gps. They would have sold a ton of them and probably still could. Minimal development costs. Most companies could have brought an incremental improvement such as these to an existing product in 6-9 months. Palm could have still been forging ahead with webOS and the Pre at the same time.

Look I'm not trying to dog the Pre. It looks to be great product and yes its hardware and OS are nicer than the skinned palmos. I just think many posters on this board lose site that at the end of the day a smarthphone is a tool to accomplish tasks.

ok, yes... no pre for you... too easy... next!
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
  18.    #18  
    How many of those things could have just been added to palm os along the way.
    How many of those things could have just been added to palm os along the way.
    I have never really seen the need for desktop OS other than DOS myself.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    If palm would have kicked out a flush screen 480x320 centro/treo with the new skin and added wifi and gps. They would have sold a ton of them and probably still could. Minimal development costs.
    And what about the 1000's of apps written for a 320x320 screen?? If you're going to force developers to revise might as well start out completely fresh. I'm in.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast