Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just spent a week dusting a good friend with the speed and versatility of my Centro vs. his Iphone. Every time we would need a phone number or directions we'd both whip out our phones and I would be on the phone to the restaurant before he was finished typing. He also had that app that you could hold up to a speaker and guess the song - I was still quicker by typing in a couple of words of the song and the word: "lyrics" into google. It was a fun competition. The one app he did have on the iphone that had me extremely jealous was the Google voice search for the Iphone that allowed him to voice search the web while driving. Is there an app for the Centro that does that?
    Don't think so. That's a pretty recent development on the Iphone as well
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I think Goog411 would work

http://www.google.com/goog411/
    You can just call 1-800-GOOG-411

It is basically free voice search. Works great.
    NUANCE VOICE CONTROL! I cannot live without this app. It came packaged with Sprint Centros and you have a 30 day trial. After that you have to pay $6/month.

Not only does it allow you to speak text messages, (and it is eerily accurate!) which is what I use mine for the most, you can also do things like say...."google the population of Tennessee",or, for phone numbers or directions say...."Find Pizza Hut near (zipcode)" You can also use it to dial numbers, get weather, and compose short emails.

Yes, there is a monthly charge but this app has really taken my "text while driving" to a whole new safety level.
    Last edited by nchargreed; 01/14/2009 at 12:08 PM.
    Yeah, about the eerie accuracy of NVC.. I SWEAR palm pays someone to sit & wait & type these things. It's unbelievable how dead-on it is. I've stuttered during a recording a few times & it still never skipped a beat.
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    Yeah, about the eerie accuracy of NVC.. I SWEAR palm pays someone to sit & wait & type these things. It's unbelievable how dead-on it is. I've stuttered during a recording a few times & it still never skipped a beat.

OMGoodness, funny you should say that because I've sworn the same thing! My boyfriend thinks I'm paranoid but its crazy how a computer knows to capitalize "COLTS", when I'm referring to the sports team.
    Yep, I've even spoke a grocery list of random things to my girlfriend & it put in commas where needed & all.
    Does Nuance work with other carriers???
    Quote Originally Posted by Tip10 View Post
    Does Nuance work with other carriers???

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it does. It is not a Sprint product. Here is the link, check it out for yourself. Remember you'll have a 30 trial so if you don't like it, no harm no foul.

K
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I have a Verizon Centro and downloaded the trial from Nuance. The App worked great but I noticed that my text messages were not going through so I removed it. Anyone else have this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by kwnd623 View Post
    I have a Verizon Centro and downloaded the trial from Nuance. The App worked great but I noticed that my text messages were not going through so I removed it. Anyone else have this problem?

Thats odd because all NVC does is "translate". It doesn't actually send the text for you. Texts are sent directly from your phone and through your carrier.

Only problem I have is that sometimes NVC won't translate my potty mouth

K
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I had to take out the battery and it started sending again. I think I might try it again, its a real cool program.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwnd623 View Post
    I'm on Verizon also -- and am trialing it now. I am not having problems with test messages -- it creates the text and waits for me to confirm with a send. Incoming texts work fine.

I've used both TEXT MESSAGE as a voice command and just TEXT -- both worked fine.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Must've just been my phone, that's a relief cause its a real cool program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tip10 View Post
    I'm on Verizon also -- and am trialing it now. I am not having problems with test messages -- it creates the text and waits for me to confirm with a send. Incoming texts work fine.
    Yea, it doesn't automatically send in case it mis-interprets your speech. It just composes the message for you to confirm & send manually.
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed View Post
    NUANCE VOICE CONTROL! I cannot live without this app. It came packaged with Sprint Centros and you have a 30 day trial. After that you have to pay $6/month.

Not only does it allow you to speak text messages, (and it is eerily accurate!) which is what I use mine for the most, you can also do things like say...."google the population of Tennessee",or, for phone numbers or directions say...."Find Pizza Hut near (zipcode)" You can also use it to dial numbers, get weather, and compose short emails.

Yes, there is a monthly charge but this app has really taken my "text while driving" to a whole new safety level.

I downloaded the trial for my ATT Centro. I liked it so much I wanted to buy it. When I tried, it first lists Centro, then i go all the way through to put my credit card info in, it asks what device and doesn't list Centro as being supported. I emailed Handango and they told me it wasn't supported. What's the dealio? Should I just put in ATT Palm 680?
    Last edited by miller; 01/21/2009 at 08:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post

I downloaded the trial for my ATT Centro. I liked it so much I wanted to buy it. When I tried, it first lists Centro, then i go all the way through to put my credit card info in, it asks what device and doesn't list Centro as being supported. I emailed Handango and they told me it wasn't supported. What's the dealio? Should I just put in ATT Palm 680?
    hmmmmmmmmmmm... thats kinda weird....so did you trial it for the full 30 days without issue? Did the software come loaded on your phone? I'd say just chose any phone just so you can get it registered. Since you pay a monthly fee for the service, if something happens that the program starts acting squirrelly you can simply stop paying the monthly fee.

k
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed View Post
    hmmmmmmmmmmm... thats kinda weird....so did you trial it for the full 30 days without issue? Did the software come loaded on your phone? I'd say just chose any phone just so you can get it registered. Since you pay a monthly fee for the service, if something happens that the program starts acting squirrelly you can simply stop paying the monthly fee.

k
    Actually, the trial is only 3 days, not 30. And no, it did not come loaded on my ATT Centro. I think a 680 would be closest if I choose any phone to be similar.
    I see...I got 30 full days and it came loaded on my Sprint Centro. Let us know how it works out for you.

K
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast