1.    #1  
    I searched and found that Opera Mini is a possibility.

I would like a browser that allows me to access all the websites I can when using IE on my laptop. For example, I can't currently login to Vonage on my Centro.

Blazer just seems so "old fashioned."
    "Blazer just seems so "old fashioned."

It is...
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Try Xiino web browser ....
    Quote Originally Posted by amjz View Post
    Try Xiino web browser ....

Xiino is supposed to be good, but rumor has it that while you can download the trial, there is no longer any way to register it, and so you're out of luck when the trial period ends.

I haven't tried it myself for this reason; I would be glad to learn if I am mistaken.
    I'm planning on staying with Blazer and wait to see what new OS brings us!
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    I've looked all over and nothing seems to top blazer. xiino is ok and fast but no good for normal web pages. i've done a few skins that make blazer at least a little better looking... unfortunately I can't make it more functional than it already is :/
    Universe is good. The only bad part is it loads slow.
    This place should be called CentroCentral, because Centro is better than Treo.
    Crackberry.com reports (and demos) that "BitStream" is working on a "Bolt" WebKit-based browser for J2ME phones. This should include Palm Centros and Treos, in principle. See:
    http://crackberry.com/preview-bolt-b...-get-your-copy

I tried to register for the Beta, even though I have a Centro rather than a Blackberry. I'll report back here if they admit me to the beta program.
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    Crackberry.com reports (and demos) that "BitStream" is working on a "Bolt" WebKit-based browser for J2ME phones. This should include Palm Centros and Treos, in principle. See:
    http://crackberry.com/preview-bolt-b...-get-your-copy

I tried to register for the Beta, even though I have a Centro rather than a Blackberry. I'll report back here if they admit me to the beta program.

I looked at the Bolt site. It says in the FAQs:

Can I use BOLT with my Palm device?
    No. BOLT does not currently support the Palm OS. We plan to expand support in future releases.
    Anything J2ME isn't an answer, due to the rather poor implementation of the JVM, unfortunately.

There is that pirated version of NetFront 3.1, how does it compare?

(For that matter, if Access would just sell NetFront 3.5 for Garnet, we'd have it made...)
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Ok, Opera Mini 4.1 BETA works pretty well on the Centro with the right settings. It crashes on me from time to time but Lightspeed and/or UDMH may affect this. Not sure what the optimal settings are because I am still messing with it myself.

I hear there was a Netfront 3.1 patch that allowed it to run on Palm OS5 devices but I can't seem to find the required stuff to do it. (Maxx, clie fonts)
    My understanding is that Blazer uses the NetFront engine.

I've had a lot fewer issues with Blazer over the past year now that there's a good standalone Google Maps client and more sites have mobile versions.
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindphaser View Post
    Ok, Opera Mini 4.1 BETA works pretty well on the Centro with the right settings. It crashes on me from time to time but Lightspeed and/or UDMH may affect this. Not sure what the optimal settings are because I am still messing with it myself.

I hear there was a Netfront 3.1 patch that allowed it to run on Palm OS5 devices but I can't seem to find the required stuff to do it. (Maxx, clie fonts)
    i don't think that version ever worked on treo devices, just like t3's or whatever those other ones are. i tried installing once and caused quite a ruckus on my centro
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Where can I find a copy of that Universe 3 beta for Palm OS devices? I would really like to give that a try. But for right now Opera Mini 4.1 is it. Pretty sad isn't it?
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Opera Mini is amazing, I actually like it better than the Webkit browser on iPhone / upcomign Pre
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by machx View Post
    Opera Mini is amazing, I actually like it better than the Webkit browser on iPhone / upcomign Pre
    Yeah, Opera Mini is by far the best way to browse on the Centro. I wish it were more stable though. So far I am using these settings and have had zero crashes...

UDMH on.
    32MB memory / 32KB stack size High Res Coordinates and Double Buffering ON under IBM JVM prefs.
    Under Opera Mini in J9 prefs, VM options "-Xmx8m"

That seems to work for me no problems. Opera Mobile is the real deal though so I am considering getting a nice WinMo device. This Centro just doesn't provide enough to justify paying $30 a month for unlimited data.
    Interesting; for those of us who don't want to invest either the dollars or complexity of UDMH, I wonder if there are other settings which will work with 8MB of total JVM memory. E.g., "-Xmx5m" ? The number inside this string (in my case 5 rather than 8 in Mindphaser's example) indicates how much memory should be assigned to the JVM heap.

Does anyone know how much JVM heap memory is assigned by default?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I think it's only like 1M by default.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindphaser View Post
    Where can I find a copy of that Universe 3 beta for Palm OS devices? I would really like to give that a try. But for right now Opera Mini 4.1 is it. Pretty sad isn't it?

I downloaded a .prc for the Universe browser and all it loads is a blank screen. Does anyone know the address to get the newest version?
    Palm Downloads and Treo Tips and Tricks:
    Opensourcepalm.com
    Thanks for the Opera Mini tips. I will give them a try when I sort out my other problems with my phone. I really liked Opera on my old Treo.
    Treo 650 -> Centro 128 MB