Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Worth the cost?
    Yes. I paid for it as soon as it came out and used it on my Centro as a backup. I haven't gone back to using it since switching to the 800w, but I still have it!
    It's really expensive, for doing something relatively simple. I think the mobile software companies need to realize they will move a lot more volume if they lower their prices. I think the most popular iPhone apps are free or $1, but if you sell 100,000 of them.... There must be a lot of Centro s out there, given the price.
    Goosync is a service, not an app. And it is comparable to hosted exchange plans, with which it is really in direct competition.
    GooSync is free if you only want the calendar synced. And it's just as much an app as a service. You download it & run it on your phone, sounds like the definition of an app to me...

..As for my opinion, I used the free version and 80% of the time when I tried syncing my info, it would give me an error/incomplete message.. & about 60% of the time it gave me an error, it actually DID sync my info. Way too independable & unstable for my liking, I eventually gave up on it altogether. I found MANY threads in the developer's own forums where users were experiencing the exact same thing as me.

The developers were very involved in their forums & offered help to everyone who posted, but I know quite a few Centro owners never did get the problem solved.

It's been probably 4 months since I deleted the app, so my opinion could quite possibly be outdated if a significant software update has been released since then.
    Last edited by fstopstigmata; 01/16/2009 at 06:45 AM.
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    GooSync is free if you only want the calendar synced. And it's just as much an app as a service. You download it & run it on your phone, sounds like the definition of an app to me...

..As for my opinion, I used the free version and 80% of the time when I tried syncing my info, it would give me an error/incomplete message.. & about 60% of the time it gave me an error, it actually DID sync my info. Way too independable & unstable for my liking, I eventually gave up on it altogether. I found MANY threads in the developer's own forums where users were experiencing the exact same thing as me.

The developers were very involved in their forums & offered help to everyone who posted, but I know quite a few Centro owners never did get the problem solved.

It's been probably 4 months since I deleted the app, so my opinion could quite possibly be outdated if a significant software update has been released since then.
    actually goosync runs what looks like a version of the synthesis syncml client, just branded to them. you can use that client with more than 1 server though.

i never get errors trying to sync my calendar with goosync. i have contacts sync through scheduleworld with the same app and that's a whole other story :P i ended up with like 50 blank contacts on my palm (and don't have palm desktop anywhere) yuck
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I've been using the free version on my Treo 755p for a long time with no data corruption at all. There were some issues early on, but they were fixed according to version history notes. I'm very pleased with the service. I considered the pay version when they offered a special price, but I'm not comfortable throwing anything other than calendar on the web. I can't risk the information contained in my contacts DB - especially for those listed in it!
    Both my wife and I use it with our Centro's on Sprint. We haven't had any issues in months.

We both maintain multiple individual calendars and a shared "family" calendar. It sure has made our life easier.

My wife did have a problem about 6 months ago...lots of duplicate events. I had to write some python code to clean it up. I still have the code if anyone needs it.

In any case, you might want to also look at Schedule World : http://www.scheduleworld.com/tg/cal/day.jsp

from the site:
    What Is ScheduleWorld?

• ScheduleWorld enables you to keep your contacts, events, tasks, and notes in sync with a large and growing number of devices and software.
    • ScheduleWorld is the world's most complete synchronization service with the greatest support for the most open standards based formats and protocols. If you're not sure if you can sync, try ScheduleWorld first.
    • ScheduleWorld is based entirely on open standards. If you wish to move to a new service in the future then it will be trivial for you to migrate your data.
    • ScheduleWorld is free.

franko353
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
  9. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Thanks all for the thoughts and Franko for the suggestion. I will check that out.
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by franko353 View Post
    In any case, you might want to also look at Schedule World : http://www.scheduleworld.com/tg/cal/day.jsp
    have you used scheduleworld, if so what client do you use for the syncml and what settings? my contacts still don't sync consistently after quite a bit of fiddling. they move from phone to gmail but not vice versa
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
    Quote Originally Posted by phwelo View Post
    have you used scheduleworld, if so what client do you use for the syncml and what settings? my contacts still don't sync consistently after quite a bit of fiddling. they move from phone to gmail but not vice versa
    Nope...I haven't tried it yet. I have a friend that just bought a new LG VX9700. She can't get the VX9700 to work with GooSync (not supported), so I suggested scheduleworld. I don't think she has tried it yet.
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
    Scheduleworld sounded great, so I went to sign up but instantly bombed out when trying to choose the time zone. Why do they have to be different than the rest of creation in listing zones by limited cities - none of which appear to share my (US central) time zone?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I tried Goosync on my Sprint Centro. It duplicated entries all the time if you moved them to a new date in the calendar. Also it won't keep a scheduled sync active. There was a lot of chatter on the forums about that but they still have not fixed it over a year later. Without that functionality it was worthless to me. I finally gave up and deleted Goosync a few weeks ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Goosync is a service, not an app. And it is comparable to hosted exchange plans, with which it is really in direct competition.
    Sounds overpriced then. If I am paying that kind of money, I would rather have hosted exchange.
    not really worth it for me at least
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    though this was worth a followup...

Can now (as of 23 Sep 2009) sync Google Calendar, Contacts, and Gmail via EAS to my centro.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/2632-1.htm
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Me too! wow! finally!

i noticed that it removed all my colour coding on my calendar entries on my centro ( oh which i had sync'd previously using goosync - goodbye! :-) )

and, some calender items were duplicated... but not all!

I've been prompted to press the sync button 3 times now..

--------------------------
    ooops, wrong thread window...

what i meant to say here was that it might be worth posting an update to this thread, seeing as how we can now sync Calendar Contacts and Email with Google, via Google's recently release Sync (via AES)...
    Last edited by chacalau; 10/06/2009 at 07:55 AM. Reason: brain fade
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chacalau View Post
    though this was worth a followup...

Can now (as of 23 Sep 2009) sync Google Calendar, Contacts, and Gmail via EAS to my centro.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/2632-1.htm
    Windows only tho? Not Palm?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    i know thats what it says on the Google Mobile site, but i have it working on my Centro!

just setup a versa mail account for gmail, and change the account type to Outlook EAS instead of IMAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by chacalau View Post
    i know thats what it says on the Google Mobile site, but i have it working on my Centro!

just setup a versa mail account for gmail, and change the account type to Outlook EAS instead of IMAP.
    Confirming that this works for me on GSM Centro too - the trick was to set it up witha fake e-mail address initially to prevent Versamail filling in the default IMAP setting for gmail. Then, once the account was set, go back in and edit the e-mail address to be the correct gmail address.

I had tried with the correct e-mail address initially, but refused to perform the initial sync. The two step process (above) seems to get round the problem.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast