Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In case some aren't checking the Pre forum. Check out this thread WebOS launcher for older Palms

Well worth a look. Video here... PalmOS Software by TealPoint
    Trying it now and I rather like it. I just need the ability to change icons to whatever I want and categorize caed apps and they might have sold a liscense.

Oh theres a bug though with it to where u cant do the hold down home button to bring up recent apps.

that and the icons all seem low res.
    Ok After a day with tealOS I'm back to old and trusty Treolauncher. Theres a couple of issius with TealOSs that I dont like plus a couple of bugs so far.

1.first this is it hyjacks the home button like noones business! With it installed the hold down of the home button brings up your recent apps and quickly disappears not being able to select an app. I also use accesorizer by Pruss and when you exit the accesorized app by pressing the home button after its exited tealos gets launched which I do not want to happen. I disabled it but after a soft reset it reassigned itself to my home button.

2.card apps no being able to be categorized is a big setback for me as most of my apps are on the card.

3. the graphics are very very very very subpar. It looks like if its using a 160x160 resolution like the old 600's

4. No customasation of icons. this is a big let down for me as nothing looks crisp. Everything looks kinda faded and washed away.

5.the animations are pretty good but a little to sloppy for my tastes. The wave animation on the other hand is very crisp.

6. when the app button is pressed or apps swiped up the bottom quicklaunch bar should disappear to show another row of apps

7. does not jive well with skinUI, I know thats kinda nitpicking but this is a problem with all teapoint apps. The menu and certain parts dont get skinned because they use their own way of choosing images but unfortunately its very sloppy and low res looking. The darken when pop up of screen comes up option sometimes leaves the screen darkened.

Id would like to see the option to set the wave bar to either keep the same apps or show that last used apps.

I also had a strange drawing issue where everything got drawn all over itself.

If these things get fixed along with some more features they might be getting some money from me.
  4.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    2.card apps no being able to be categorized is a big setback for me as most of my apps are on the card.

3. the graphics are very very very very subpar. It looks like if its using a 160x160 resolution like the old 600's

Think that you are being bit picky here. The icons look fine to me and the card images are probably not much more than 160x160 so it's not surprising that they are a little degraded.

I think that the animation is very good.

It may not be the best launcher going around (though at the rate of development it may be one day), but it certainly is a fresh look for PalmOS

Submit your thoughts to Tealpoint. They seem to be very responsive to suggestions.
    In case anyone is interested, Version 1.07 BETA is listed on their web site and below is the list of changes/enhancements that may be included: (I have not used it - I'm using v1.06.

"Version 1.07 - February 25, 2009
    Fixed ability to scroll to bottom of screen on non-English devices
    Fixed compatibility with Tapwave Zodiac (no reload)
    Fixed launcher mapping when mapping left mapped by another launcher
    Fixed backwards space/bs swipes on app screen
    Fixed detection of localized dialer app name
    Fixed incorrect labels/font in wave launcher (sci-calc)
    Fixed power-up to force display backlight on when activated
    Fixed support for apps with same display name in wave/quick launch
    Added support for menu to delete all cards
    Added option to soft reset via menu
    Added option to turn off animations
    Added option to turn off quick launch bar
    Added option to turn off rounded corners
    Closed - command bar not coming up when inside program (can't repeat)"

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I dont think I'm being tooo picky. Its just why take a step back as far as image clarity. look at the difference in icons between these 2 screenshots.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...225-215649.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...930-184711.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...107-163742.jpg

Oh and this is something that happened with the 1.06 version.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...225-184727.jpg

Now I'm not really knocking the program just saying what would be nice to be done.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Hey guys,

Been trying out TealOS for the last couple of days. Here are my pro's and con's:

Pros:

Clean looking
    Good animations
    "Modern feeling" UI using gestures
    Great wave and card emulation from WebOS
    Good implementation of app delete/info/beam etc...
    Great "beginner's" launcher
    Fair price

Cons:

No Date display
    Apps in card shown separately
    A little slow
    Can't customize so much
    Not a "power user's" launcher
    I agree with Old Hatch that the icons look very bad. I returned to TouchLauncher after testing TealOS.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    TOS has worked perfect for me, but I have to agree that the very lossy thumbnails and seemingly low res icons and background do take a little away from it. I suppose it's for performance sake, but why not make it configurable?

I found the icon/app organization options for TreoLauncher unmatchable, but realize more all the time that a launcher isn't much more that a pretty face that I don't need to visit often. I'm launching apps from held-key presses and don't miss the middle step of launching a launcher to launch an app. That said, I'm keeping TreoLauncher online.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    I found the icon/app organization options for TreoLauncher unmatchable, but realize more all the time that a launcher isn't much more that a pretty face that I don't need to visit often. I'm launching apps from held-key presses and don't miss the middle step of launching a launcher to launch an app. That said, I'm keeping TreoLauncher online.
    I couldn't agree more. With apps like DBLP, I can launch up to 48 separate apps with a SINGLE keypress/hold.

Of course I have weblinks, contacts & DAs assigned in DBLP, and so do most users--so I'm a bit shy of the theoretical 48-- but, like you, I assume, I have the most commonly launched apps assigned in DBLP and very rarely use my launcher at all.

& when I do need to launch a more rarely-used app, I REALLY don't want to have to wait multiple seconds for the launcher to load and semi-manually search for the app.

With TreoLauncher installed, all I have to do is hit my home key & immediately start typing the title of the desired app. It's not even necessary to wait the split-second of loading time; TreoLauncher will play catch-up. Usually by the time the launcher has popped up on screen I've already typed enough letters of the title to single it out and barely even see the launcher before my app is launching.

Sure TreoLauncher is the simplest of simple launchers, but it's exactly what I need and nothing else-just the right extensions that the default launcher lacks to give it that extra kick. & Sure Initiate takes it one step further by throwing in contacts & mp3s & such, but I prefer to leave those aspects in their respective apps where they feel like they naturally belong & keep my launcher as snappy & unobtrusive as possible.
    [Continued]

I'm totally aware that there's a very large chunk of target audience who don't mind the lag in hand with the impressive graphics & touch-screen UI--just look at the buzz on the PalmOS forums & blogs- it's all TealOS. And very rightly so, this launcher is potentially revolutionary for a dated system with all the flashy competition that's recently sprung up.

But I still much prefer the powerful, snappy speed of a near-basic system, & I know there's a lot of long-time, power-user types that agree.

Maybe the length wasn't so necessary, but I thought it was worth getting out. Much respect & appreciation to Teal for what they're doing, I hope they continue with their speedy updates & great CS, but there's just some people that'll take the speedy trustiness over flashiness any day. Besides, who ever looks at my device other than me, anyway?

Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I concur as well. While I congratulate TealPoint for TealOS I decided not to use it as my standard launcher. It's just not fast enough for me. I even ditched TreoLauncher after more than a year of usage and replaced it with FastLaunch from A. Pruss. Nothing beats that system - if you don't need flashy backgrounds, custom icons and other eye candy.

I know which program I want to start next. So I only press the first letter of this program wherever I happen to be and a popup list appears allowing me to select the respective program with the 5-way. Programs on the SD card are started with shortcuts created with TakePHone. It also doubles as a DA launcher and a contact dialer.

I hardly see my Launcher these days. So what do I need more?
    Last edited by STBXXL; 02/26/2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: typos
    Well I just updated to 1.07 and I can't get the floating wave bar at all. I could barely ever get it before (not that I need it) but now I can't get it. Are there settings I'm missing?
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Well I just updated to 1.07 and I can't get the floating wave bar at all. I could barely ever get it before (not that I need it) but now I can't get it. Are there settings I'm missing?
    Have you checked the Preference setting? Maybe you should do a reset to see if your wave bar will come back.

I've no such issue with 1.07 beta version.
    Quote Originally Posted by chenhanyi View Post
    Have you checked the Preference setting? Maybe you should do a reset to see if your wave bar will come back.

I've no such issue with 1.07 beta version.
    Good suggestion, it seems to have worked.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    the wave bar is back in 1.08 beta posted last night
    Teal OS canceling Lightwav profiles

I use Lightwav to set the various volumes (system game, phone, calendar, etc.), but those all seem to be disabled now that I am using TEAL OS. Any idea how to get around that? No matter what volumes, I set in Lightwav, the volumes are all defaulting to the maximum (i think--it is very loud)
  18.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
    Teal OS canceling Lightwav profiles

I use Lightwav to set the various volumes (system game, phone, calendar, etc.), but those all seem to be disabled now that I am using TEAL OS. Any idea how to get around that? No matter what volumes, I set in Lightwav, the volumes are all defaulting to the maximum (i think--it is very loud)
    Tealpoint are probably monitoring this, but it might be worth communicating directly via their website. Going on past preformance, they would probably address it promptly.
    Just tried TealOS 1.08 Beta and I now have solved the problem on my 755p, which before involved the phone button acting as launcher for TealOS in the earlier versions (as well as the actual Home button). Under Preferences, then Activation, I unclicked button 1 to Start TealOS.

This APP is approaching greatness!!! ... and certainly is helping to train me for the Pre ;-D
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast