Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I tried SilverScreen v2.1 + VFSHelper and I got a Fatal Alert. (e.g., reset required.)
    Originally posted by purplemd

1. Visors cannot update the OS to 4.o, hence the kudos for VFSHelper. As I understand, this will make software recognize my Visor as VFS-enabled, for lack of a better term. Correct?

Correct.

2. If software sees my Visor as VFS-enabled, then I can use software which states that it is for the m50x, Clie or Handera because the major difference is that they have VFS and Visors do not. Correct? (I was getting quite confused as to why so many applications were being mentioned, yet when I would look for them they would state they were specifically for m50x, Clie and Handera).

That depends. If you have a Prism/Platinum/Edge with OS 3.5 then the answer in most cases is "yes". As long as the app doesn't require any OS 4.0 features beyond VFS, it will probably run fine on your VFS enabled Visor. If you have a Visor with OS 3.1 (VDX, Solo, etc), then it's a game of chance. Some developers write their VFS apps to be OS 3.1 compatible, some don't.

3. As I understand from the release notes in VFSHelper, I need to use either LauncherIIIbeta or PowerRun because the native Palm launcher cannot recognize anything on a memory card. Correct? According to the notes, PowerRun is supposed to work with any launcher. Correct? Does the launcher need to be in RAM? I'm thinking yes...

Correct on both counts.

I have a number of medical texts which I would like to move individually rather than en masse if possible.

Keep in mind that you can always use FAFileMover (or another VFS based file manager) to manually move individual files back and forth between CF and RAM any time. It's nice to have everything "automated", but for infrequently used apps or data, the extra steps to move them to RAM manually when you need them really aren't a big deal. And the less stuff that is "automated" the faster the automation is.
    <ul><li>Dave Kessler<br>President - Kopsis, Inc.</li></ul>
    Originally posted by kkingdon
    I tried SilverScreen v2.1 + VFSHelper and I got a Fatal Alert. (e.g., reset required.)
    We're looking into this problem and hope to have a fix soon.
    Thanks to everyone for all the help! Since I never upgraded SilverScreen since I didn't want tabs messing up the themes. I plan to try it with the PowerRun application.

As I understand from the notes, I can't use my USB Card Reader to put everything on my CF card because PowerRun will not recognize the applications if I put them there that way. Or else I will have to move them off and back (which may actually be quicker since most of them are on my 16 MB RAM module right now...)

I am supposed to be working from home today.... So far, I've had the car washed, straighten the living room, mopped the kitchen floor, checked my email, ripped some songs from CDs and played with my Visor. I don't think these activities will be counted as billable patient hours....

PurpleMD
    Also be aware that 3rd party applications that are moved to/ and exist only on the CF card are NOT seen by HotSync Manager. Therefore, if they have an accompaning conduit (desktop component), those conduits will not be run.

(HotSync Manager only runs installed conduits that it knows have matching applications on the palm...and if they are hidden on a memory card... it's a no go).
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
    Originally posted by kkingdon
    Our "Beta5" release of VFSHelper for Innopocket and Matchbook (and do-it-yourself) CF adapters fixes the incompatibility problems with SilverScreen v2.1. You can now use SilverScreen v2.1 to launch apps stored on CF.
    Originally posted by dsilver

I am using the latest beta - 1.4.3 - and it does "automagically" delete programs from RAM without user input. No need to select delete, the action is completed after the move has taken place. It is exceptionally stable (at least, for the past 3 days I've been using it). Before I started using my FlashPlus card, I had about 2.4meg left on my Prism; I now sport 5.85meg without any ill effects. To name just a few, I'm running WordSmith, Action Names, TinySheet, SplashPhoto, BibleReader, Filez, and many more without incident. Again, I never have to manually delete anything. No, there isn't a labelled move option, but it happens just the same.
    How well does BibleReader work this way? Are you using just FAFileMover or are you also using VFSHelper? And did you move the App and/or the databases to your CF card?

I was also curious what the performance would be like. BR is sometimes slow as is, although I did notice an improvement after I upgraded from a VDX to a VPR...

Brian
    Hi Brian,

Originally posted by Briguy

How well does BibleReader work this way? Are you using just FAFileMover or are you also using VFSHelper? And did you move the App and/or the databases to your CF card?

Yup, am running both apps. The newest version of BibleReader, does very well with the card. I have both the reader and databases on the card and it opens them without a hitch.

I was also curious what the performance would be like. BR is sometimes slow as is, although I did notice an improvement after I upgraded from a VDX to a VPR...

Performance is much slower through loadup than having the program in RAM; but once it's on line, there is no difference. Searches are just as fast as they are running off of the PDA itself. I have a Prism, so we're talking apples to apples.

David
    I installed it, and it only recognized that i had a card once. Neve did again.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12