Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    For me, the web browser and the "always on" evdo is more than enough reason to upgrade. I'm so freakin tired of blazer and having to wait like 30 seconds for the stupid thing to connect! I love the keyboard on my 755p, but other than that, I feel like I'm carrying an antiquated brick when I walk around with it.
    I've no clue but its really too late to worry about it. MS has made a living off of dressing up programs and reselling them as another version.

Palm (who's made many past mistakes, no doubt) probably saw the first iphone and thought there's no way any kind of dress up is going to compete with that. Back to the drawing board...

PalmOS ran its course.. That's not to say its not usable but it was time for them to move on or die.
  3.    #23  
    Yes, the pre has features and improvements the centro/treo doesn't/won't have.

Still nobody has explained the fundamental need for multitasking on the smartphone. I'm sure its important and things will run faster, but maybe someone could share how they plan to use that feature in their everyday usage of the device.

gps, and wifi are self explanatory but weren't really limitations of palmos as I understand it, they were just never implemented by palm.

I agree with the poster's unhappiness with the blazer web browsing experience. This would probably be the biggest improvement I would use on a daily basis with the pre.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    OK, so you asked about multi tasking. It kind of reminds me what Firefox did when they came out with tabs. I remember the first time I saw that, I was like, "Why would I want to have 10 web pages open right next to each other? I've got a 'back' button." Now I'm a tab user extraordinaire. I bet I'm not the only one. It's nice to be able to go back and forth between your work effortlessly. The more the line between our work and play and whatever is grayed, the more I'm going to want to flip back and forth between the related applications.

Favorite parts of TealOS: Flicking apps away to close, and turning pages to go between applications (further enhanced inside of webOS). I agree - TealOS gets me more excited.
    @LonghornTreo, don't you get tired of being on the web or typing a memo or Word Document and have it interrupted by a phone call or text message? It COMPLETELY interrupts what I'm doing and forces me out of an app. And then having to quit that app and start it over is kind of frustrating
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Think about what you multitask with on the desktop. Might be doing a doc and you need to quickly look up something on the net. Might decide to play a quick game while working on a list. Might need to use the calculator while looking at something else. Call someone in the middle of composing an email and need to see another email as well to copy and paste.

List goes on..lol
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Still nobody has explained the fundamental need for multitasking on the smartphone. I'm sure its important and things will run faster, but maybe someone could share how they plan to use that feature in their everyday usage of the device.
    I'll revisit this question and supply an answer after I've had a Pre in my hands for a couple of weeks.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  8.    #28  
    ^^^Fair enough, those are good concrete examples and but with the tealos on most applications I'm right back where I left off when I left the card. so it accomplishes most of what your talking about. Typing an email, want to look something on the web, go to the blazer card, look it up, back to the email card and I'm right where I left off composing my email. Same with making a list, and jumping to game. just switch back and forth between cards. To me it is like having tabs.
    Last edited by LonghornTreo; 02/24/2009 at 12:45 PM.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    @LonghornTreo, don't you get tired of being on the web or typing a memo or Word Document and have it interrupted by a phone call or text message? It COMPLETELY interrupts what I'm doing and forces me out of an app. And then having to quit that app and start it over is kind of frustrating
    I can't tell you how many times I've been replying to or posting something to these forums via Blazer, only to receive a new email pop-up message from Chatter, and then have everything I just typed into my forum post erased.. Grrr!!!
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    For me, the web browser and the "always on" evdo is more than enough reason to upgrade. I'm so freakin tired of blazer and having to wait like 30 seconds for the stupid thing to connect! I love the keyboard on my 755p, but other than that, I feel like I'm carrying an antiquated brick when I walk around with it.
    I didn't know that the Pre was always connected to EVDO. I assumed we'd still have to wait for the data connection. Where did you see that?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    How many of those things could have just been added to palm os along the way.
    Wifi could not be added as a limitation to PalmOS. GPS, I'm not sure. Spending time on making an OS? Sure, that's possible, but why take those ideas they wre goiing to put into the Pre and put it on the Centro? That would certainly make the Pre look less new. Even though the Foloe failed, it's smarter to work on something new than trying to squeeze a little bit more out of an ancient OS.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Yes, the pre has features and improvements the centro/treo doesn't/won't have.

gps, and wifi are self explanatory but weren't really limitations of palmos as I understand it, they were just never implemented by palm.

I agree with the poster's unhappiness with the blazer web browsing experience. This would probably be the biggest improvement I would use on a daily basis with the pre.
    try this:
    go to blazer, type ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Sports...
    then go to calendar, check a few appointments...
    then go to notes, type a few reminders...
    then go back to blazer to view the page that's "supposed" to be loaded and waiting for you...

nope... no page loaded... too bad, no multitasking
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro

Look I'm not trying to dog the Pre. It looks to be great product and yes its hardware and OS are nicer than the skinned palmos. I just think many posters on this board lose site that at the end of the day a smarthphone is a tool to accomplish tasks.
    I think that's a bit like going to a Corvette forum and and reminding people that the point of a car is to get you from point A to B.

Yes, but a Corvette and a Ford Focus accomplish the same basic task, but clearly they aren't equivalent. Even if The Focus has a few features that are better than the Corvette (better gas milage, etc)
    I wonder just how much a kick Teal could be with WM.
    The limitations you mentioned, all except synergy, are all available with a full screen WM device.
    And we'd have an Expansion Slot too
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I wonder just how much a kick Teal could be with WM.
    The limitations you mentioned, all except synergy, are all available with a full screen WM device.
    And we'd have an Expansion Slot too
    yup... that'll be nice to have...
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
    You know, there was a lot of debate over that letter from engadget to palm. I got into some on here if i remember right. One of the big things was that the engadget editor was just all over Android and adamant that palm quit wasting its time designing a new OS and just get with the android program.

I thought that would be silly, make palm just another android clone, and they'd be in the same boat as palm OS in having an OS that they can't do everything they'd like to do with it. They'd also be hard pressed to be able to pump out updates and forget about app stores.

Palm needed to be palm and do or die with a new OS.

What if palm had chosen android and not done webOS at all? Would they have any buzz? Would it have been a death senence? Some of these new features may not have been possible.

Oops..sorry if that was OT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    I didn't know that the Pre was always connected to EVDO. I assumed we'd still have to wait for the data connection. Where did you see that?
    I think it was pretty much shown in the presentations. You never see a "connecting..." screen. Maybe its done really quick in the background, but I dunno. Also, assuming there's push email, then you would need to be always on for that also.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I think it was pretty much shown in the presentations. You never see a "connecting..." screen. Maybe its done really quick in the background, but I dunno. Also, assuming there's push email, then you would need to be always on for that also.
    I think the demos were all connected via wifi.
    One the programmers at TealPoint are pretty impressive to kick this thing out in 45 days since the CES show as has been claimed.

Second, it drives home the point how inept palm handled their improvements to their products. Where they could have easily milked substantially more profits from the palm os platform if they had been focusing on improving it instead of wasting time on foleos and the like
    ok .. this is fare. Maybe not alot more products, but better selling products. The OS would have looked alot more modern. And 45 days to kick this out, even w/ the few bugs people are reporting is pretty cool stuff.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I can't tell you how many times I've been replying to or posting something to these forums via Blazer, only to receive a new email pop-up message from Chatter, and then have everything I just typed into my forum post erased.. Grrr!!!
    LOL exactly
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast