1.    #1  
    This morning I went to Radio Shack and got a battery holder that holds 4 AA's with a switch and wire leads for $2. I had an old charger from my Treo 650 that I cannibalized. I cut the tip off the Treo charger and spliced (soldered) it onto the wire leads from the battery holder.

The battery holder puts out 5 Volts, which is the same as the charger puts out. Guess what? I had a dead battery in my Centro, so I plugged my portable charger into the Centro and now it is up to 92% and still going up!

I just bought some rechargeable NiMH AA's, which are rated for 2650 mAH, so I'm hoping to get a couple of Centro charges from my fully charged portable charger. It is only as big as 4 AA batteries, so it is easy to carry along when needed. This way, I could use my Centro heavily all day and never run out of juice! We use AA batteries for many things, so I keep some charged all the time anyhow. This way, if I'm in one of those boring all day meetings (or traveling on a plane) I can just bring my portable charger along and I don't have to worry about running low on power!

I thought about using the USB (hotsync) cable tip, but I decided to just use the tip from my regular charger because it was also 5 Volts.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    That's pretty creative Tonylmiller. Sounds good.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Thanks for posting this! I can hardly wait to try it out.
  4.    #4  
    It looks like I'm getting around two or three charges of my Centro before the AA battery pack gives out. Your mileage may vary...
    This sounds great Tony, I've never done anything like this before but I'd like to try it. Can you post some pics of the parts so I know what to buy at Radio Shack?
  6.    #6  
    truspark:
    On my Centro now, but it is model number 270-409 and the catalog number is the same (Radio Shack). You can see a pic at their website.
    You could also use their Model 7805 voltage regulator, if you feel adventuresome. I wanted to keep it simple.
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    How long does it take to charge the Centro?
  8.    #8  
    I haven't timed anything, but the charge times seem about normal.
    Only problem I see is that if I forget my regular charger, I'm probably going to forget to take something like this, too.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  10.    #10  
    This is for times when I can't use my regular charger...

cool idea