Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    No More PalmOS Devices from Palm. No Patent Fight with Apple (yet)
    Stories >> Commentary - Feb 11th - 12:53 PM EST | By Dieter Bohn
    In a chat with Investors today, CEO Ed Colligan confirmed that the Centro is the end of the PalmOS line. There will be no more PalmOS devices released. Other details on the webOS and the Pre were also discussed -- including the ongoing patent battle with Apple.
    After dragging Palm OS users along for more than four years, Palm finally adimits that they have thrown Palm OS "under the bus."

All the users, all the developers, all the loyalty, scorned. Nothing here that they could not have said three years ago.

My decision to jump ship has been vindicated along with all that I have said about their candor and honesty. They lie when the truth would do.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    If you jumped ship... why do you care? Sounds bitter to me.
    Centros are still being sold if you are that eager to get back to Palm OS.

Nobody should be surprised that Palm don't want to produce phones with an obsolete OS.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by AirData View Post
    If you jumped ship... why do you care? Sounds bitter to me.
    "Bitter!" Now there is a word to savor, to get one's mouth around. to set one's bite on. Yes! I can identify with "bitter." That is how scorned users feel. That is how those who are lied to feel. Yes, bitter. Feels right.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
    Bitter only hurts you. Forget about it. It's just business. Some company will develop an emulator that works on the Pre and we'll use the old familiar apps until they get replaced with new ones that will probably do more and work better.

There are a lot of Palm OS devices being used everday. And not everyone is going to abandon their PDA or buy a Pre in the next 6 months, year, 2 years -- you choose a time period. So I don't think Palm OS is going away fast. Of course, the Pre may be so good, such a good deal pricewise, and available with the SERO plan that the old Palm OS devices disappear quickly and I may be proven wrong.
    This should have been done 2 years ago.
    What do I need from Palm? They continue to honor the warranty on my phones. That's about all I can ask. My Centro works great! I don't need any firmware updates. I don't even need any new software. I can still choose from thousands of titles, most of them free of cost!

I don't understand the problem. Did you think PalmOS would last forever? I have purchased 5 Palm devices, and my family still uses 4 of them. I never thought that they would be coming out with many more PalmOs devices. I figured something new would come out and replace it, which is exactly what is happening. In fact, it always happens. Did I get upset when Windows 98 replaced Windows 95? No! Why? Because it was better.

Haven't Palm been saying for some time now that they would come out with a new operating system? Why would they support two different operating systems? That would be insane, if they have something better.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    whmurray,

This is exactly why I left the Treonauts Forum. Not entirely because of people like you but, the people that moaned when Palm bought out a new phone or introduced a better operating system. I've been with Palm since the beginning and whilst some parts have changed in the O/S, it is getting boring. They haven't abandoned the Palm users, they are simply making everything better not only for us but also for them. They reckon that devices will be cheaper and have more things on them.

I agree with AirData. If you have moved to another operating system then it is nothing for you to worry about. I also agree that you are being bitter as one man cannot change the entire company's plan to fit in with his own life. You are not a 'scorned' user as you were the one that abandoned Palm. If anything its them that are 'scorned' as they lost you as a customer.

waltherg22
    3Com Palm Pilot > USRobotics Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm Zire 21 > Handspring Treo 270 > palmOne Treo 650.

Current Device:
    Palm Treo 680 [Unlocked/Unbranded]
    BlackBerry 8820 [Unlocked]

Current Plan:
    O2-UK Simplicity 15 a Month.
    400 texts and 200 minutes.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Did I get upset when Windows 98 replaced Windows 95? No! Why? Because it was better.
    I'm with you all on this but useing a Windows example isn't good. Just look at XP to Vista. For many, it was not a good thing. I mean, only after a short few years MS has said enough with Vista and is coming out with Windows 7?

Let's hope Palm did their homework and this isn't their "Vista".

Take care ..................Greg
    I don't think I used Vista as an example. Windows 98 was indeed better than Windows 95, thank you.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    What? Wake up! You used WINDOWS as an example of how change is better. I didn't say you used VISTA as an example - but I did. Vista was "change" from XP and to most users in the world, they think it sucks!! Yes, 95 to 98 was good. 98 to XP was even better. XP to Vista many think was bad. Therefore, that change from one OS to the next, newer, flashier one was NOT better. Let's hope PALM was smarter than microsoft.

Oh, and YOU'RE WELCOME!

Adding to this, with all of the applications out there to make the old Palm OS look nicer, newer, more colorful, flashier, more fun to operate, etc... why wouldn't PALM listen to that and make it as their new OS platform?
    Last edited by glt9007; 02/17/2009 at 07:52 AM.

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I remember these posts when Mac 'abandoned' their classic OS for OS X. And again when they 'abandoned' Motorola for Intel.
    glt9007, maybe you should see someone about your anger issues. I did not use Windows as a general example. I used the upgrade from Win 95 to Win 98, and it was a valid example. You can bash Vista all you want, but it has nothing to do with my example.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    In fact, it always happens. Did I get upset when Windows 98 replaced Windows 95? No! Why? Because it was better.
    Sorry you can't seem to see the correlation between the two. That being your 95 to 98 OS example and my referencing that Windows went from XP (a sold performing OS) to Vista (a problematic OS platform). You state in your statement above that you didn't get "mad" because it (98) was better. I actually use VISTA and have no problems what-so-ever with it. But, in the computer world, VISTA is a bad word. I'm simply saying that let's hope the new Palm OS isn't a "VISTA". Notice the quotes???

Anger issues? Pleeease..... I'm totally in control of that. I haven't beaten anybody TODAY!!! But, the day is still young...............

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Timeout children... both of you motorheads go to your corners... :-)
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Never even dawned on me about the bikes. Good one!!!

The tempers from the Pre forum are bleeding over into the other forums now!!
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    The tempers from the Pre forum are bleeding over into the other forums now!!
    Nah, he's just mad cause I ride a better bike...

Actually, I sold it a while back. Just to lazy to change my avatar.

NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    A man who rides, his bike says a lot about him (or her).....

I've got 4 best of show trophies for mine that I built myself from the ground up. Started as a 1999 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Classic and got stripped down to the frame. Weisco 1500cc big bore piston kit, (4) 42mm carbs - that would make it a 4 cylinder, K&N filters, V-Max rear gears (shaft driven), 4 Bub chrome/billet pipes, stainless cables, custom lights front and rear, Pro-One forward controls, modified custom Harley fenders and other sheet metal items, custom flame stitched seat with carbon fiber iron cross underlay, side mount license plate/light, stretched tank custom pure black paint or Porsche black, custom lowering kit for the rear and custom billet wheels. Took me about a year as I owned my own custom shop at that time but it was fun. She'll come off the ground in 1-4 and pull you off the bars in 6th at 80mph. Also nice that she sounds like a small block V-8 dragster engine coming down the road at full throttle.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/223/4...021ec42e11.jpghttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/186/4...31a528a18b.jpg

What's that you use to ride?
    Last edited by glt9007; 02/18/2009 at 07:49 AM.

Haha, wow, this is the strangest thread I've ever read.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast