Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Just got my Centro on vzw. I've got the data plan as well. Couple of questions.

1. I'd like to get some opinions on vzw's wireless sync software. I'm not planning on using the Centro for email other than my personal POP3/IMAP stuff. I'm generally leery of vzw's proprietary software so I'm not inclined to use/install it.

2. Should I bother installing vzw's access manager? I don't plan on tethering the Centro.

Thanks in advance!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    1. It's junk. Use VersaMail. It's free and fairly robust. If you want something a bit more powerful, you can purchase Chattermail, which has been updated in the past year to support the Centro. But VM should be good average for the "average" user's needs.

2. No, don't install it if you don't need it.

3. Make sure you do a PRL update (*228) and also install the latest version of Google Maps (www.google.com/gmm in Blazer) so you can use your Centro's My Location feature in Google Maps. Hit the 0 key when in Google Maps to get a sorta-accurate fix on your location.

Good luck!
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Super. Thanks for the response. I had a 755p at work until my boss forced me to a BB 8830 WE. I'm looking forward to the Centro for personal use.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Just out of curiosity, can you let me know which version of Versamail is on the VZW Centro? IIRC, you have to either nstall it from the bundled software CD or download it directly from Palm's support site (I think it's a DL).

It's definitely not in the device's ROM like the Sprint Centro.

Also, don't forget to apply the VZW Centro ROM update from back in October. I installed it on several Centros belonging to some colleagues and it appears to have helped slightly with signal strength in poor reception areas and when roaming.

DL it from Palm at: http://tinyurl.com/bb9yme
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Will do once I activate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Just out of curiosity, can you let me know which version of Versamail is on the VZW Centro?
    I have VersaMail Personal Edition v 4.0.1.00 (the non-exchange non-MS Direct Push version) on Verizon and yeah its Dl'd from a link to Palm's support site from within the MY CENTRO section. There's also a link for the exchange, MS direct push version but I haven't a clue as to which version it is.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info. I am just wondering which is the ultimately newer version...the 4.0.1 built 77 (dated Dec 19 2007) for Sprint's Treo or the two Verizon versions of VM.

I think if you have the cheaper VZW "personal" smartphone data plan ($29.99/month IIRC) then you are "supposed" to get the Personal edition of VM, not the Exchange push one.

Other than that, I think you're all set to go. Keep us posted how it does and if you prefer the Centro over your previous 755p. I am gonna stck with my VZW 755p until it dies but I may try to pick up a cheap VZ Centro "just in case" due to me not feeling the Pre sensation too strongly at the moment...
    Thanks for the info. I am just wondering which is the ultimately newer version...the 4.0.1 built 77 (dated Dec 19 2007) for Sprint's Treo or the two Verizon versions of VM.

I think if you have the cheaper VZW "personal" smartphone data plan ($29.99/month IIRC) then you are "supposed" to get the Personal edition of VM, not the Exchange push one.

Other than that, I think you're all set to go. Keep us posted how it does and if you prefer the Centro over your previous 755p. I am gonna stck with my VZW 755p until it dies but I may try to pick up a cheap VZ Centro "just in case" due to me not feeling the Pre sensation too strongly at the moment...
    Actually, my Sprint Centro has Versamail 4.0.100 Build 86 March 30 2008. I think it was updated with the Centro 1.07-Sprint ROM update.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Thanks again for the tip. Everyone I know who has a Centro has a GSM or a Verizon one, so I'm sorta out of the loop on the most recent Sprint ROM changes.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    VersaMail 4.0.1.00 doesn't have build # that I can find (vzw).

Love the form of the Centro. I've got small fingers and good eyesight.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    One more question. Insurance on the centro...yes or no? I've never taken it and never have had a problem.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Glad you're liking it! Have you applied the 1.03 ROM update from October yet?

I've got good eyesight but big fat fingers. I COULD live with the Centro keyboard (just barely) but I really wouldl like to have a slightly larger LCD.

Hmmmm...Insurance? I saw no. Verizon is usually pretty lousy about having replacement/refurb handsets available (ESPECIALLY of Palm's products) so I wouldn't waste the $.

Oh, how much RAM is available on the VZW Centro out of the box? I am assuming it's in the ~66mb-68mb neighrborhood.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I applied the 1.03 when it came fresh out of the box to reduce the hard reset anxiety. I wish the vzw ROM update was more Mac friendly (I know about the card trick) but I had a dell hanging around for just such an occasion.

68.8mb out of the box.

It's so nice to have decent PIM apps and an html email client again. My enterprise BB 8830WE has the old RIM OS (w/o the html email) and their PIM applications are hot garbage. I also prefer Blazer to the RIM browser but I'm more used to Palm.

I started out with the Centro and downgraded to the 755p. LOVE the 755, the centro's keyboard is too small even for my hands.
    I'm fine with the the Centro's keybd (thin finger's), but now like the idea of the Pre's bigger screen plus having the keybd.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    I'm fine with the the Centro's keybd (thin finger's), but now like the idea of the Pre's bigger screen plus having the keybd.
    I could not agree more.