1.    #1  
    What is the best way to brick a 700p?
    "I want my 2 dollars!"
    - Better Off Dead -
    why? i love mine!
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
    Quote Originally Posted by quispus View Post
    What is the best way to brick a 700p?
    If you want to permanently disable the device, a brick or cinder block would do. . . . .

What is your purpose or desired goal?
    Do you just want to ensure that no personal data remains on the the device?
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/12/2009 at 12:44 PM.
  4.    #4  
    I have an intermitten problem with my Treo and would like a replacement. I do have the insurance but to go through them would take a couple of days. If I go to the Sprint Store service center they will replace it there in the store but only if there is no obvious damage.
    What model?

Do a hot sync to back up.

Do a hard reset.

Run two to three days this way without adding anything back.

If the problem occurs -- it is hardware and Sprint should replace it.

Otherwise it is a software conflict or corruption in a data file.

A clean install will fix that:

You may have a software glitch or a hardware glitch if your Treo is behaving that way. To determine which:

To find out:

Hot sync (if you can) to back up.
    Hard reset.
    Run this way for a day, without Hotsyncing. Does the Treo still reset, crash or drain the battery?

IF Yes = hardware problem and the unit should be replaced.

If no, let's see how far we get with a clean install:

Ignore this step: (1. Install the Treo 650 Desktop from it's CD -- it put's 650 conduits into place.

2. Hard Reset your 650, creating a "just out of the box" 650 (unless it is just out of box)

3. Rename your backup folder on your PC to backupold (Programs>Palm>userid>backup to backupold) ...Hopefully that's the path that Handspring used, but you get the idea. (The backup folder houses the 3rd party software you have installed in case a back up from a hard reset is necessary -- renaming the folder takes it out of the loop.)

4. Before you proceed, right click the Hotsync Manager icon in the program tray, choose Custom and check the action of your PIM conduits (Calendar, Tasks, Memos, Contacts); if any are set to "Handheld overwrites desktop", change them to either Synchronize or DT overwrites HH - otherwise, you will delete all the PIM data on the desktop.

5. Hot Sync the 650 to your userid.

You should have a clean Treo 650 with only your PIM data brought back. PIM data is Contacts, Tasks, Calendar and Memos, the basic Palm applications. Run this way for a day.

Did this cure the problem? If so, continue on. If the problem starts after a particular 3rd party software has been installed -- you will have found the culprit. If you get everything installed and the glitch is gone -- Great!

Install your desired 3rd party software fresh onto the 650 one at a time -- NOT from a backup! (Also, get the newest version, while you are at it.) When you Hot Sync again, a new backup folder is created, with the freshly installed 3rd party software backed up the way the 650 likes it.)

You should be good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtwo View Post
    A clean install will fix that.
    Clean Install, Clean Install, Clean Install.

Some things never change. Right gtwo?

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Clean Install, Clean Install, Clean Install.

Some things never change. Right gtwo?

Good Luck
    Yup . . . . but someone else will have to figure out the Pre . . . . . . hopefully it will not require such attention. However, just like with Microsoft, when you have 1000's of developers creating applications . . . stuff can happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by quispus View Post
    I have an intermitten problem with my Treo and would like a replacement. I do have the insurance but to go through them would take a couple of days. If I go to the Sprint Store service center they will replace it there in the store but only if there is no obvious damage.
    What are they replacing 700p's with these days?
    found this thread on how to incrementally restore with a crashed 700p. Thanks. Will try.