Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't know if I can bring myself to pay $30 for Wordsmith (actually, I will end up sooner or later), but is there anyway I can get it cheaper, legally? I heard some company will be making it retail, will it be cheaper then? Should I wait?
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Originally posted by ernieba1
    I don't know if I can bring myself to pay $30 for Wordsmith (actually, I will end up sooner or later), but is there anyway I can get it cheaper, legally? I heard some company will be making it retail, will it be cheaper then? Should I wait?
    Bernie
    WordSmith is a KILLER app! I doubt you'll find it for less than $29.95, but there is a company (I forget now which) which bundles Wordsmith with a word completion program, and calls the package
    Wordsmith Pro! It's also $29.95, so see if you can't find out which company WordSmith was licensed to. Sorry I don't have the company name or URL... but I know the package is out there.

Actually, the authors of WordSmith state the price as $39.95, but say they are selling it for a limited time at the $29.95 price.

In any case, it's really a GREAT piece of software, which I feel is worth the price.

Very professional, from the installation, to the manual, to every last detail. And so far, totally bug free!
    Get it Get it Get it Get it Get it Get it Get it.
    This si such a great app that you should do whatever you need to to get it. Price should not matter (but I know it does for many) because it is so great.

I think this is possibly the best app I've found yet and would willingly have paid $40 for it if it hadn't been on sale for $30.
    Jonathan
    I signed up for the PalmPower Tips weekly newsletter a couple of weeks ago. They have organized a promotion for subscribers to receive 50% off of some nice Palm related deals. This came out in an email on 8/6/2001.

One of the deals is Wordsmith for $19.95 if bought before 8/31/2001. That is 1/2 off the full price and 1/3 off the cheapest you can get it anywhere else.

If you sign up for the Palm Power Tips news letter now, I am not sure if you will receive the same email with the coupon code that I did, but it would be worth a try.

Other deals in the letter are:
    - TapPad
    - ToDo PLUS
    - MOBILEPAK SUPER BUNDLE
    - PhoneMate
    - Wordsmith
    - FictionWise.com
    - S+ Stylus from StylusPlus.com
    - Weissmann City Profiles
    BTW, I am not affiliated with any of the above companies, Blue Nomad or Palm Power, and Wordsmith is worth every penny at $39.95, I bought it at $29.95.
    Handmark is selling WordSmith Pro for $29.99. It includes WordComplete as well.
    Get it here
    "Life is what you experience between racing games"
    Galley
    Does anyone know if Blue Nomad's free upgrades will work with WordSmith Pro from Handmark? I was considering WordSmith Pro, however if Handmark's support is not as good as Blue Nomad's then I am willing to give up the free bundled program (Word Complete).
    Originally posted by carguy
    Does anyone know if Blue Nomad's free upgrades will work with WordSmith Pro from Handmark
    Absolutely... it's the same exact program. Handmark is just distributing it along with Word Complete.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  9.    #9  
    What is WordComplete?
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    WordComplete is similar to AutoComplete in Microsoft Office. As you type or Graffiti, a list of possible word choices is displayed making entry faster.

For example, entering th might show a list like:

that
    the
    them
    this

etc, etc, etc...
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  11.    #11  
    I have a Stowaway keyboard. I don't think I would really need this except for when I'm quickly jotting down something.

Does anybody have experience with WordComplete? Is it easy? Convenient?

I'm kind of leaning towards getting it from Blue Nomad, because I think things will be easier in terms of support. What do other people think?
    -Bernie

-Dan Quayle
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by MarkEagle

Absolutely... it's the same exact program. Handmark is just distributing it along with Word Complete.
    I don't know. Look at this from the Blue Nomad FAQ:

What is the difference between Handmark's WordSmithPro and our WordSmith?
    The WordSmith product is essentially the same but with slightly different branding. We recently granted Handmark, Inc. the right to distribute WordSmith in retail and on certain websites. If you purchase WordSmith from Handmark, you will receive technical support, upgrades, etc. from Handmark per their policies. If you have purchased from Handmark and need assistance, please visit Handmark's website or email Handmark Support.
    Does that mean if there is a Wordsmith update from Blue Nomad it might not be available from Handmark???
    -Bernie

-Dan Quayle
  13.    #13  
    Just went to mysimon and Wordsmith Pro is a whopping 27 bucks at amazon.com. Wowee. Except for this little note on Amazon's site:

This item is not yet available. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.
    -Bernie

-Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by ernieba1
    What is WordComplete?
    I bought todoplus and memoplus with the Dilbert package. Appeared to be the same in all respects as the original Landware products. Landware did not support upgrades. Be careful!!!!
    I just bought WordSmith Pro from Handmark after not checking this thread for a while. One thing you might want to consider was explained in an email Handmark sent me in response to some questions I had. Handmark must release all updates, and they usually come a few days after Blue Nomad releases one. Other things I discovered during the process of installing WordSmith Pro are that if you were using Blue Nomad's trial software of WordSmith, you must download Handmark's WordSmith Pro. Blue Nomad's WordSmith will not accept the registration number Handmark sends you. Also, if you try to delete Blue Nomad's WordSmith from an application like Filez, you will still get error messages in your Hotsync log saying that WordSmith document syncing abilities have expired, and you will not be able to sync documents. To delete WordSmith, delete it from the regular delete screen that you get to from the launcher. You will lose any documents that weren't backed up onto your computer. Another minor compalint is that the icon's for WordSmith Pro look like they were made by a three year old in two minutes. By the way, I like WordComplete and find it useful. It's a better program than I expected. If you don't think you are going to use WordComplete, then you probably should buy WordSmith from Blue Nomad. If you have any questions about Handmark's WordSmith Pro, post them, and I'll try to answer them.

Ernieba1, if you use a Stowaway then you should probably stick with Blue Nomad. By the time you pick up your stylus and tap the correct word from the box WordComplete pops-up, you could have just finished typing the word yourself.
  16.    #16  
    Oh, I would use WordComplete only when taking quick notes while not using the Stowaway. Or is that possible? I guess now, it looks like I will be getting it from Handmark. It just depends whether its level of service is the same. And when you say they Handmark must release all new updates, do you mean they are obligated to in an agreement, or they must or you'll go burzurk? How long are they obligated to? And how did you buy it?
    -Bernie

-Dan Quayle
  17.    #17  
    Here's the response to the e-mail I sent to Handmark:

We support any Wordsmith sales through our web site or at retail. There is
    no specific support link for Wordsmith at this time as the Wordsmith support
    section has not been completed yet.

While every attempt will be made to provide current and identical versions
    of WordSmith there will most likely be a lag between the release of new
    versions from Blue Nomad and the same version from Handmark. Any purchases
    made from Handmark will have to be upgraded with a Handmark upgrade.

Eric Haar
    Customer Support Representative
    Handmark, Inc.
    www.handmark.com
    -Bernie

-Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by ByinHi

I bought todoplus and memoplus with the Dilbert package. Appeared to be the same in all respects as the original Landware products. Landware did not support upgrades. Be careful!!!!
    Neither of these applications are LandWare products. QuickPad and QuickText were the LandWare products included with this package.
    Both products have since been terminated, however we still provide support for existing owners.
    So Sorry its "Hands High" that I meant. I tried to upgrade and could not.

I use and love Pocket Quicken and have no issue with Landware.

In fact I have no problem with Hands High, just make sure one is aware of upgrade policies when a product is sold by a reseller. I was not in that case. I hold myself responsible for not checking. I went ahead and paid for a later version of todoplus.
    I don't own a Stowaway, but use WordComplete. Sorry for the confusion about upgrades, I meant that you cannot use Blue Nomad updates, but instead must wait for Handmark to release their version. I purchased it from Handmark's website.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast