Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hey Guys just to say to everyone that in my case changing to another carrier didnt solve the problem!!!!!One more thing to the list of things i have done.
    New Ideas to solve the problem??????????????
  3. tsy
    Quote Originally Posted by javier_sk1 View Post
    New Ideas to solve the problem??????????????
    I think its the sim card. I recently went to UK and used a pay as you go sim and all kind of crashes and weirdness descended on the centro. Changed back to my normal sim....problem solved.
    I actually think it has more to do with the network the SIM is associated with than the SIM card itself.. only because I had a 3-4 year old T-Mobile SIM card and had it replaced to try and solve this issue and I still have the same problem.

It would be nice if Palm gave us some info on what they know about the issue (which I can guarantee is more than what we can just guess).
  5.    #45  
    < < Edited by Dieter > > nothing seems to solve this freezing issue.

Palm, I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DEVICE FROM YOU, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!
    That is uncalled for.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    That is uncalled for.
    I guess he typed some harsh words towards Palm?

I got a replacement unit back today, after waiting close to 1 month for it. Prior to that it was repaired twice without any luck. So basicly, ive been without my Centro for 3 months and when I get a replacement back it wont work either.

If they guy posting harsh words towards Palm had similar troubles I can surely understand him. Since cursing is bad and shouldnt be put into print I will instead express my feelings towards Palm by making use of the nice smileys...

Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Are all of you users with freezing issues using Unlocked/GSM Centros(I visit 95% mobile, so I can't see that profile info)? I've had 5 Centros on Sprint & never once had freezing issues as described here.
    Last edited by fstopstigmata; 05/25/2009 at 06:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Yes, its a unlocked GSM issue.
    If you check other threads on here and mytreo.net you will notice CDMA users answering saying they dont have any issues at all and some even call us GSM users liars without realizing its GSM issue only. Maybe there should be a CDMA and GSM hardware section for the Centro, bit late for that now though.

When Palm made the Centro it was first done as CDMA and later released with GSM, right?

The first Treo released, the 180 by Handspring from 2002 was built as a GSM device. The following devices probably share much from this device, all the way up to the 650. So perhaps something went wrong when Palm made the Centro for GSM so that its not 100% compatible?

I still got my old Handspring Treo 600 and Palm Treo 650 and both work without a hitch when using the same SIM-card as in the Centro.

If the Centro freeze up totally while answering a call the only way to wake it up without removing the battery is to make a second incoming call, it will then hop out of freeze upon.
    Last edited by Andreas; 05/26/2009 at 02:54 AM.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Andreas.. now that you got your phone back and it is having the same problem try this:

1) Install Reset Doctor and set it to flush out cache at 13meg or so (or do it whenever you get a chance manually)
    2) Try not to ever reset your Centro (don't take the battery out, etc) and just bare through the freezes.

See if the freezes don't slow down or almost stop after a day or so. After giving up on the problem and not doing anything about it I only seem to get it to lockup for a day or so after a reset..
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    That is uncalled for.
    i dont remember what harsh words i used...? i dont remember swearing either. sorry if i offended anyone.

i have a carrier specific centro from Rogers wireless in canada. it's locked. so there are some of you who don't have this freezing issue? wanna sell you phone to me? lol
  12.    #52  
    UPDATE:

i read on another forum that some users with treo 680 have been getting the same freezes on incoming and outgoing calls.

some people installed this app called safeguard and the freezing stopped. i gave it a try and my centro hasn't froze for over a day now (knock on wood). it used to freeze whenever it goes into deep sleep for over 10 mins.

just thought i share with your guys about this. there's also no fast battery drain. for those who don't know, REM sleep also eliminates the freeze problem but the centro battery drains very fast.

does anyone know why safeguard stops the freezing? the app detects app crashes and logs resets and etc. i'm loving my centro again. i love this phone lol.
    Indy, what FStop was calling you on was your hate shot at Palm, when it's not them causing the trouble. It appears to be only on unlocked GSM phones...so therein lies the problem...glad you may have found the solution tho'. We all feel the pain when stuff don't work right.
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    Indy, what FStop was calling you on was your hate shot at Palm, when it's not them causing the trouble. It appears to be only on unlocked GSM phones...so therein lies the problem...glad you may have found the solution tho'. We all feel the pain when stuff don't work right.
    in my previous post i did mention my centro is a locked rogers gsm phone. actually right after i wrote this post i centro froze once again when i was trying to dial a number lol. maybe writing the post jinxed the phone again LOL.
    Sorry to hear that. So the search continues.
  16.    #56  
    Sorry to hear that. So the search continues.
    actually i have yet to get incoming call freezes (touch wood). only twice so far with outgoing freeze where the phone froze for about 30 secs. this is far less frequent than what i was getting before, which froze every time i woke the phone up. so good progress.
  17.    #57  
    the freezing is back. i wanna burn this phone LOL
    Have you tried CentroGoblin's ideas above? There are two...one about replacing the sim card, the other about Reset Doctor and flushing the cache....
  19.    #59  
    Have you tried CentroGoblin's ideas above? There are two...one about replacing the sim card, the other about Reset Doctor and flushing the cache....
    i used to reset dbcache with resco explorer. it seemed to freeze more after i flush the cache. i doubt cache is the problem because i always have over 20mb of cache free.

as for the sim card, well, i have tried a newer simcard and still nothing. grrr......
    Even after I clear the cache using Reset Doctor I will only have around 17 megs free. The ONLY reason I clear the cache at or around 13 megs is because I'm afraid if it gets too low the device might reset. My main goal is to try and not have the device reset because I seem to get 99% of the freezes a day or so after a reset of any kind.

For all I know the device may clear the cache itself and I don't even need Reset Doctor.. too scared to try it though since this seems to work

BTW I am not convinced switching my SIM card did anything but it's worth a shot if you really want to keep the Centro.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast