1.    #1  
    Hey everyone! I'm planning on selling my 700p on eBay, but I want to erase all my data and information on it. I've already performed a hard reset, but my sprint information is still on it.

When I hold down one, it still dials my number to go to voicemail. Is there a way to completely erase all of that so they don't even have my telephone and sprint information? I honestly haven't had much luck looking for it online...

Thanks!
    Hard reset. While holding the red button, press the reset button beside the battery with a paperclip. Keep holding red button down until for maybe about 10 secs. If you hold it down long enough, when you release it, it will ask if you want to erase all data.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Hard reset.
    I thought I read somewhere that on some Palm models, this didn't really erase everything and that some techie could retrieve info even if it wasn't visible.

So do the hard reset on the 700p really get rid of everything?

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    The hard reset gets rid of enough. What do you think the chances are of your old Treo being purchased by a hacker who wants your phone numbers and addresses?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    The hard reset gets rid of enough. What do you think the chances are of your old Treo being purchased by a hacker who wants your phone numbers and addresses?
    Alli,

So that's mean a Hacker could get info from a Treo 700 even after a hard reset?

Yes I am paranoid about info on my devices. I'm just trying to be careful.

Tks in advance.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    If someone really wants to, they can access data even after a hard reset - but it would require the expertise, the time, the forethought, and the expense.

I suspect that given enough of the above, data could still be recovered even after a zero out reset (where 0's and 1's are overwritten several times).

I don't have sensitive information. Anything I keep on my device I protect inside an encrypted program (Splash ID, eWallet, etc.). But even then, someone who really wants something will get it.
    Tks for the additional info Alli.

Good Luck
    Hey Turbo,

Just like a PC . . . delete only removes the reference to the data's location on the hard drive . . .it is still there to be read by the CIA types. A wipe or overwrite with zeros and ones does overwrite the data. However the CIA types say you must do this with up to 7 passes to really do a thorough job. Norton/Symantec has such a program for the PC.

There are similar wipe programs for Palm devices.

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtwo View Post
    Hey Turbo,

Just like a PC . . . delete only removes the reference to the data's location on the hard drive . . .it is still there to be read by the CIA types. A wipe or overwrite with zeros and ones does overwrite the data. However the CIA types say you must do this with up to 7 passes to really do a thorough job. Norton/Symantec has such a program for the PC.

There are similar wipe programs for Palm devices.

Cheers.
    Hey Bro,

This is why I have all of my previous devices. I will smash them with a hammer before I sell them to anyone.

I got them all out the other night and fired them up (Treo 600,700p.) I even fired up my wife's old Tungsten??? and played with the wifi in our house.

My 300 is in a box at my son's house. (He's in the middle of a move to a new house.) I told him I wanted it back and not to sell it on ebay. I think I had one of the few 300 whose cover didn't break.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for replying guys, but I already performed a hard reset, the question was a bit different than what you guys read...

"...I've already performed a hard reset, but my sprint information is still on it.

When I hold down one, it still dials my number to go to voicemail. Is there a way to completely erase all of that so they don't even have my telephone and sprint information? I honestly haven't had much luck looking for it online..."
    You can edit the voicemail speed dial by pressing Menu-Edit Favorite Button, then add a fake number.
    To remove your number, you will need to manual programming steps for Sprint, then you can remove your number completely. With Verizon you enter #*#000000# in the Phone and select Edit, then enter your phone number (or in your case, remove your number). Try it, you may need to call Sprint to get the exact steps.