Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A 1997 Honda Pacific Coast. Fantastic bike to ride to work. Great weather protection and it even has a trunk! Easy to clean, too. I could give it a good cleaning in about 10 minutes.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I thought that was it but couldn't remember the name of that model.

Yeah, cleaning takes me about 2 hours if I'm in a hurry!! LOTS of chrome and billet to shine but it's worth it!!

Back on topic. I love my 755p but a new OS will probably be cool!! Nothing lasts forever.

Take care ..................Greg
    For me it will come down to cost. I will wait and see if people like the new OS. If it is good, the price is reasonable, and I can stay on my SERO plan, I will probably switch to the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Centros are still being sold if you are that eager to get back to Palm OS.

Nobody should be surprised that Palm don't want to produce phones with an obsolete OS.
    Ummm, there are tens of thousands of applications that still work fine on PalmOS. What's been written for the WebOS...? If the WebOS were announced by Panasonic, HTC or some company other than "Palm," I can guarantee that it would be about as popular on the Palm fansites as the iPhone, as it runs exactly as many PalmOS apps. The Pre has NO compatibility with anything that was ever written for Palm, even Windoze Mobile has a PalmOS emulator available! PalmOS is only "obsolete" from the mouths of Palm's mighty marketeers who want you to buy completely incompatible hardware and fill their coffers!

"Obsolete" is in the eye of the beholder. My Treo can run circles around any iPhone, only exception being the "eye candy" comparison. And, my wrists don't cramp up like they do from the iPhone's slim formfactor. From what I see of the Pre, it's all about the same.

The existence of a slightly faster car with a prettier body does not make a reliable 2007 model immediately "obsolete." Welding the trunk shut, dropping the fuel range, and tinting the windows so you can't tether also doesn't impress me as a "step forward."
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Huh?

Did something get left out here? Has it been announced that there will be no emulator and no 3rd party will have the tools to write one?

Palm hobbled on far too long with an obsolete, buggy OS. Just when analysts forecast their stock price "going to zero" they announce a viable product with a modern OS. If they can thoroughly expunge their old ways they may stay in business. I hope so; great as the iPhone is it's not going to be my productivity device any time soon, and WinMob seems more portable PC than low-maintenance smart-toy.

I bought a Centro understanding that the OS was already obsolete and Palm's support was thin ice. They did hardware repairs/replacements for my TX without fuss so it's not all bad news.

There will still be maintenance on apps for POS for a while; people will be buying apps for their Treo or Centro for at least another year. I still use my TX for its larger screen and bc I have enough gadgets and data costs as is.

The comparison with Windows does not make sense. With Windows, you can do OS upgrade and keep your existing apps. Stuff written for Windows 95 will still run under XP. Even some DOS apps will run on a current Windows box. This is the basic Windows tradeoff - you can install some version of it on a PC you get at a yard sale and load apps from the remainder bin, backwards compatibility makes it all work. The same backwards compatibilty preserves Window's bounty of annoyances and aggravations.

I'm quite happy there's not a line of POS code in any future Palm device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    Ummm, there are tens of thousands of applications that still work fine on PalmOS. What's been written for the WebOS...? If the WebOS were announced by Panasonic, HTC or some company other than "Palm," I can guarantee that it would be about as popular on the Palm fansites as the iPhone, as it runs exactly as many PalmOS apps. The Pre has NO compatibility with anything that was ever written for Palm, even Windoze Mobile has a PalmOS emulator available! PalmOS is only "obsolete" from the mouths of Palm's mighty marketeers who want you to buy completely incompatible hardware and fill their coffers!

"Obsolete" is in the eye of the beholder. My Treo can run circles around any iPhone, only exception being the "eye candy" comparison. And, my wrists don't cramp up like they do from the iPhone's slim formfactor. From what I see of the Pre, it's all about the same.

The existence of a slightly faster car with a prettier body does not make a reliable 2007 model immediately "obsolete." Welding the trunk shut, dropping the fuel range, and tinting the windows so you can't tether also doesn't impress me as a "step forward."
    That's a big rant over my choice of one word. I probably should have said out-of-date or ancient, because quite obviously it is not obsolete (no longer in use).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12