1.    #1  
    I recently got a Palm Centro a few weeks ago, and at the same time, got a blue rubber case from Verizon Wireless. But I really don't like the case... it ruins the aesthetics of the device, and makes it thicker... however, I really don't want to risk damaging the phone either. Typically I carry my phone in a pocket on its own (no keys or anything like that), my last phone lasted over four years with only minor damage (the antenna also broke off, but for different reasons) in this kind of situation, but it was a flip-phone. Can any of you who have had Centros for some time chime in? Do you think I would be alright keeping the Centro in the nude, or should I stick to the case?
    The Centro is tough. I have dropped mine a number of times even on concrete. It has a very durable screen. Just don't put it in your back pocket and sit on it.
    I agree. After 6 months (at least) I've dropped mine more than I'd like to admit, a few times on concrete, & still have ZERO scratchesm chips, dents ANYTHING on the casing. It's pretty amazing, really. Still has that great shiny sparkle finish like the day I unboxed it =D
    The very first thing I installed for protection was a screen protective film. Even though Palm says there is one already installed, I just can't bear to poke and prod at a bare screen. Seeing some of the stray scratches

I too tried the "case" option for the Centro, but didn't like the added thickness (especially after being pleased that Palm trimmed the treo down).

But I was afraid of using the device totally "naked" so I ordered a bit of protection from "skinit.com; designed a personalized covering and am VERY happy that I did! The skinit adds negligible thickness to the device, yet does offer some protection from scuffs and dings. And up to a point,even punctures from ferret's teeth!

But then I found I needed more battery power so I opted for the fat extended battery and the resultant fat cover. Surprisingly this added "bulk" actually makes the Centro easier for me to hold. But the skinit doesn't fit the extended battery cover and this is noticeably more slick than the skinit covering.

My centro has been subjected to gravitational forces on a few occasions and so far has suffered no ill effects.

I've tossed it in my purse as well as my pocket and it still looks and feels great after several months!

I wouldn't subject it to a game of street hockey, but it definitely is durable enough to travel around in your pocket as is, or with just a film of protection.

When I see all my friends suffering through broken thin flip phones and cracked screens, I am pleased with the design of the centro.

Cheers,
    Kim
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    I carry my in my front pants pocket naked.
    No issues what so ever after 7 months.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Front pockets naked? How is that even possible? ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    Front pockets naked? How is that even possible? ;-)

iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I dropped my Centro (with case) once when jumping and it popped from my pocket and fell onto a concrete driveway. No problems whatever.

It was in a Case-Mate case, without holster. I really like that case.
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    you guys are lucky, i've had my current centro for probably 6-7 months and just yesterday dropped it for the first time on pavement. got some decent chunks out of the top left of the front of the casing and some scratches around the keyboard lip :P
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
  10. j3n
    I don't have a case on mine, and have very few scratches. Just along the curved part on the bottom, and the back silver piece, but that is because the Decal Girl decal pulled the silver off (wtf!!)

I normally carry it in my back pocket or on my desk while at work, and when I'm out and about in the cell pocket in my purse. Its been dropped quite a few times, and has gone across the room a few too. Last week it was making me mad (I was on my cordless office phone and the Centro kept interfering) so I set it on the ground and slid it across the room on the carpet. It bounced off the wall but survived. With no scratches from that either
    My girlfriend managed to effectively destroy hers in about 3 and a half-4 months time. It was dropped multiple times on concert, resulting in numerous dents/scratches/gouges/etc, and then finally dropped one last time on asphalt that resulted in a wicked screen crack, which ultimately resulted in the LCD bleeding out across the screen (underneath the first layer of screen, so it wasn't spilling out of the device itself). She had to recently replace it with a Curve due it being unusable.

So! If you're the type who has gravity issues, I'd recommend getting some kind of protective case/skin/holster.
    My skin has protected my phone. I also have a screen protector which IMO is needed. Amazon has them for cheap. I try to make sure my baby is safe LOL
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    I practically KILL cell phones for a living & still haven't managed to scuff my screen at all without any sort of protection. I guess it just comes down to a personal opinion between the balance of bulk/sensitivity & peace of mind. But for what it's worth, I've gone through 2 Centros, each about 4 months each & the screens are tanks.
    I went with the horizontal belt clip case with no screen protector.
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    I went with the horizontal belt clip case with no screen protector.
    I use the same set up. So far so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    I recently got a Palm Centro a few weeks ago, and at the same time, got a blue rubber case from Verizon Wireless. But I really don't like the case... it ruins the aesthetics of the device, and makes it thicker... ........Do you think I would be alright keeping the Centro in the nude, or should I stick to the case?

I had my 1st Centro for about 9 months, after which the speaker connection became loose, nothing else was wrong. Sprint phone insurance replaced the whole phone. I would advise at least a screen protector; sure you can do without it but I find the inevitable scratches annoying.

The plastic is better than Palm's previous issue; they finallly got the message about shaving every penny off hardware costs (after shaving almost their entire market cap is plummeting share price...). BUT, if you don't like scratches try some minimal thin case, like 3M Scotchcal pre-cut (easier) or cut yourself (may take several tries). Mine held up to a few drops with no immediate effects, but the intermittent speaker issue might have been set off by those. If you want four years out of and do not have insurance then you do need to minimze the number of drops etc. I don't like rubber or silicone cases - they drag in your pocket and even the 'lintless' silicone collects lint.

So far it's a great little phone and a good value.
    i've never had any problems