Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rpahk View Post
    Further to my post #14, I have not had any freeze after changing the Prefs, Communication, Hands-Free setting to CANCEL the auto Hands-Free routing. Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks to all for posting.

Tried it and it worked for half a day or so then it froze just like before.
    i've bought a GSM Centro for my assistant. It has frozen on incaming calls sometimes until she switched the GSM sim with her other phone.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Tried and failed after the following:

No SD-Card
    Headset settings turned off
    Manual selection of network band
    Old style SIM-card
    New style SIM-card
    Sending it back for repairs

Its now in repairs for the second time and I really hope I get a working unit back this time as Ive already spent close to $50 trying to sort this out. (new SIM-card to test if that would solve it and RMA-shipping times two)
    Andreas: did Palm tell you it is a hardware problem?
    My centro began freezing late last year, just before the 90 day warranty expired. I returned it to Palm for repair. When it came back, in less than a week it developed a totally different problem - none of the hard buttons would work (home, calendar, phone, etc) Sent it back again and got a different one this time as part of the advance exchange program. Fired it up on Monday and on Tuesday it started freezing again. I should point out that I have no programs or even addresses installed. I don't think there is a fix; I don't think Palm know whats wrong. I hope I am wrong on this because I would desperately like to use my Centro. But what's the use of a phone that can't accept calls.
    I got a brand new unlocked Centro from Palm and I had the freezing problems almost immediately. They sent me a brand new replacement unit and that one had the same problem as well.

I have tried everything I have seen suggested either online or through palm support (reset doctor to clear cache, keep bluetooth on, use treo battery app to poll every second, explicitly choose cell network, hard reset, get a new SIM card from mobile provider, reprovision SIM card through mobile provider) and nothing seemed to work.

BUT... after sending the replacement Centro back (I liked my original better it has better tactile feedback on the keys) the device hasn't frozen in about a week and a half! I am still keeping my fingers crossed that the problem is fixed for good but I had a day or two without freezing in the past so I'm not 100% convinced.

IF the problem went away.. I think it might have been related to reprovisioning the SIM. Although that didn't seem to work initially (got freezes on both phones with the 'reprovisioned' SIM) maybe it took a day or two to propagate to the towers or maybe the phone got used to the change. I have no idea but the problem appears to have gone way.

Note there was ONE thing the Palm escalated support told me to do that I couldn’t: Get a 3G SIM card from T-Mobile. I was on the phone with T-Mobile escalated support and they told me that there was no such thing as a 3G SIM card (or that all the SIM cards are 3G capable). Palm support told me that the phone wouldn’t behave properly unless I used a 3G SIM card.. I’m unclear from searches online if there really is a such thing as a 3G SIM card or if it really is all network based like T-Mobile told me.

Hope this helps someone.. and I hope my problem really has gone away. I strongly believe these problems are relatively rare (though the people who have the problems seem to always have them—which would indicate something SIM or network related) because if everyone with an unlocked GSM phone had this problem I think Palm would be written about in news articles, etc. and would flat out stop selling the device. Non-techies probably wouldn't live with a problem so annoying they would return the thing right away..
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rpahk View Post
    Andreas: did Palm tell you it is a hardware problem?
    No, they havent told me anything.

RMA note said something about software update but as it didnt work I just typed down a short message that it still was faulty and sent it back again. This time it seems to take longer as it close to two weeks now. Just took a week the first time. Wish someone at Palm would get back to me but they seem hard to get hold of, atleast for us in Europe?

CentroGoblin: I had a very old SIM card in mine so I payed to get a modern 3G SIM card but it still froze.
    Adreas.. I had gotten a new SIM card (not sure if it was 3G as T-Mobile claims all SIM cards are the same for them) the day after I started getting the freeze.. but my problems didn't stop until a day or two AFTER I had T-Mobile's 3rd level data services tech support reprovision my account (which was over a week after I got the new SIM card) so you might want to try that.

Actually I got them to reprovision it twice since the first time it didn't work.. and even the 2nd time didn't work until a few days later like I said-- Might be total coincidence as to why I am currently not experiencing any freezing but worth a shot.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Could you please explain what reprovision is/does? English is not my first language so these technical terms are hard to understand sometimes ie what does the operator do when he reprovision?
    I honestly have no idea what the reprovisioning is .. and I couldn't tell if it was SIM related or more account related. What I could gather is they would do something like rebuild your account from scratch?? All I do know is that in the process they said my phone would get kicked off all their towers and they advised me to take the battery out and turn it back on. I just asked them to 'reprovision my account or SIM card' and they seemed to know what I was talking about.

BTW an incoming call today froze on me so I might still have the issue .. although it might be related to Mundu Radio which I installed last night. It completely froze.. whereas I *think* it used to just not answer the call but I could still do other things on the phone.
    Reprovisioning the account is basically resetting your account on the network. Older accounts that you have had for years don't sit well sometimes with new smartphones.

A customer with a 7 year old plan (before smartphones existed) won't be able to communicate properly with the smartphone devices because times have changed.

Reprovisioning the account is relatively easy, but is not done by any agent you speak to at your carrier. Usually you will have to be escalated to the higher levels of support for this to occur. Also don't walk into a brick and morter store and have them reprovision the account you are better off contacting your carrier over the phone (not the one you are using) and have them do it for you.

If you are off the phone in 5-10 minutes then it wasn't done properly. The reprovisioning process tends to take w while during this time they are completely removing your account off of the network and putting it back on so you will be without your phone for this time.
    The two times T-Mobile supposedly reprovisioned my account.. I was told to turn my phone off and turn it back on. Both times I did this I reconnected to the network after the Centro rebooted (I took the battery out).. so maybe they didn't do the full process.

Also-- I have a new theory on the freezing. I only seem to experience the freezing within the first day or so of resetting my Centro. When I first got the phone I was resetting it all the time due the freezing and general app installations.. and it was freezing the whole time. It was only after I pretty much gave up and stopped doing anything with it that I noticed the freezing stopped. Then after a couple of weeks of a well behaved phone I installed something that caused a reset.. and my phone started freezing again.

Anyone else notice that their phone freezes less the longer you wait (days) after a reset?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Still without my Centro but now that im home again ive charged my Treo 650 and it works without a flaw using the same 3G SIM-card. Will try and give the phone company a call and ask about that account reset.

Ive returned the phone twice with the cause "Freezing" that you can select in the RMA drop down menu. None of these times have the repair center labeled the problem as Freezing, instead when I check the status of the repair the first have time has been labeled faulty microphone and this second time that I was unhappy with first repair.

How are they supposed to fix the phone if they dont even manage to label the it with the correct problem/fault?

Anyway, really happy to have a smartphone again but boy does the 650 feels like a brick.
    I fixed my palm centro freezing issue. It was SIM card related or possibly network related. I am using the phone in Australia. I got the freezing issue when on the virgin/optus network using their sim card. When I swapped back to a Telstra SIM card on the Telstra EDGE network, no more freezing!
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Harris View Post
    I fixed my palm centro freezing issue. It was SIM card related or possibly network related. I am using the phone in Australia. I got the freezing issue when on the virgin/optus network using their sim card. When I swapped back to a Telstra SIM card on the Telstra EDGE network, no more freezing!

Many thanks for your reply Paul, I will look into it,

Got the Centro back again today and it froze on the first call I made to it.

Ive tried a different SIM from the same operator and without any luck. However, these work just fine in my Treo 650. So either the Centro is not up to the standards or sensitive to some operator setting that might be out of standard?
    Last edited by Andreas; 04/08/2009 at 12:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Just got back from the grocery store and while I was there I need to use the calculator, but I couldnt find it.

Turns out its no longer there so now ive got a Centro that not only freeze while calling its also lacking the calculator. Seems like the software upgrade Palm Repairs did is more like a downgrade.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Hooked up the lousy webcamera and managed to get a recording of when the freeze occurs.

Palm :: CentroFreeze.flv video by reckless - Photobucket

No sound but basicly this is what happens:

Phone is ringing.
    Hit green answer button.
    Ring tone stops and phone freeze.

The person at the other end of the line just keeps hearing his call tone, like I never answer but if they keep on ringing the Centro will eventually pick up the call once the freeze is over.

At the end of this video it hops out to the application launcher but its still frozen and wont react to any inputs from buttons. If I make a new call to it, it will wake up from the freeze. Usually its stays withing the phone application but I guess the button flicks I did this time somehow made it hop into the launcher.
    Hi guys i am from PERU and i have the same problem with my centro device, i want to say that i have do a lot of things, that means everything to solve this problem, that includes:

No SD card, turn off hands free, turn on Bluetooth, use reset doctor, use treo battery and poll every second, change my carrier to manual and select the correct one, a lot of hard resets, a lot of softwware resets, a lot of warm resets, new sim card, change my position, adjust the sim card, charge the battery to 100%, change the batery, reset the battery circuit, change the OS languaje, use another charger, use another program to clean the cache, defrag the cache, no aplications at all, back up and rename the folders, hard reset and new HotSync username...etc etc etc!!!!!!!!!!

AND NOTHING WORKS

yesterday i had a chat with PALM support on line and it seems they dont have a solution, they make me do a lot of things including another hard reset and changing the Sync username, today the problem continues...so i speak with them one more time, and they told me to do ONE MORE HARD RESET, and if the problem continues the last step before sending the device to repair to PALM was cheking the ROM....

My conclusion is that in PALM there is no solution to our problem and we need somebody that know about ROMS and solve our problem.
    javier, did you try switching carrier (Claro <--> Movistar)?
    Quote Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
    javier, did you try switching carrier (Claro <--> Movistar)?
    Hi Oronzous, not yet...but today i am buying a new SIM card from claro (i am movistar) to check, i want a NEW Sim card, because in some forums people are saying that it could be the SIM card not obeying some new standards and the centro is very "sensitive".

Thanks for posting
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast