1.    #1  
    I haven't heard Palm phones as being able to use this new service...?

How It Works

Let's say Bob wants to share his location with his girlfriend Jane. He invites her to accept his invitation through his mobile device or computer. Then Jane can accept and share her location back; accept but not share her location; or completely reject poor Bob. If Jane has chosen to share her location with Bob, she can decide whether to share her best available location or simply which city she's in. Jane could also hide her location to keep ol' Bob in the dark from time to time, or if Jane breaks up with Bob for her neighbor Richard, then she could just remove Bob from her location list altogether.

In addition to restricting specific people, Latitude will also let you do a blanket location setting for all your contacts. You can choose to let Latitude detect your location automatically, you can also set it manually if you prefer or you can hide your location completely.
    The list of compatible phones are:

*Android-powered devices, such as the T-Mobile G1

*iPhone and iPod touch devices (coming soon)

*most color BlackBerry devices

*most Windows Mobile 5.0+ devices

*most Symbian S60 devices (Nokia smartphones) *many Java-enabled (J2ME) mobile phones, such as Sony Ericsson devices (coming soon)
    Maybe because its not supported.
    No PalmOS support for Google Latitude sounds like a great feature of PalmOS to me.

Google already knows enough about me from my searches and map lookups. They don't need my mail and sure as heck don't need my location 24/7.
    You opt in/out as needed with the application. It is as "private" as you designate it to be.
    I asked in the other thread about the mechanism that it uses. Does anybody know? ie What messages of what type are exchanged? Does it use GPS or a-GPS etc
    It uses a combination of Wifi, GPS, and A-GPS depending on the device and what type of hardware it has. Right now PalmOS is not supported and with the Pre comming out I doupt there will be support for POS.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I am still none the wiser. How is the position communicated?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    With a Centro, it would be communicated by cell tower triangulation. Google Maps for example uses this method to find "My Location" within 5000 meters.
    Quote Originally Posted by sstlthy View Post
    With a Centro, it would be communicated by cell tower triangulation. Google Maps for example uses this method to find "My Location" within 5000 meters.
    Let me put it this way. My Location is a program on your Centro that estimates your positon from tower information. Assuming that the Google Latitude program does something similar, my question is how is that position communicated to Google and your friends? And how are your friends' positions communicated to your phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Let me put it this way. My Location is a program on your Centro that estimates your positon from tower information. Assuming that the Google Latitude program does something similar, my question is how is that position communicated to Google and your friends? And how are your friends' positions communicated to your phone?
    It uses your phones data connection to upload your location and the same with the other people's phones.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    It uses your phones data connection to upload your location and the same with the other people's phones.
    More details please.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    More details please.
    What else is there to know? Do you have a specific question you're looking to get answered? There's plenty more detail over at the Google site, if you want to research the technical aspects. Considering this is a Palm forum & the upgrade isn't supported on PalmOS, I'd say you won't get a much better answer here than you've already got..
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    I'd say you won't get a much better answer here than you've already got..
    Apparently not.