1.    #1  
    Behind the times, Palm's attempt to catch up is somewhat unsettling. They launch this web based app store which is about 70k - 100k download a pageview. Not as fast as you would have hoped. Haven't they learned anything from google maps? It is possible to create a great .prc, I've seen a handful of them... but never from Palm.

The apps for sale range on average $15 - $30. There are some free apps. I browsed through 40 or so and it took me a few minutes to see each icon plus a tiny one sentence description of each app.

Ok, I'll download a free one. I get this weather app that look pretty cool. It downloads in 780k. Fine. I then go to my applications and it's not there. Lo and behold it saves to my card as filename "undef" I had to rename it and tack on .prc. So this should be fun experience for users without an app like resco explorer.

I don't know... every attempt this company makes to improve their brand always seems to be another step backwards. They can't be competitive on another front. Looks like we have another Foleo here... Ant I'm one of the ones whose hung on for a long time... never jumped to iPhone or BB... just sat and continued to take the punishment.

Something that's been said by many users, and many times before... I think their time is up...
    This was a marketing gimmick that backfired. They tried to make it sound like they had more than they do, when what they actually have is a "new partnership with palmgear." They could have just stated it that way and not wound up looking foolish.

Then again, they do have an app store. Part of the problem (as I stated in another thread) is that the definition of "app store" has changed dramatically since the iPhone 3G.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    For real, I try and be patient, continue to be a loyal user but goodness do they have idiots running the company? So b/c apple and google have app stores lets jump on the bandwagon blindly?

Me too I had issues navigating the app store, nothing really impressed me, had those apps and even better versions of it already. All my non-palm friends tell me it's a dead OS I'm inclined to agree with them now...
  4.    #4  
    What's the benefit of developing applications for PalmOS and having them hosted on palmgear's mobile quasi app store website? If you were a developer, why would you choose to write for that platform? Nova and ACCESS Linux Platform remain to be seen and prove their worth as viable competitors to Android, OSXmini, RIM.

The current devices that run PalmOS may be new hardware but the OS is a big part of the experience... and that OS is 5 years old without any major updates.

Regardless... Palm is going to be bought by microsoft. this app store proves that to be the case. they just can't do anything that is a major groundbreaking or innovative success on their own.

So if developers believe any of that to be the case... its just a matter of time... centro/755 could very well be the last we'll see of full blown Garnett.

$30 for a palm os app... heh... who are they kidding?!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    This was a marketing gimmick that backfired.
    Besides the Centro, what hasen't for Palm? It is painful to watch a company bleed to death like Palm has. I remember the days of the III and V when everyone had one in business and they outnumbered Blackberrys.... how times change.
    It's gotten so that I'm having a hard time even working up any enthusiasm for whatever they have to announce next month at CES.
    I 10th that - even worse, I put off looking at the various articles. My next device will not be a Palm and that is a drastic statement for me.
    How come there are 2 Palm app stores. A couple days ago I downloaded the Palm App Store (web based) that takes you to software.palm.com in Blazer. Yesterday Treocentral reviews another Palm App Store that is a program that takes you to myPalm (not thru Blazer). Anyone know what the difference is?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by todivefor View Post
    How come there are 2 Palm app stores. A couple days ago I downloaded the Palm App Store (web based) that takes you to software.palm.com in Blazer. Yesterday Treocentral reviews another Palm App Store that is a program that takes you to myPalm (not thru Blazer). Anyone know what the difference is?
    I have the Software app with the orange bag icon this has a total of 20 apps available. Then I have the ugly green shopping cart icon which is the app store that sends you to the overpriced palm.pocketgear.com site. How do they not learn anything from their competitors?
    LOL, this app is so sad, but that's Palm's way. I'm done with Palm, and once my Centro dies, it will be replaced by a BB.
    Quote Originally Posted by chymo View Post
    I have the Software app with the orange bag icon this has a total of 20 apps available. Then I have the ugly green shopping cart icon which is the app store that sends you to the overpriced palm.pocketgear.com site. How do they not learn anything from their competitors?
    Yep, had exactly the same problems with the browser based one and have the same view of the phone app based store. It's crap.

Quote Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
    LOL, this app is so sad, but that's Palm's way. I'm done with Palm, and once my Centro dies, it will be replaced by a BB.
    Yep, except I'm going to go for an Android powered phone if it's up to scratch by then if not I may go for the iPhone...
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Hard to believe Palm was once so cutting edge in the mobile platform space. They've been lapped by their competitors several times over...one bungling mistake after another.
    I still enjoy coming to this community, but I abandoned the Palm ship months ago. Kudos to those of you sticking with them. Maybe they'll have something to show for their efforts at CES next month.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwman View Post
    Hard to believe Palm was once so cutting edge in the mobile platform space. They've been lapped by their competitors several times over...one bungling mistake after another.
    I still enjoy coming to this community, but I abandoned the Palm ship months ago. Kudos to those of you sticking with them. Maybe they'll have something to show for their efforts at CES next month.
    That's what I'm hoping for. I have dreams of an Android powered palm with less thickness still keeping true to the palm form factor with lots of Flash memory and RAM, w/ built in GPS and wi-fi/wi-max Then I wake up to the alarm from my bulky 700P with that god awful antenna