Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    hey all, i admit i am not a palm owner. I am a crackberry addict personally BUT could be switching back if the PRE is anything like it appears to be....

    I am wondering about the centro for my mom though. She is on Verizon and is due for a ne2 $50 upgrade. I want to help her with her bad memory, etc by introducing her to smartphones. She is not too old, 55, but not very tech savvy and has poor near vision (needs reading glasses)

    First thigns first, she will not get a data plan, no way, no how, it appears verizon's website will let me order the centro without a data plan but I know you need one now with BB, so i dont know if the centro is the same. If not, can we disable internet? I dont want to take the risk with the kb plan. She doesnt need e-mail, etc, I just want her to have a calendar, to-do list, descent contacts, etc basically the things palm has always done well.

    I know i can get her a dumbphone that now does these things but, i think a qwerty keyboard is the only way she would actually make use of one of these things.

    I am worried about her bad far sightedness, she needs glasses to see up close which worries me because she doesnt always have them on and i worry will be one more reason she will not use the device alot.

    but if anyone has any input or suggestions i appreciate it. She is staying with verizon, so if the device isnt on vzw, its not helpful....

    thanks!
  2. #2  
    If she has bad eyes I'd go for a 755P off ebay instead of the centro.

    I have good eyesight, but the Centro's screen is small, as is the keyboard. I'm actually downgrading to the 755p from the Centro to have the larger keyboard and better screen.

    I bought my husband's 700P off ebay for $53, activated on verizon no problem, not required to have a data plan because the phone predates the November 2008 rule for data plans.
  3.    #3  
    so the 755p would also not need a data plan? is the 755p CDMA though?

    what about the centro? does it not need a data plan?

    is there a way to block data usage on either of these phones?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mike240se View Post
    so the 755p would also not need a data plan? is the 755p CDMA though?

    what about the centro? does it not need a data plan?

    is there a way to block data usage on either of these phones?
    If you buy the 755P off ebay and make sure it's a CDMA for Verizon you don't have to have a data plan. you can completely block data by telling Verizon to, but if you do that then you won't be able to receive MMS messages.

    Or like someone else said, just set the default to ask for permission before connecting to the internet if you have a pay as you go data plan.

    My daughter has a Motorola Q without data and we don't have a data block we just created a dummy network for the phone to try and connect to for those apps that might use data or if one of her friends tries to browse the web from her phone
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by CentroAngie View Post
    If you buy the 755P off ebay and make sure it's a CDMA for Verizon you don't have to have a data plan. you can completely block data by telling Verizon to, but if you do that then you won't be able to receive MMS messages.

    Or like someone else said, just set the default to ask for permission before connecting to the internet if you have a pay as you go data plan.

    My daughter has a Motorola Q without data and we don't have a data block we just created a dummy network for the phone to try and connect to for those apps that might use data or if one of her friends tries to browse the web from her phone
    and the centro can also be activated w/o data plan? i think my mom is going to think the centro is too large, so the 755p is going to be way to big for her i am thinking.

    i was just looking at it and was like, wait, my mom wants a small flip phone! the centro is going to be a hard enough sale, size wise as it is!
  6. #6  
    I'm 50 and wear contacts. There is no discernable difference between the screens of the Centro and the 700 (or 755). The Centro's screen is actually crisper.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    I'm 50 and wear contacts. There is no discernable difference between the screens of the Centro and the 700 (or 755). The Centro's screen is actually crisper.
    I agree with you Alli. The screen is crispier. But the keyboard is a different story. Not only is it smaller to use, it harder to see.

    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  8.    #8  
    not to be a broken record but can someone confirm that i can get the centro new for my mom with her ne2 without data? sorry but if the answer to this is no because its after nov 2008 or something, then our journey ends here
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mike240se View Post
    not to be a broken record but can someone confirm that i can get the centro new for my mom with her ne2 without data? sorry but if the answer to this is no because its after nov 2008 or something, then our journey ends here
    If you're getting it through verizon then you need to ask them.
    I was told that you didn't need a dataplan for it, but I have a dataplan so I have no proof that what I was told was true.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    I'm 50 and wear contacts. There is no discernable difference between the screens of the Centro and the 700 (or 755). The Centro's screen is actually crisper.
    with both sitting here side by side man i disagree. the screen of the 700 is much larger, easier to read
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mike240se View Post
    not to be a broken record but can someone confirm that i can get the centro new for my mom with her ne2 without data? sorry but if the answer to this is no because its after nov 2008 or something, then our journey ends here
    I recently purchased a Centro with discount and use Verizon Wireless without a dataplan, there were no problems.
  12. #12  
    I think the size of the keyboard may be more of an issue than the screen
  13. #13  
    The 700 (as well as 755) DOES have a bigger screen, but it and the Centro are both 320X320. The screen is crisper on the Centro because the pixels are smaller.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    The 700 (as well as 755) DOES have a bigger screen, but it and the Centro are both 320X320. The screen is crisper on the Centro because the pixels are smaller.
    I just must be blind. I pulled up the same application on both (Butler) and the 700P is much clearer and sharp over the Centro.

    I can also see my icons in DateBk much easier on the 700P.

    the keyboard is the fatal flaw for me with the centro. Even with being a heavy texter i can't get proficient at the keyboard to eliminate annoying errors.
  15. #15  
    Right, the 700 screen items are easier to see because the pixels are larger than the Centro's, therefore the on-screen items will be larger as well.

    But things should theoretically be crisper/smoother looking on the Centro because the pixels are smaller, thus eliminating jagged edges and such that are much more visible on a 700 screen.
  16. #16  
    get her a cheaper phone.. why an expensive treo?
  17. jj2me's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #17  
    1. Is No data plan offered?
    If you want to see if you can get a Centro with no data plan, for VZW, go to their web page and start as if you're buying the Centro. You'll get to a screen that allows you to select a data plan. If one of the options is $0 monthly and pay per minute, then you're good.

    2. Best way to turn off data.
    This thread tells all the ways. Step 2 is best, repeated here:

    "Step 2:
    ==========
    On the Palm OS Device
    Preferences > Network > Menu > Service > New
    ....Service: NoDataCharges
    ....Connection: Cradle/Cable
    Click [Done]"

    This allows you to toggle between having data and not having data. I never get any data charges because I have my Network Service set to NoDataCharges. But one time when I wanted to send a picture, I simply went into Prefs --> Network --> Service, and toggled to "Broadband Access", sent the picture, then toggled back to NoDataCharges.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorman View Post
    get her a cheaper phone.. why an expensive treo?
    My Treo cost me $53 bucks.
  19. jj2me's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by CentroAngie View Post
    I bought my husband's 700P off ebay for $53, activated on verizon no problem, not required to have a data plan because the phone predates the November 2008 rule for data plans.
    Did I mention how sucky this new rule is? Some of us just want device consolidation, not data. But they want us to pay $30/month for the privilege? Or else we have to go back to carrying two devices? Sheesh.
  20. #20  
    My 68 yoa mother had a treo 650 and we recently upgraded to centro's. Just try and take hers away from her. Quicken and jshopper and datebk5 are her best friends. Mom recently had cataract surgery and still wears glasses for reading and astigmatism. She has no probs with the centro. We also have no data plan...refuse to pay AT&T for that!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions