Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    I think the demos were all connected via wifi.
    hmm, you might be right, but I'm still sure I've heard that it's an always on connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You know, there was a lot of debate over that letter from engadget to palm. I got into some on here if i remember right. One of the big things was that the engadget editor was just all over Android and adamant that palm quit wasting its time designing a new OS and just get with the android program.

I thought that would be silly, make palm just another android clone, and they'd be in the same boat as palm OS in having an OS that they can't do everything they'd like to do with it. They'd also be hard pressed to be able to pump out updates and forget about app stores.

Palm needed to be palm and do or die with a new OS.

What if palm had chosen android and not done webOS at all? Would they have any buzz? Would it have been a death senence? Some of these new features may not have been possible.

Oops..sorry if that was OT.

Not OT. These are all good points. however, we need this phone to come out to really settle them. If this is a dude or the OS is all buggy, going to Android may have been the better move. Also -we need to save this thread for 2 years from know and 5 or 6 PalmOs Phones later to discuss how the 2 OS' s have agded and see if the open source android looks better becasue it is free and eveyone is calaborating on it.

IMO, i;m w/ You. Palm had to go on ther eown, w/ there own OS. The total control of the OS will make a big differenace these next few years wehn the growth potential is enormous.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Wifi on my Treo is more than enought to upgrade. Its all it really needed to be a complete phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    Not OT. These are all good points. however, we need this phone to come out to really settle them. If this is a dude or the OS is all buggy, going to Android may have been the better move.
    Given how long it's taken Android to get substantial updates and how long it's taking more than one Android device to appear anywhere in the world, I'm going to say that no matter what shape WebOS is in when it ships, developing it was a better idea than Palm throwing all their eggs in the Android basket.

And I've used a G1 for a little bit. Plenty of potential, but Android as it currently is...hot mess. THAT is what happens when you rush a new OS and device to market before it is ready.
    I sincerely doubt that anyone is going to be able to hang on to Palm OS for years with no new hardware sales and, thus, no new software or updates to software. Actually, Palm OS users have already been doing this for a couple of years so, never mind.

However, it would work for someone who doesn't want to deal with gamma testing of a new platform or is simply waiting to see if the Pre takes off before committing to an upgrade.
    To me, the biggest advantage of Wifi is foreign travel. Which I don't do much, but there is this resort in Mexico my wife and I love. Cell minutes are .99 each, but wifi in the lobby is free!!!!!! That would likely be true most other places. You wouldn't have that always on thing, but could still access via wifi where you can find it.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Palm (who's made many past mistakes, no doubt) probably saw the first iphone and thought there's no way any kind of dress up is going to compete with that. Back to the drawing board....
    Actually, it was the BlackBerry Pearl release in September 2006 that made Palm realize they needed to go back to the drawing board, not the iPhone release nine months later in June 2007. Good thing too, or they would be even further behind in getting us the Pre and WebOS.

In a recent interview with Elevation Partners' Roger McNamee, the Palm investor explained that Palm knew it had to step up its game after RIM launched the BlackBerry Pearl, which he described as "the first real consumer electronics product in the smartphone category."
    Switched On: With Pre, Palm breaks from the Storm - Engadget
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Given how long it's taken Android to get substantial updates and how long it's taking more than one Android device to appear anywhere in the world, I'm going to say that no matter what shape WebOS is in when it ships, developing it was a better idea than Palm throwing all their eggs in the Android basket.

And I've used a G1 for a little bit. Plenty of potential, but Android as it currently is...hot mess. THAT is what happens when you rush a new OS and device to market before it is ready.
    How about the ANdroid learning curve? I.e. It's a hot mess know, but will it improve at a pace which is quicker then the pace Palm can update the Web OS?

I suggest this possibility based on the idea of an open Platform. With so many companies looking toward android - LG, Samsing, Moto - there will be alot more R&D behind development for the droid as opposed to WebOS. All support & development for Web OS comes out of Palms pocket.

With Android free and Open Source, isn't there a strong possibility it will improve at a pace the closed platforms - WebOS, iPhone, WinMo 6.5 - can't match (or won't want to spend the money to match)

(Disclamier - I've never used the G1. This is all hypotethical for disucssion)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Back to the original discussion, the TealOS is great. However, I have always thought, and confirm it with the TealOS, that the 5-way is much faster to use than a touch screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Back to the original discussion, the TealOS is great. However, I have always thought, and confirm it with the TealOS, that the 5-way is much faster to use than a touch screen.
    I use the 5 way Nav button because I still don't like using the screen. I guess I'll have to adjust when the Pre comes out.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    ^^^just switch back and forth between cards. To me it is like having tabs.
    Totally like having tabs...except when it's not.

One of the main differences between TealOS cards and webOS cards is something else I love about tabs, or multiple windows open on my desktop - they're all live. That means I get to stay in the post I was just writing, or keep track of what somebody is saying to me in instant messenger, or listen for an alarm on a stock I'm watching, or listen to a presentation (like the State of the Union Address on Youtube - only want to hear it) in one window while I work/play in another window, etc. etc.

Live means that I really get to multi-task, rather than jumping back and forth from one task to another.

All that being said, I was playing the TealOS more last night, and for $15 it's pretty slick.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123