1.    #1  
    I saw that Skype supports a number of phones, but the palm line isn't listed, however, when I googled "palm Skype" I saw an announcement in Apr, 2006 that it was.

Is there a Skype app for the palm? If so, does it work on the Centro?

Thanks in advance.

Scott
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    There is no fully functioning skype for palm. There are a few abortive attempts that don't work very well.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    IM+ places a call (voice) to its server which then converts it to VIOP...at a price/min.

iSkoot is free and is VOIP end-to-end. Works great. UI look just like Skype. Due to it having to update the contact list so often you may notice some flicker. IM+ either doesn't update its list as often or does a better job of masking it. Call quality is very good over EVDO. There is even SkypeOut capability for calling landlines, which I haven't tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by imfletcher32 View Post
    IM+ places a call (voice) to its server which then converts it to VIOP...at a price/min.

iSkoot is free and is VOIP end-to-end. Works great. UI look just like Skype. Due to it having to update the contact list so often you may notice some flicker. IM+ either doesn't update its list as often or does a better job of masking it. Call quality is very good over EVDO. There is even SkypeOut capability for calling landlines, which I haven't tried.
    There's no iSkoot listed for the Centro. I tried the Treo 650 version, which crashed my Centro.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imfletcher32 View Post

According to iSkoot documentation, the program calls a local # (based on your settings) which gateways into the Skype system. Did they change the behavior to use pure VOIP end-to-end? Otherwise it isn't really "Skype" as most people would take that meaning because it is using up your minutes.

I believe IM+ is also using voice routing for Skype calls, not VOIP end-to-end.

Basically these are Skype-Lite solutions, not Skype solutions.
    Last edited by sfhub; 02/08/2009 at 02:37 PM.
    But it's clear that we're not going to get a real Skype solution for PalmOS. iSkoot isn't bad on my Centro, and IMO it's not a problem that your phone conversation takes place over an actual phone call rather than voice-over-IP.

I've used iSkoot successfully to call overseas (using SkypeOut) for pennies per minute. This is awfully nice when you're on the road or in a place (e.g., my office) where you can't place an international call on a landline. I've also used iSkoot to receive calls from Skype subscribers.
    When I was previously using my 700p, I successfully used iskoot as well. It's not perfect, but it at least is a workable skype solution for PalmOS....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    But it's clear that we're not going to get a real Skype solution for PalmOS. iSkoot isn't bad on my Centro, and IMO it's not a problem that your phone conversation takes place over an actual phone call rather than voice-over-IP.

I've used iSkoot successfully to call overseas (using SkypeOut) for pennies per minute. This is awfully nice when you're on the road or in a place (e.g., my office) where you can't place an international call on a landline. I've also used iSkoot to receive calls from Skype subscribers.
    I don't think it is a problem either *if that is what you want*. You basically have Skype-lite on Centro not to be confused with Skype on Centro, which will probably never happen.

However it isn't VOIP end-to-end as someone mentioned earlier and it does use your minutes, whereas a true VOIP would use just data, which for some is unlimited.

As to usefulness for overseas, some people use pinless calling cards where you just call an access # and they recognize your phone by callerid then allow intl calls using very good rates. Convenience and portability to any phone.

iSkoot is also useful in this way for using Skype as the transport.
    sfhub, it seems iSkoot IS call-based to their server. I just ran the app but now I get the error message ("couldn't connect your call") when trying pc-pc calls or chat. Haven't used it in 6 mo. Now I guess I'll never use it again! Its annoyingly slow anyway. It locks up all the time. And you could never trust the status icons for your contacts. Sadly, the app version is still the same I see on the web site. Wait for webOS, eh?