Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I guess we have the last Palm OS device. How do you all feel about that?

I was surfing on it last night looking for news regarding the new Pre and thought that this is still one great little smartphone! It makes waiting for the Pre not seem as bad if I was on someother phone.
    You're right I love the Centro especially the way I have it tweaked right now. After a year and a half its finally configured perfectly I am getting optimized battery life and maybe one reset every two weeks. I am not sure if the Pre is going to be as easy to customize. I returned an iphone and stuck with the centro and I don't see the pre being that much different from the iphone. I probably won't upgrade unless there is a palm emulator for the pre that allows backward compatibility of apps. I spent a lot of money and I don't want to spend it again on redundant apps.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
  3.    #3  
    I don't have to much additional appls that I paid for (power hero, mundu IM, card reader, usb modem) and I believe most of these will be included natively on the Pre. My issue will be if I want to wait until VZW gets it.
    The road map laid out by Palm pretty much has indicated that the Centro line will be the last Palm OS phone. But I don't think that means our Centros will be the last. They will probably continue to tweak it as the "entry" phone to develop customer loyalty from which you would eventually jump to the Pre or the Pro.

As far as modifying the Pre, many of my 3rd party apps are only there to perform functions that the OS should have already had (profile management, better UI, etc) so as long as the OS was built to do the things we think it should do then most of us won't miss many of the legacy apps. Other things like Bibles that I have I am confident will be available on the Pre platform eventually.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Greetings. This is my 1st post at TC. I love the whole intro and excitement over the Pre, but as of right now I'm quite content to stick with my Centro and let the early adopters (God bless 'em) have a go with the Pre.

As for the Centro being the last Palm OS phone. Maybe, but I don't care. As you can see from my signature I've still got plenty of Palm devices lying around. (I should list the PDA's on ebay and find good homes for them)

..and I still purchase 3rd party apps. I just purchased OperaFrontEnd last week and I'm looking to purchase USB Modem for my new laptop. I expect a fire sale on most Palm Os apps soon.

Once the Pre and WebOS are mature, say in about a year, I'll make the switch. The Centro will still be in the bullpen as an emergency backup. For me good old Garnet will be around for a long time to come.
    T3>TX>Sprint Centro>VZW Centro
    Good answer and I will be willing to give PalmOS an appropriate sign-off. Come on webOS!
    As I wrote in the Pre forum, the issue for me is what will happen to all the niche software developed for the PalmOS. (For example, I use a wonderful Chinese dictionary called Pleco.) Not all of it will be ported to WebOS, and certainly most of it not right away. And even if an emulator is developed for Garnet, use of stylus-dependent software is going to be clumsy.
    centro is nice I agree
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorman View Post
    centro is nice I agree
    Can you please limit your comments to things a bit more helpful? TIA
    I'm with you guys on this one. My Centro is the most stable of all my previous Palm devices. My 700p was a good phone but it reset alot. So I was glad to get the Centro.

The Pre has me interested. But I'm having a hard time with the not syncing directly with my laptop for my Outlook. Although companionlink has indicated that they will do it but not clear if you be able to sync directly using BT.

Regardless, the wait for the Pre or at least more info on the Pre is more tolerable since we have a good device for now.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    Can you please limit your comments to things a bit more helpful? TIA
    Your post was actually less helpful...and more words than doctorman's...

Here's to meaningless posts!

Flame on...TIA
    Last edited by abe frohman; 01/22/2009 at 12:19 AM.
    Treo 650 Verizon
    Well I'm only gonna say one more thing, just to clarify, cause I for one hate forum bickering just as much as the next guy:

If you look through the threads you'll see that doctorman went through and commented little things in about a dozen threads one right after another that really didn't contribute to anything but his post count and were basically unrelated to the discussion (see the example above). I simply thought everyone else would appreciate it if I gave him a heads-up so it didn't continue.

Sorry to upset you :P
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    Well I'm only gonna say one more thing, just to clarify, cause I for one hate forum bickering just as much as the next guy:

If you look through the threads you'll see that doctorman went through and commented little things in about a dozen threads one right after another that really didn't contribute to anything but his post count and were basically unrelated to the discussion (see the example above). I simply thought everyone else would appreciate it if I gave him a heads-up so it didn't continue.

Sorry to upset you :P
    Hey...I'm not upset...nor do I think anyone's bickering. I just saw dm's post as a vote in the affirmative for the Centro...which to me is worth something. I am, after all, still on the Treo 650...3 years and counting (has it been that long?)...still my original and tweaked to the hilt.

But, since...like the title of the thread suggests...the Centro may be the last PalmOS smartphone made I thought I better be prepared for the inevitable (knock on wood) drop under a moving car or into a flushing toilet.

I frequent the Centro forum just to keep tabs on the device in the event I need one sooner rather than later...I have a nice 3ft x 5ft matrix on my wall of the pro's and con's of moving to the centro from the 650...(just kidding...its the Guinness talking...I'm off tomorrow)

Cheers!
    Treo 650 Verizon
    Centro is the last Palm OS device but it doesn't mean it will be EOL any time soon. Palm has an unlimited license (from what I hear) for the OS, it is a good device and a good way to get people started on smartphones with the potential to "upsell" them later. It will need minimal tweaking as long as it competes in the $50 and under realm. It may help their parts contracts with vendors if there are any cross platform parts
    I wouldn't trade my Centro for any other device (at least on Verizon). That includes any BB, WM and the Iphone. You can move around and do things much faster than any other Treo or any other smartphone. It may not be perfect, and it may have an old OS, and it may be single-tasking, but compared to other smartphones it is fast, easy and with software, can do almost anything all the others can do.
    I think you'd be one of the few that thinks the Pre will be just another iphone.

With the much nicer screen and touch interface, why would you want an emulator to run ancient programs that aren't optimized for the new style of device? Especially when I'm sure some of those apps (as others have said) fill deficiencies in Garnet that should be native on the Pre. And with the webOS being supposedly very easy to write programs for, the developers of the programs you bought would most likely write versions for the Pre that take better advantage of it's GUI. Provided the developer still exists and the program is even worth updating. I'm sure everyone has an odd personal favorite or two.

If it is that easy to write programs you'll have that many more enthusiasts writing programs which could have a greater likelihood of being cheap shareware or freeware as opposed to commercial.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee View Post
    I am not sure if the Pre is going to be as easy to customize. I returned an iphone and stuck with the centro and I don't see the pre being that much different from the iphone. I probably won't upgrade unless there is a palm emulator for the pre that allows backward compatibility of apps. I spent a lot of money and I don't want to spend it again on redundant apps.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I think you'd be one of the few that thinks the Pre will be just another iphone.

I am not the only one. Apple is about to sue Palm of Tech infridgments.

Believe it or not the centro is a powerful device. The palm OS has a big advantage over any smartphone I have used when it comes to efficiency when launching apps (shortcuts). Many functions and apps will not be easy to replicated on the pre. For one thing the shortcuts on the pre will not be what the centro is. I can launch any app just by typing from 3 different apps and initiate opens and launchs what I want including anything on my phone from phone numbers to web searchs. I would like to see the pre do a web search from the calendar app. I can launch my favorite apps by holding down the hard buttons, the keyboard buttons, or briefly hold down the keyboard buttons and bring up fast launch. I would like to see the pre do that as efficiently.

Especially when I'm sure some of those apps (as others have said) fill deficiencies in Garnet that should be native on the Pre.
    I am not talking about bug fixes in the OS that pre will repair. I am talking about apps like 2day, Initiate, splashmoney, callrec, keylauncher, quickswitch, etc that will probably not be replicated near as functional as they are on the centro.

When I type in any app I have a spell checker checking my spelling as I go and I have text plus completing the words or phrases for me. I have not see this on the iphone so I would guess it would not be on the pre either.

the developers of the programs you bought would most likely write versions for the Pre that take better advantage of it's GUI.
    Also, apps that I love i.e. splashmoney when I tried it on a iphone with a similar web os it was clumsy and slow to enter transactions. I didn't like their GUI either, my guess is the webos has its limits for certain app functions. I can expect the apps like splashmoney on the pre to be more similar to the style of the iphone than the centro.

Who really needs a smartphone to multitask anyway? Doesn't it strike you as odd that the only smartphone to multitask is the pre. The pocket pc does a mock version of multitasking that is not too great. The only thing I would need multitasking for is for pulling up a calculator on top of another app. I do this now on the centro with snap calc.

If it is that easy to write programs you'll have that many more enthusiasts writing programs which could have a greater likelihood of being cheap shareware or freeware as opposed to commercial.
    I agree with you here. I think there will be much more apps to choose and the software will be cheaper as well, similar to the iphone store apps. Only problem here is you will have a bunch of amateurs turning out cr%& software that doesn't improve any function or is even necessary similar to the iphone app store.

After seeing the review on the pre from the CES the only thing I would like the pre over the centro for is the web app. I returned the iphone and don't miss anything except safari.

I thought it was funny when the guy from palm at the CES went on to brag about the brilliant colors and contrast of the pre screen only to have it looked like a washed out P.O.S. next to the blackberry storm screen.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    I think you're being a bit pessimistic. Trying to compare a phone that hasn't even launched yet to an OS that's been around for almost 13yrs. And no one is forcing you to upgrade to the Pre, so if the Centro and POS works for you, stick with it. I'm sure you'll see an upgraded Centro at some point that might thin it out and maybe make it a touch wider for comfort and screen's sake.

Why would you think shortcut buttons will be gone? The Pre has a hard keyboard. No reason to think one touch button functionality will be done away with.

And I'm not talking about OS bug fixes either. I'm hoping to do away with Agendus with all the "synergy" going on. Hoping they have upgraded the calendar and contacts a bit. So maybe 2day type functionality is native. And if it's not, why wouldn't ShSh write a version for the Pre? Especially one that can make use of the nicer larger screen and touch interface.

All of the programs you mentioned weren't around for 13yrs and even some that have been around for quite awhile weren't nearly as functional at their introduction. Things take time and they have to start somewhere. So if you scared, get a dog, keep your Centro that is working well obviously and play wait and see. No one is twisting your arm and destroying the Centro & POS the day the Pre starts selling. It's in Palm's future plans...Centro for the first timers, Treo for the business people and Pre for the lifestylers. At least by their definitions. That's hardly the definitions most users would give for each device.

So put on a pot of coffee, sit back, relax and let it all unfold first.

And no it doesn't strike me as odd that the Pre will hopefully truly multitask well. Did you ever think winmob doesn't do it well because the OS is limited? And instead of recreating the new one they just keep trying to patch and upgrade. I mentioned in another thread about Canon abandoning it's old lens system to create the EF Eos line. They hung all their old customers out to dry, and there was a lot more of an investment to start from scratch. I think they made out ok in the long run even though they probably ticked off quite a few current customers. Sometimes you just need to start from a clean slate in order to set yourself up for the future. And with the many great things POS could do, it still had limitations that prevented it from taking advantage of future tech and moving in the direction new phones seem to be going.

and Wifi? I have quite a few areas in hospitals that don't get phone reception but have public wifi. There will always be dead zones, and there are always more and more areas setting up wifi and not fee based hotspots. So there is a plus to having it.

I'd also take the amateur crap software like ifart if it means some kid hammers out something truly functional you wouldn't get if program writing was more limited. You can't have the good without the bad. It's just the way it is. You just seem so nervous and pessimistic about moving forward. Embrace and be excited while being cautious and wary. Nothing wrong with that.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I like to gripe, but you are right Palm needed to do this in order to stay in business. That being said I probably will be the first in line to get a Pre. I always have been that smartphone pioneer from the treo 300 till the centro I get them the day they come out. I am sure someone will have an emulator for Garnett by then for the hardcore palm fans like me. You are right I forgot about wifi a huge plus for me especially at home with broadband speeds.
    I would love a Pre and think I would get it to replace my Centro in a heartbeat. However, I'm on Verizon and who knows when they will get the Pre. So, until then, I will stay with my Centro and be happy with it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast