1.    #1  
    I have a 2400mAh battery for my Treo 680 that has suddenly developed a slight bulge to it -- both of the large, flat sides are slightly ballooned out.

Is this dangerous? Is it going to explode or something?

What would cause something like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
    I have a 2400mAh battery for my Treo 680 that has suddenly developed a slight bulge to it -- both of the large, flat sides are slightly ballooned out.

What would cause something like that?
    Toss the battery. It probably has been overcharged.

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blo...ells-up-l.html
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    Toss the battery. It probably has been overcharged.

Thanks. Not quite the answer I wanted to hear. But thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
    May just "vent with flames".

A battery with a faulty protection circuit may function normally but does not provide the required safety. If charged beyond safe voltage limits with a poorly designed accessory charger, the battery may heat up, then bulge and in some cases vent with flame. Shorting such a battery can also be hazardous.

Manufacturers of Li-ion batteries refrain from mentioning explosion. ‘Venting with flame’ is the accepted terminology. Although slower in reaction than an explosion, venting with flame can be very violent and inflicts injury to those in close proximity. It can also damage the equipment to which the battery is connected.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    May just "vent with flames".
    Oh well, in that case...

Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    If charged beyond safe voltage limits with a poorly designed accessory charger,
    Funny thing is, it was charged with a Seideo charger, too...