Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    I was going to comment weeks ago that this is a huge issue as its a rip off of Palm OS but didnt want to ruin anything BUT made sure to download every version just incase.

TEAL OS has made my centro relevant again. I may wait a few months to get a pre even if I do. My Centro was getting a bit old feeling but now its like a new smartphone. I am not even sure If i will get a pre considering my Centro does everything I need of it. ( actually does things the Pre cant do ( slingplayer, vnc,SD Card, huge app library) For me the big difference is the Bigger screen on the pre ( which I need for my eyes) , better browser and the better camera.

Again want to say to the developers, terriffic program that updated the Centro and made it fun again. Great job. Looking forward to the final version on Monday. and folks if your on the fence about it buy it now as after this weekend you may not be able to get a key to unlock it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    If you haven't bought this yet, and want it, do it soon. If you bought it, and don't have a backup copy saved, get the latest betas now:

Yahoo! Groups
    t\tks for the info jhoff80
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    In principle I understand how Palm can be ticked off. But can a company really copyright something like the LOOK of an operating system? Sure, Apple can copyright the design of an iPod, but look at how many companies are making MP3 players that look nearly identical to it (operative word: nearly). And a piece of hardware design is just that -- a piece of hardware.

The "look" of an operating system is something completely different. From the start, Windows emulated the "look" of a Mac (and an Atari ST for that matter), and Windows seems to still be going strong.

I was always told that ideas can't be copyrighted.
    Time is money, and life is change.
    I have never paid for an app, but this one is something I can justify. I am still going to be one of the first in line for a Pre but this will hold me over until then...
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

No you cant copyright an idea but WebOS is not an idea anymore, it a operating system now. and in respect to Windows vs Apple . Apple did indee sue .

In 1985 Apple & Micorsoft signed a licensing agreement permitting Microsoft royalty-free rights to use graphical display technology of the Macintosh for Windows 1.0
    In 1988 after Microsoft released Windows 2.0 , Apple sued Microsoft for stealing visual display features of the Macintosh computer for use in Microsoft Windows 2.0. Apple claims Windows violates 13 different copyrights.

in 1989 Judge William Schwarzer rules that Microsoft Windows 2.03 is not covered in the Apple Computer / Microsoft 1985 technology licensing agreement. The judge rules that only Windows 1.0 as it appeared in November 1985 was covered, and that Windows 2.03 is fundamentally different. This allows the issue to proceed to trial, in the suit of Apple Computer against Microsoft filed in March 1988

Also in 1989 US Federal District Judge William Schwarzer tentatively rules that most visual features of Windows 2.03 are covered by the 1985 license agreement between Microsoft and Apple computer

1991 In the lawsuit of Apple Computer versus Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard, Federal District Court Judge Vaughn Walker in San Francisco denies Hewlett-Packard's request to declare Apple's copyrights invalid, and also rejects Microsoft's argument that portions of Windows are covered by the 1985 license from Apple. However, the judge agrees to Microsoft's request to consider the copyright issue feature-by-feature, rather than on the basis of overall look and feel.

1993 U.S. District Court Judge Vaughn Walker rules against Apple Computer in its 63-month legal suit against Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard. The judge rules that ninety percent of the elements in Windows are covered by Microsoft's 1985 license from Apple Computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    No you cant copyright an idea but WebOS is not an idea anymore, it a operating system now. and in respect to Windows vs Apple . Apple did indee sue .
    Thanks for that update. I don't know how I missed it, but for some reason I didn't know about this.

But here's a question: TealOS isn't really an operating system. It's a program that creates a "look."

Could the TealPoint people tweak the look enough so that it's not a clone of WebOS and still continue selling it?
    I think if it didnt have the cards and wave laucnher it would be just like every other launcher and be OK ( the cards are really key) BUT without the cards it again would be like every other launcher and who would want it .

I rememebr the Iphony Launcher for palm. It was just like the Iphone and Apple shut them down.
    http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=235591

I used to use TreoLauncher and always was worried about apple pestering them as they used the same icons but that never happened.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 03/27/2009 at 12:51 PM.
    I emailed Teal asking if they could make the recent-apps wave-launcher a stand-alone app, since it was a feature completely unique to Teal's app (not to mention the only part of TealOS I even use ).
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Too bad they won't just make it free for now, since they can't offer it eitehr way, after Monday. Oh well, I guess I'll have to delete it. I was just about to purchase it, after trying it out.

I'm not sure it is worth spending 15.00 on something that I know will not be supported and offered after Monday.

Oh well.

It was a great program.
    Visit My Blog

My website -- EsquireTech Solutions

TEAL OS has made my centro relevant again.
    You have got to be kidding me. A launcher which makes your Centro look like a Pre makes it 'relevent again'? What about the apps being launched?

IMHO the built-in launcher is perfectly adequate. I replaced the PIM software, the clock software and the email client. Other third party apps that make my Centro relevant are Pocket Quicken, Zagat to Go and eWallet.

The email app (Chattermail), PIM software (KeySuite) and Pocket Quicken will probably keep me on PalmOS for sometime. I don't know of any better email client than Chattermail and the only other platform which supports Pocket Quicken is WM.
    Yeah I was trying to kid you, darn you figured it out.

after 2 years the Centro was getting boring and Teal OS added a new dimension to it. Also called personal opinion. The built is launcher to me is boring and old . You like the built in launcher, you have got to be kidding me.

Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    You have got to be kidding me. A launcher which makes your Centro look like a Pre makes it 'relevent again'? What about the apps being launched?

IMHO the built-in launcher is perfectly adequate. I replaced the PIM software, the clock software and the email client. Other third party apps that make my Centro relevant are Pocket Quicken, Zagat to Go and eWallet.

The email app (Chattermail), PIM software (KeySuite) and Pocket Quicken will probably keep me on PalmOS for sometime. I don't know of any better email client than Chattermail and the only other platform which supports Pocket Quicken is WM.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 03/28/2009 at 10:34 AM.
    Yeah I was trying to kid you, darn you figured it out.
    GREAT ANSWER TO A VERY INAPPROPRIATE POST.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    I used to use TreoLauncher and always was worried about apple pestering them as they used the same icons but that never happened.

I'm not sure it was necessarily "Treo Launcher" that used the same icons. I think it was the users (who wanted them to be iPhone-like). Treo Launcher simply allowed people the ability to customize the icons, which in and of itself, was a (simple yet) great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post

If you got in ANY time before the first half or so of this month for Chattermail, then you got "lucky." I didn't.
    Sorry I meant TiuchLauncer not treo launcher and Touch launcher came with the Iphone icons ( They called it Ifone).

Quote Originally Posted by fanofdatreo View Post
    I'm not sure it was necessarily "Treo Launcher" that used the same icons. I think it was the users (who wanted them to be iPhone-like). Treo Launcher simply allowed people the ability to customize the icons, which in and of itself, was a (simple yet) great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    I was wondering how long Palm would let Teal launch a product that basically ripped-off the feel of webOS. Obviously, it takes a little over a month. Real bummer because this is the first app in a long time that I was truly exicted about for my centro.
    Agreed.

What's even more interesting (startling?), however, is HOW LONG it took Palm to do the Cease & Decist (or whatever they asked/did). I hope that's not indicative of how they run/ran the company, nor will in the future. We all know of the mis-steps from the past and how important (game-breaker!) the Pre will be for the future. All the more reason to have done this earlier (w/no disrespect to Teal Point Software).
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Added option to turn off transparency effect for launcher screen

Forgive me as I'm not as proficient w/TealOS as I'd like to be...

so where do you turn the transparency off?
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    I emailed Teal asking if they could make the recent-apps wave-launcher a stand-alone app, ...
    I'm not quite understanding how you configured the Wave Launcher to be a "recent apps wave launcher." How did you do that?
    1.45 is there now . Lots of updates. (BELOW) . Be sure to check it all weekends as they post the updates fixing everything they can. Rememeber Monday its gone !

# Beta 1.45 - March 27, 2009 Added option to start with launcher screen open
    # Added option to disable card unlocking with icon
    # Added option to disable wrapping of cards at ends
    # Added option to hide quick launch bar only when launcher screen open
    # Added option to hide cards (turn off wrap and drag offscreen)
    # Added option to start with cards hidden
    # Added option to discard multiple cards in card wave without raising stylus/finger (throw each up)
    # Added option to show dot next to name of card-based apps in launcher
    # Added support for attention indicator on launcher screen
    # Added support for keeping "center" title bar text on launcher screen
    # Improved icon placement to stay more on wave
    # Fixed compatibility with Fastlaunch and type-to-find
    # Fixed icon placement on lores devices
    # Fixed wave thickness on lores devices
    This is really a nice update, too. I love being able to hide the cards and just see my wallpaper picture.