1.    #1  
    My father bought this phone through Sprint almost a year ago and used it on their network for approximately six months. He then canceled his account with Sprint and switched to Verizon for certain reasons and bought a blackberry. He has since given the phone to me to do with it what I wish and my question to you guys is there a way that I can flash the software on the phone to Verizon so that I can activate it on their network? I have done some research and have learned that this is the course of action that I need to take in order to get this to work because of conflicting ESN numbers and differences in software (correct?). So if I am correct in what I have learned, how do I do that, and where can I get the software from? Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
    Really can't be done. Each provider has specific things done to the phone that allows them to be unique to them. It would be easier to flash the ROM in the phone to the Cricket network than to try and make it work on Verizon. The ESN number would also most likely not allow it to be activated either, since it is tied to the hardware (kind of like a MAC ID). There may also be some other internal differences that aren't apparent to the end user that would make it impossible to do.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    For a short answer, you can't.

Longer: the big providers keep lists of ESNs that are valid on their network, mostly corresponding to phones they sold. They blacklist phones in this list that were previously owned by people with whom they have had a billing dispute, reported stolen or lost, etc. Then, the feds made it criminal to change an ESN (I've seen it but I don't recall whether it's a law or an FCC reg). Thus we CDMA users lose the ability to migrate phones. There was some discussion last year about Verizon opening their network, but I don't know what happened there; I think that may have just been for new phones anyway.

Some smaller providers use others' ESN lists, or no ESN list at all, so that may be a route if you're not locked into the carrier. I'm sure someone knows who these carriers are, but I don't have a pointer other than Google.

It is possible but rare that the same phones across providers are different; regardless usually there's some check in the upgrader to prevent cross-flashing. For some phones (HTC WM phones especially) there are tools but you will still have the ESN problem on CDMA networks.
  4.    #4  
    I see, well in that case is there any software I could put on it that would allow me to get wireless internet? Sorta like an iPod touch or iPhone, without the phone service?

EDIT: Just to put my intentions in simpler terms, is there anything cool and worthwhile that I can do with this phone or am I better off just selling it on Ebay
    Last edited by bballdude3409; 01/02/2009 at 04:48 PM.
    you can use it as a PDA with no wireless at all or you can sell it on ebay or try to trade it with someone who has a verizon phone and wants a sprint phone.
    it just depends on how much you want to make it work. you can grab a programming cable from one of the guys from howard forums, flash the devices over with the proper settings for verizon and whatnot but then they would probably check with sprint to see if it's blacklisted. better off trying to flash to cricket or metropcs than cloning an ESN (which is not legal, don't do it, etc.) to verizon. still, if you do sell it on ebay, please post a link here and I'll consider purchasing it so I can get a metro phone.
  7.    #7  
    What would one be worth? From snooping around on ebay they seem to be from $160-$200. Mine was used for maybe 4 months by my father, a real estate agent, never been dropped, no scratches, never been used without a film/cover thing over the screen, etc. It was bought from a Sprint store in the Seattle area about a year ago. Pretty much it is like new in box, so what would a good price be to sell it for?
    Quote Originally Posted by bballdude3409 View Post
    What would one be worth? From snooping around on ebay they seem to be from $160-$200. Mine was used for maybe 4 months by my father, a real estate agent, never been dropped, no scratches, never been used without a film/cover thing over the screen, etc. It was bought from a Sprint store in the Seattle area about a year ago. Pretty much it is like new in box, so what would a good price be to sell it for?
    I see them on Craiglist for the price range you're talking about. You may have to list it a couple of times, but at least you don't have to pay eBay's listing fees or final value fee. What I have found to be most successful with CL is to put up actual pictures. I've listed items without pics, no sales. Added pictures and they sold rather quickly.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    It CAN be done. Look at my post in this forum.