1.    #1  
    I'm using the Sprint mail app, but it's inadaquate. I've seen Versamail referred to many times as "Worsamail" and described as the source of much grief, to the point that people make custom ROMs to remove it.

Is the current Centro ver of Versamail the same bag of stuff or vastly improved ( quite likely...)?
    What's the best alternative for not much coin? ( < $20, I have to be much tighter with a $ recently).
    Basic functions and reliability are enough, POP and IMAP, don't need to connect to BES or over a VPN.
    Versamail on the Centro is really pretty good. It does IMAP and EAS. For the ease of EAS it can't be beat.
    I use VersaMail dozens of times a day and never had a problem!
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    I use SnapperMail on my Centro. Give it a try. I believe they have a trial period. Here's the link:

http://snappermail.com/wireless/email/

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Chatter email here. Much better than Versamail but it isn't free.
    ChatterEmail also.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Just about everything has positives and negatives, so I'd be surprised if there were zero people who disliked Versamail. I suspect every program named here has its share of people who dislike it. You can't always go by what others say. Sometimes you have to see and decide for yourself.

I have no problems with Versamail. It does what I want when I want, so I'm satisfied. I'm a rather light user with fairly basic needs for mobile e-mail though, so it's possible that you'd want to try something else if Versamail doesn't seem to have what you want. I would try the available free and/or pre-installed options before going to a pay program though -- why pay if a no-cost option can do what you need/want?
    i like versamail a lot more than sprint's
    I use Exchange. I used Chatter for years and recently switched to Versamail. Here are some observations:

Chatter has many features and custom settings. IMO it is better suited for "power users" or people that live in email. It gives you much more control.

Versamail keeps my Calendar and Contacts updated too.

Battery life is better with Versamail.

Versamail won't give audible alerts for new email unless system sounds are turned on. I HATE that. (you can create a solution by using Butler's attenton grabber but it's a little complicated.)

Both programs have a few issues displaying some emails properly.

Versamail meets my needs now that email is less "critical" than it used to be. The Calendar thing has become essential.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I primarily use SME as it does push. VersaMail, on the other hand can be configured to show cyrillics properly, which SME cant (it does not have font settings in options)
    I use SnappermMail and Veramail on my 755 (I user SnapperMail for the bulk of my email accounts and Versamail for my Gmail account and weather account - I can poll it at a different frequency then my normal mail). I set up Versamail on my wife's Centro as she is a light user (only one account) and I didn't feel like paying for a second copy of SnapperMail. We are happy with both the 755 and Centro setup.

George
  12.    #12  
    Slightly O/T, but I'll hold off on a new thread since this has been answered before ... somewhere.
    When I am about to use Versamail, it prompts me to Hotsync. But, I haven't sync'd the Centro since i have an existing Palm Desktop for a TX and want to keep calendar and contacts, at least, synced.

Can or should I start Versamail without a Hotsync?

I haven't worked out the multi-devices, one PIM issue yet so I don't want to sync to the old TX desktop data until I have a clue what I'm doing.
    I will create a new thread to discuss the latter question, meanwhile can I just start Centro Versamail w no Hotsync?
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    You should be able to if the Centro came with VersaMail preloaded. I believe I had to download it when I got my Centro. In fact, I was just looking at my setup and I don't even have the Versamail conduit installed (I don't need it).

First thing you're going to have to do is install the Palm Desktop which came with your device and if you are going to keep using the TX, you'll make a new username for the Centro so everything will be kept separate.

To get the contacts and calendar transferred, you can either beam them to the Centro from the TX or export them in the TX part of the Palm Desktop as a dba file and import them into your Centro Username part of the Palm Desktop.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpuglisi View Post
    You should be able to if the Centro came with VersaMail preloaded. I believe I had to download it when I got my Centro. In fact, I was just looking at my setup and I don't even have the Versamail conduit installed (I don't need it).

First thing you're going to have to do is install the Palm Desktop which came with your device and if you are going to keep using the TX, you'll make a new username for the Centro so everything will be kept separate.

To get the contacts and calendar transferred, you can either beam them to the Centro from the TX or export them in the TX part of the Palm Desktop as a dba file and import them into your Centro Username part of the Palm Desktop.
    Well I'd like the 2 calendars and contacts to act as one - enter new info on either, update on the other. Can I deliberately dulplicate the TX's username on the Cento and have the Desktop think they're the same device, or is that asking for a compatibility disaster? If it means unreliable gadgets and fiddling with ingenious fixes, then *no thanks*.

OR, use a different name for the new device (centro) and install some widget that syncs selected data automatically. Does that exist?