Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Centro is a great smartphone. Never owned a sp before but I see why folks own one. I have the Sprint green one. Love the calendar, the organization, the keyboard (before I bought it folks were saying it was too small but it's fine for me), the threaded text, everything. The only downside for me is the battery but I plan on getting a car charger. I wanted something touchscreen but with a keyboard still and I am glad I chose this phone.

O/T but EVERYBODY has this phone LOL
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    but EVERYBODY has this phone LOL
    Possibly.. but also keep in mind that PalmOS is completely open-sourced, so every single Centro in the world is unique inside. The customizations and combinations available to mold the phone to the user's needs are endless, so your device only LOOKS the same as everyone elses.

The same idea can be said about the PC; each completely custom, unique & personal under the hood- & everyone's got one of those. But then again, I'm a Mac user,..
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    The Centro is a great smartphone. Never owned a sp before but I see why folks own one. I have the Sprint green one. Love the calendar, the organization, the keyboard (before I bought it folks were saying it was too small but it's fine for me), the threaded text, everything. The only downside for me is the battery but I plan on getting a car charger. I wanted something touchscreen but with a keyboard still and I am glad I chose this phone.

O/T but EVERYBODY has this phone LOL
    Congratulations on getting a Centro.

I've had several smartphones and this one is the best and the most stable. I agree with you on the battery issue. That is why i always have mine plugged in when in the car.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Newbie here as well, this is also my first sp. What's this battery issue you guys mentioned? Mine seems pretty good so far (fingers crossed).
    The main issue with the battery is if you have push email or pull a lot of data in through your data connection (like streaming) or watching videos. Otherwise, it should easily last the whole day.
    The extended battery and an application such as ChatterEmail makes push email a bit less painful. I also believe the Centro to be the best Palm OS device made.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The extended battery and an application such as ChatterEmail makes push email a bit less painful. I also believe the Centro to be the best Palm OS device made.
    I don't know if ChaggerEmail really helps battery life, but I would agree that the Centro is the best Palm smartphone ever. I wouldn't trade it for any other phone right now and I have used WM and Blackberries. If you are into efficiency, and getting the most out of your device, the Centro is still the way to go.
    Why do I read these threads??

My 755p took a dump. My dilemma, get a Centro or wait for the Pre.

I decided on waiting then I read threads like this, how great the Centro is. Grrrrrr!!!

ET
    Last edited by etphoto; 02/06/2009 at 04:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    My dilemma, get a Centro or wait for the Pre.
    Do what most of us are -- BOTH -- Centro NOW and WAIT until Pre is available in our desired flavor!
    I have to say that I love my new Centro as well. I jumped ship from a 700w last year and got a HTC phone. I came back because I missed the keyboard. One of my friends had a Centro and let me check it out. After I looked it over, I had one of those I HAVE TO GET THIS moments. You all know how that feels. This is a great phone and I really missed all the little things that make it a great device. My Centro is safe until the Pre comes to Verizon!
    I really miss the key board of the Centro; however, wanting multi-tasking means at this time WM and the 800W had a few issues, so I am now using a Touch Pro. Very stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I am now using a Touch Pro.
    bclinger,

Is the Touch Pro as good as the Touch Pre?

Just Kidding. I've heard good things about the Touch Pro as well.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Agreed. Centro is an awesome phone. I use it as a podcast player for my car, gym, and work (Kinoma 4 Free is an awesome app for that). Do the push mail through the stock Sprint Mobile Mail app. The device is very stable, the speakerphone is loud, and its a delight to use with the proper apps installed (like TakePhone and TreoLnchr).

I will be getting the Pre however when i'm due for a contract renewal this October.
    Hm. I s'pose I'm creating a perfect specimen of an irrelevant post, but yes, my Centro is a fine little phone.

It's been trouble free, has relatively good call quality for the listener and is pocketable. It has no added software yet, so mine is an easy case. Still it was a great deal and has a welcome home. Interestingly, it had a battery issue when I first got it which was fixed with absolutely no action on my part -- some sort of silent update. Batt life is fine now, and better than expected for a small, pocktable smartphone. Plus the batt is so small you really could carry a spare.

Had Palm made stuff that "just worked" 2 years earlier.... they'd have more than their nostrils above water now.

This one (#2, Sprint service replacement) seems to have reduced ear volume, but that can probably be fixed w/o another return, but I'd have to buy software for that. This one shows "68" MB total memory if that makes a difference.

So if you're thinking of buying one, no worries. The "obsolete" platform will serve fine for basic and many advanced tasks. It's not your power user device; use it as an alternate to the laptpop-in-your-palm devices or when you don't want to carry an iphone/pre/8830 with a $500 out of contract replacement cost.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrackBerry View Post
    It has no added software yet.
    When you get a micro SD card, the first app (free) should be NVBackup. Auto backups set to occur in the wee hours saved me when I had my first Centro replaced. Just moved over the micro SD card and restored.
    I am also a Touch Pro user. I go back and forth between the Touch Pro and Centro. Then I have a Treo 700wx as back up. I just cannot use one device. I get bored very easily.

The Centro is actually a very good device. It is not flashy and people don't ooh and ahh over it but the simplicity along with stability makes it cool in its own way. I am breaking the norm and using it another week instead of activating the Touch Pro.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Okay, after calming myself down (read my earlier post), I again decided on waiting for the Pre to come to Verizon instead of turning my 755P in for a replacement Centro. My 755p got wet and now the home button doesn't work and its a task to get the phone to turn on. Once I do get it on it works fine (except for the home button).

ET
    Get Power Hero to help with battery life.
    Ditto on power hero. Also, try cleanstart it allows you to only the load the apps you use. This allows for faster reboot and quicker response as well as increasing battery life. Since I started using it I haven't had many if any crashes and my battery life has tripled.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    Possibly.. but also keep in mind that PalmOS is completely open-sourced, so every single Centro in the world is unique inside. The customizations and combinations available to mold the phone to the user's needs are endless, so your device only LOOKS the same as everyone elses.

The same idea can be said about the PC; each completely custom, unique & personal under the hood- & everyone's got one of those. But then again, I'm a Mac user,..
    LOL true. I'm just glad to see the Centro in a lot of people's hands after reading about Palm and how they weren't doing too good (before the Pre news)
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast