Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    UPDATE:

i read on another forum that some users with treo 680 have been getting the same freezes on incoming and outgoing calls.

some people installed this app called safeguard and the freezing stopped. i gave it a try and my centro hasn't froze for over a day now (knock on wood). it used to freeze whenever it goes into deep sleep for over 10 mins.

just thought i share with your guys about this. there's also no fast battery drain. for those who don't know, REM sleep also eliminates the freeze problem but the centro battery drains very fast.

does anyone know why safeguard stops the freezing? the app detects app crashes and logs resets and etc. i'm loving my centro again. i love this phone lol.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi all, so after installing the custom ROM found here (thnx for it btw), my centro still froze once when i received a call on the same day i installed the custom rom.

anyways i found out this phenomenon, i installed this app (treo battery 3.2), and it tracks battery usage real time. when the centro screen is on, it uses about 120mA, when screen is off it uses about 15mA, but in deep sleep it uses as little as 3mA.

i realized that if i call my centro from my landline when it is in this DEEP sleep mode (3mA), the centro will hang. so in the treo battery 3.2 app i set the app to poll battery every second. so now battery will always drain at 15mA when sleeping.

my centro has not hanged once since I did this 3 days ago. only downside is that after 24hrs, the battery when from 100% to 50%, including a few short calls, txts and calendar usage etc.

i absolutely love the centro. it form factor, software, and usability is great. too bad it's freeze problems are crippling it. although it doesn'y hang anymore it's using more battery. since an extra standard battery off ebay is only $20 it's ok.

has anyone tried this? please report back too.
    Last edited by indyrodeo9; 05/30/2009 at 12:44 PM.
    Well that freezing problem isn't normal, I'd bet you have a 3rd party file installed that's actually causing it.

Do me a favor:

Back up everything with NVBackup and a Hotsync. Then hard reset. Now try calling your device while it's sleeping. I bet it doesn't cause a reset then. Let us know how it goes.
  3.    #3  
    ^ strange. i got the impression from your post that the centro freeze/hang problem isnt quite well known. many people have had that problem.

i've done many hard resets and i didn't sync the centro on purpose to make sure it wasnt caused by any 3rd party apps. it sometimes still froze. i will give it more time to see if my centro stays in good shap.
    I've never had a reset on an incoming call. In fact, I rarely get resets at all-only once every couple months; & that's usually when I find a really old and/or Japanese app (usually DAs) that I installed to play around with. If there was a known reset bug Palm would have fixed it, they're pretty good about fixing major issues like that. Do you have the latest firmware for your device? Do you have any apps that are triggered by an incoming call (Phone Technician or a ringtone managing app, for example)? Try disabling/deleting those, soft reset, & test again. Have you tried downloading Reset Doctor to see what a crash report tells you? I'm certain this problem can be fixed.
    I haven't seen/heard much about any freezing or hanging on the Centro. 700p yes, but so far, the Centro's been pretty solid.
    My Centro never freezes unless I'm using Opera Mini. And it almost never resets.
    I haven't heard my wife complaining about hers either...Picking mine up tonight I hope.
    you have a defective phone. Centro's dont hand or freeze. Reset on a rare occasion.

Palm sucks at fixing problems ..take the 700p for example.

Quote Originally Posted by indyrodeo9 View Post
    hi all, so after installing the custom ROM found here (thnx for it btw), my centro still froze once when i received a call on the same day i installed the custom rom.

anyways i found out this phenomenon, i installed this app (treo battery 3.2), and it tracks battery usage real time. when the centro screen is on, it uses about 120mA, when screen is off it uses about 15mA, but in deep sleep it uses as little as 3mA.

i realized that if i call my centro from my landline when it is in this DEEP sleep mode (3mA), the centro will hang. so in the treo battery 3.2 app i set the app to poll battery every second. so now battery will always drain at 15mA when sleeping.

my centro has not hanged once since I did this 3 days ago. only downside is that after 24hrs, the battery when from 100% to 50%, including a few short calls, txts and calendar usage etc.

i absolutely love the centro. it form factor, software, and usability is great. too bad it's freeze problems are crippling it. although it doesn'y hang anymore it's using more battery. since an extra standard battery off ebay is only $20 it's ok.

has anyone tried this? please report back too.
    Quote Originally Posted by bling300c View Post
    you have a defective phone. Centro's dont hand or freeze. Reset on a rare occasion.
    Actually, it all just depends on what you've got installed. You can have 2 apps that run absolutely perfect with any other app, but paired together they can be a huge disappointing headache. That's one of the very few downfalls of having a completely open-sourced OS. But obviously it's well worth the risk, since it's a pretty rare occurrance for a clean, mindfull user, and puts the device leaps & bounds beyond a closed system.
    Mines never freezes BUT it resets quite a few times.
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJSunDevil View Post
    I haven't seen/heard much about any freezing or hanging on the Centro. 700p yes, but so far, the Centro's been pretty solid.
    Its a problem with the european version.

I read on a German forum that it might be due to phone being a quad-band and when it wakes up from sleep to recieve a call it somehow searches the US 850/1900 band first ie causing a freeze until that search times out and it hops on to the European 900/1800 freqency band.

A solution to this suggest chaning the network select settings to your respective band instead of having it set to Auto. Only problem is that it reverts to the Auto-setting everytime you to swith the cellular mode on/off.

Edited to say that I have now tried the above manual setting and still froze this morning so it seems like its having problem getting out of its deep sleep. Will give the battery program a test. The weird thing is that the Centro indicated full signal strength but actually didnt have a connection at all. When doing Select Network it replied "No network available" until it got signal. So the deep sleep seems to affect the connection.
    Last edited by Andreas; 03/03/2009 at 01:43 PM.
    I have an American version purchased direct from palm.com. I am on T-Mobile and have explicitly chosen 850/1900 instead of auto and I still get freezing.

I'm still trying to figure out if this is a common problem..
    BTW I tried installing the Treo Battery app today and set it to poll every second and I got a freeze when trying to dial out within hours.
    I am also having trouble with the Centro freezing when receiving calls. I have a Euro version (quad band) and normally everything works fine. Every so often a call will freeze the unit for about 60 seconds. It will also freeze (rarely) when powering off the unit.

One poster suggested deactivating the auto hands free function under preferences and I tried this yesterday but haven't had enough calls to see if the problem is resolved.

If anyone knows of a patch for this apparent software glitch, I'm anxious to learn about it!
    Looking at the first post they are talking about installing this battery utility Treo Battery 3.2 and didnt have the probelm untill after that was installed. My guess would be that it is causing the freezing not the Centro. I too own a Centro and freezing is not a issue with them.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rhaw View Post
    Looking at the first post they are talking about installing this battery utility Treo Battery 3.2 and didnt have the probelm untill after that was installed. My guess would be that it is causing the freezing not the Centro. I too own a Centro and freezing is not a issue with them.
    Are you on crack?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Got the phone back from RMA and it's had it's software updated according to the service notes.

It's still on 1.02-ROW software though so perhaps it's the firmware thats been changed? I forgot to make a note of this prior to sending it in so I don't have clue if it's been updated or not.

Currently the firmware is G.R01.13 would be nice to hear what others got?

Im also sorry for the harsh comments i made yesterday and its not like me to behave like that at all. I guess the frustration of not having a working phone and all the problems it caused finally made my kettle boil over. Sorry for that and I realize all of you are just trying to help each other out here.
    My brand new Centro with the freezing problem is on the same firmware version as yours.

What software updates did the services notes mention? Tell us if the issue has been fixed!! I have never seen anyone post that they got this issue resolved.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    The notes just say "software update" so I don't know whats been done and im starting to suspect that nothing at all has been done because the first incoming call froze the phone......

Ive fitted a new SIM card to it know so I guess thats my last hope.

Edited to to say that the brand new SIM card didnt help either, it freeze when I call the Centro from my landline.
    Last edited by Andreas; 03/14/2009 at 05:03 PM.
    Further to my post #14, I have not had any freeze after changing the Prefs, Communication, Hands-Free setting to CANCEL the auto Hands-Free routing. Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks to all for posting.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast