Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I'm trying to keep my Centro relatively clean. That said, I installed Power Hero and love it. So I'm getting ready to register it and there's a discount if you register Butler at the same time. I downloaded Butler and played around with it a bit but I'm either stupid or don't understand/need its functionality.

Can someone give me a quick Pro/Con for Butler? I'd appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpuglisi View Post
    Can someone give me a quick Pro/Con for Butler? I'd appreciate it.
    I think you'll just have to play a bit more, as the usefulness of Butler will very much depend on your setup / personal taste.

Just two examples:

-I use a third party launcher (LauncherX), and Butler gives me a simple way to re-map the Home button so that it runs "my" launcher.
    You may well be quite satisfied with the way Palm uses the Home button, so...

-I much prefer Butler's KeyGuard over anything else I have seen (screen set to black, with the big digital clock in bright yellow). Maybe you are perfectly satisfied with the built-in keyguard...

Regards,

Jochen
    The speedy keys alone are enough reason to use Butler. Go for a couple days texting & surfing the web with it set to the 'suggested settings' then try switching back. The stock cursor movement and scroll speed on the Centro are so slow that I feel it actually takes a hit in overall performance.

The attention manager settings aren't worth messing with, as they're less reliable and buggier than the free AttnGrab (at least, on the Centro they are).

Button mapping, as Jochen mentioned, is a big bonus to really take full advantage of the hard keys as program launchers.

And I really love the volume key controls for scrolling & selecting-much more ergonomic for web browsing with a stylus.

I'm sure there's other settings I take advantage of, too, just running out of time =]
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Well if you need a LED for missed alerts then get Attn Grabber for free.

I personally like for led alert, the remote kill option and the six alarms. I have a hard time getting out of bed in the mornings!!!
    Avatar- Engraved at the Sprint Studio, KCMO
    I use it for the remote kill. I lost a phone and it had info on it I wished it didn't. Some helpful people on this forum taught me the usefulness of remote kill and regular backups.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the great advice. I used to use ZLauncher with my T2 but found I really didn't need it with my 700P.

Keylauncher looks promising. The default home key launcher is a great feature but launching a url from anywhere is handy. I use STOIC to stay on in cradle and the default keyguard is fine. Remote Kill seems like a good idea, too. If I like the Keylauncher, I'll register it and use the other features.
    Keylauncher is obsolete on the Centro... it comes with that feature already built-in!

(Oh yeah! Almost forgot about the alarm features Those are very handy, too.)
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    Keylauncher is obsolete on the Centro... it comes with that feature already built-in!
    I'll be darned. So now I'm down to the keyguard and remote kill. Have to give it more thought now.
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    Unless you use Keycaps, then the Centro's keylauncher does not work.

Unless I am missing something...
    Last edited by phessler; 02/07/2009 at 06:25 AM.
    Right, then you have to activate KeyLauncher within Butler, I just figured that out last night
    Butlers security feature is great. I have tested it on my centro after a restore and it works. You send your phone a sms with a keyword and it erases your card and the internal memory. A little over a year ago my wifes phone got stolen on vacation from our rental car. I had butler installed and sent the sms to the phone. Don't know for sure if it worked but no credit cards have been opened, her credit is fine. Her phone had her ss#, credit card info, bank info, etc. Really when you think about it was of value; the $35 replacement phone or all of the information?
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts

(Oh yeah! Almost forgot about the alarm features Those are very handy, too.)
    The built-in one only works from certain apps and is slower to recognize the long key press.

The one in butler works from almost anywhere, recognizes long key press much faster and has configurable delays.
    Yeah I agree, I thought I wouldn't need the keylauncher until I realized the response rate is much quicker with Butler. Also, Butler is programmed to add a backspace after the long press which ensures when you go back tot he previous app, the letter you pressed is not there. I know this is a small feature but sometimes the little things matter as well.
    Sometimes (I think it depends on what app you're currently in) when i use KeyLauncher via Butler, when I activate a favorite, it displays the phone dialpad for a split second before launching the Favorite; thus making it take LONGER than the built-in KeyLauncher.

Anybody else experience this?

(I think that it always does it this way when I'm in Messaging and TreoLauncher)

Edit: I just realized it only does the dialpad display when launching a web address, it works like normal when I launch an app instead.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Thanks all. I bought it. What the heck, right?
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    Well if you need a LED for missed alerts then get Attn Grabber for free.

I personally like for led alert, the remote kill option and the six alarms. I have a hard time getting out of bed in the mornings!!!
    I'm trying AttnGrb out but I'm not sure if I'm getting full functioanality. I read this on the software website:

"AttnGrab relies on the Attention Manager. Apps that don't use the Attention Manager for their alerts will not trigger AttnGrab."

Do I need to install something else?
    No, the Attention Manager is that screen that pops up when you hold down the center "palm" button. It comes built-in on your Centro.
    I've tried Butler, but my Centro GSM always stucked always in REM sleep after turn off and drained my battery. After Butler uninstall, this problem disappeared.

Otherwise Butler is a good app.

For keyguard replacement I prefer Nexave 1Slide4U.
    No, the Attention Manager is that screen that pops up when you hold down the center "palm" button. It comes built-in on your Centro.
    Nice FStop... I never knew that holding down that button did anything. To get at the screen I'd always have to hit the corner flashing icon, which is super hard without a stylus because its so far in the corner.

Great tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    Nice FStop... I never knew that holding down that button did anything. To get at the screen I'd always have to hit the corner flashing icon, which is super hard without a stylus because its so far in the corner.

Great tip.
    My pleasure.
    Check out this thread for lots more neat tricks & tips:

http://treo.discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=156165