Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    After a fun-filled adventure last night trying to test out Chattermail...and many many resets later I finally was able to get it to stop resetting long enough to get to see the error log:
    Chatter conflict with TreoLnchr

Since I don't have plans to abandon TreoLnchr, I just used destaller to remove Chatter and reset the unit, and so far not a problem. So I guess I just saved myself $40... Versamail works fine for what I need, really.

SEE BELOW FOR UPDATE and more questions
    Last edited by ame; 12/18/2008 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Posted Update!
    I would jettison TreoLnchr before giving up Chatteremail.
  3. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    I feel the opposite. It's the first and only Launcher that I have liked.
    I use both on my 755 without any problem. I think your real problem lies elsewhere.
  5. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    I had hoped that too... The log specifically said those two apps. In all the errors I have gotten in the last yearish, I have never seen an error message that called out two apps at once, let alone a CONFLICT between them. Usually it just says "XX app created an error", or something like that. I did install it via HotSync though, instead of OTA, but even then, it shouldn't matter if I only had the conduits set specifically to only install programs and that was the only app set to install.

I have totally had it lately. Apps do not like my phone. TakePhone refuses to work on my phone, regardless of any app I have. IF it will function without a reset every 20 seconds, it just will not function right. I have tried stable builds and betas. No dice. Even on a complete zero reset it refuses to work. I d/l that OTA, and through HotSyncs and both ways were fails.

Literally ALL I have on here besides whatever POS crap it came with (my centro, etc) is this:

Colorize
    Destaller
    Facebook
    FileZ
    List (databases, nolistmaker)
    Lnchr
    NVBackup
    PowerHero
    TCPMP
    WWCalc

I tried Profiles for about 2 seconds, and it completely destroyed all my pref settings as I had them. So I deleted that, and hard reset and restored from before I had that on there. Which I had to do last night after Chatter. Blocks (tetris) jacked it up pretty good too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    I had hoped that too... The log specifically said those two apps. In all the errors I have gotten in the last yearish, I have never seen an error message that called out two apps at once, let alone a CONFLICT between them.
    Which log?

Could you please be more specific?

Can you describe the log application that you are using?

Can you describe your uses of Chatter in more detail?

If Chatter is running in the background and TreoLnchr is in the foreground then it is possible that whatever you are using for logging is assuming that there is a conflict between the two. It is very possible that it is a bug in Chatter only (I hit one in particular every now and then).
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  7. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    So I just did a zero reset and I am reinstalling TreoLnchr to start. I also deleted List off the apps to reinstall, as well as Facebook.
  8. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Which log?
    The log you get when dialing ##377#

Could you please be more specific?
    Specific about what? I can't load Chatter without it going into a reset loop.

Can you describe the log application that you are using?
    Just ##377#. The window pops up with the error message.

Can you describe your uses of Chatter in more detail?
    I click the icon to start it. After the first reset after a timed check, I deliberately have it set to not push or check at any intervals nor start up without me starting it up. None of my accounts use SSL. I manually check for mail, whole thing freaks out and starts resetting. I don't usually leave anything up in the background, I always go back to homescreen usually. Unless I am texting with someone.

If Chatter is running in the background and TreoLnchr is in the foreground then it is possible that whatever you are using for logging is assuming that there is a conflict between the two. It is very possible that it is a bug in Chatter only (I hit one in particular every now and then).
    There's no log program. After the phone's error log itself told me of the conflict I got rid of Chatter. After that, not one single trouble.
    I have been using ChatterEmail since the version 1.x days, and now use it on my Centro.

I've been using TreoLauncher for 3 or 4 months and have bought it too.

I use both programs about 10,000 times every day. I do no experience any crashes like you describe.

Though I'm not saying it is impossible that they're in conflict with each other, I am saying that I am only one of many, many users who use both these programs without problems.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    It is possible that you have stumbled upon a bug with Chatter. If you are able to get into Chatter without crashing (and if you do want to run Chatter), then you can enable Chatter's log and try to see what caused the crash (my crashes frequently involve corrupt mail storages).

I have never actually seen the System Error Log report "conflicts." Weird...
    Did you know:

11. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Same here. I wish I had one of those screen shot programs to have captured it, or had taken a photo. I have only been working with Palm/Smartphone items since last Fall so I have little experience comparatively. I called my uncle who is a Palm freak and he just said "that's an uncommon error. Reset and start over". So I did. But I did not put Chatter on.
  12. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    (my crashes frequently involve corrupt mail storages).
    But would it do that within 20 minutes of installation if no email had actually been downloaded?
  13. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Ok. I did another complete wipeout of the whole phone. I installed ONLY Chattermail. Nothing else was on my phone. I did NOT put my SD card in my phone as Id noticed something about that being an issue on the Chatter forum...I tried to download mail and instantly crashed. Crash log listed Chatter mail as a fatal exception.

Any ideas?
    Ok. I did another complete wipeout of the whole phone. I installed ONLY Chattermail. Nothing else was on my phone. I did NOT put my SD card in my phone as Id noticed something about that being an issue on the Chatter forum...I tried to download mail and instantly crashed. Crash log listed Chatter mail as a fatal exception.

Any ideas?
    I would suggest emailing Chatter's crash log (you enable it by opening Chatter, going to the menu and choosing Console [Menu->Pref->Console], and type newlog, then press OK) to Chatter's support, but they are no longer at Palm, so I am not sure what response you will get. I would offer to take a look myself, but there is the chance that passwords would be sent in the file, and I do not provide support for Chatter Email (officially, as I am not on its dev team, and I couldn't do much else but guide you in the event of user error). You can do this on your own, but it is fairly tricky...

Basically, you open the crash log with an editor (I generally hunt the file down using Resco Explorer and "View" the file in Resco Explorer). If you start at the last record and work backwards you can find the records that mention error or crash. Sometimes the last record will be of value.

Beyond that, it is hard to tell...

Who is your email provider?
    Did you know:

Any ideas?
    I'd almost start to look seriously at your specific device.
    You've reported on here having trouble with crashes from a few programs now that others use without any difficulties at all.

Takephone is stable -- and compatible with a plethora of other programs yet your device refuses to run it without crashing.

Many folks run Chattermail and Launcher on the same device without issue -- yet your device crashes constantly.

I'd begin to suspect perhaps a device issue -- perhaps either a bad spot in memory or a firmware corruption.

Anybody know of any good diagnostics to suggest?
  16. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts

Beyond that, it is hard to tell...
    Who is your email provider?
    I have my own domain through godaddy that I get email through (I wanna say the info is secureserver.net in my setup for MacMail), as well as using Gmail and SBC(paid yahoo essentially)

Quote Originally Posted by Tip10 View Post
    I'd almost start to look seriously at your specific device.
    You've reported on here having trouble with crashes from a few programs now that others use without any difficulties at all.

I'd begin to suspect perhaps a device issue -- perhaps either a bad spot in memory or a firmware corruption.

Anybody know of any good diagnostics to suggest?
    That's been on my mind for a while. I have considered filing for insurance and getting a replacement. I took it to a Sprint "Repair" Store and they pretty much told me that ...and I quote... "If it didn't come on the phone already, you shouldn't install it. You did this to yourself and we don't cover that". And the best part, that jerk actually noted that in my account.

So...yea. Helpful!

Anyway....I have had it. I see everyone with this ridiculous list of apps they use with no conflicts or issues and I have like 8. And even with just 1 it's a mess.

Aside from just a diagnostic thing I could run, would maybe wiping the phone off again and re-installing that newest firmware update from July be helpful or no?
    I've heard good things about SafeGuard:

http://www.gotreosoftware.com/products/safeguard/

Also, you could do a hard reset, do a backup to your card (I guesss you use NV Backup) and install programs one at a time. Use your Centro for a day and see what happens. You can always use a backup to go back. It does sound like it could be your phone, as I use Chatter and Takephone and no problems.
  18. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    I was talking to someone on SU about that program. I already wiped Chatter off and I think I might wait til I have a day off work again. Ive spent Id say 14 hours so far this week screwing with this and I am kind of exhausted!
  19. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Oook....

so I gave in to the urge last night and did a total factory reset again. I then restored only my web bookmarks and my contacts. I also installed Reset Doctor trial, as well as TreoLauncher. I let it go for an hour. Nothing happened. I added Chatter. Nothing happened until I set up my SBC email (paid yahoo pretty much).

That is when all hell broke loose. It has to do with SSL on the yahoo thing I think. My SBC account will not work without SSL checked but somehow checking SSL on that account (my other one has no issues with that being checked) makes Chatter freak out like no one's business. So I deleted my SBC completely. And it stopped. So....I guess I can't use SBC email with Chatter or something. Which is fine, I check that through Blazer normally anyway bec I want it to stay on the server if I reply.

Also...I can't set my business account up as IMAP without paying my hosting company an additional $30. So right now it's at POP. Which is fine I guess since Ive been fine with that at home for 4 years. That's not the biggest issue...but this is:
    I use Power Hero to shut the network off after a minute. That MUST always occur and is non-negotiable. I want no network connections going for more than it takes to download/send the mail. It seems like neither VersaMail nor Chatter honor that function. I even set my Chatter thing on the one account I have in there to do an "offline" thing where it syncs every hour and then is supposed to shut back off. Well it's not shutting off, and PowerHero won't shut it off. So how do I override that?

Also, if I switch to IMAP, will the same trouble occur with the network always running since itll be synced? That's a serious deterrent.

Thanks all for your help, as highstress as I typically am, this is frustrating me and raising that, so I hope I haven't annoyed any of you.
    I don't use POP with Chatter, because the author of Chatter thinks IMAP is much better than POP and hasn't focused much effort on it. So I can't say whether the network connection issue is specifically for POP, but I don't experience it with IMAP. It's a bummer that your hosting service wants more for IMAP. I'd suggest switching to one that includes IMAP at no extra charge! There are some good, cheap ones out there. I've used DreamHost and PowerSurge, which do give me IMAP. I'm sure there are others.

I have Power Hero set also to turn off the network, but it's usually not necessary because I have ChatterEmail set to sync IMAP mailboxes at timed intervals. Once it syncs, the network activity stops. Note that in Chatter, there are preferences you can set to reduce battery drain, which I have set on my Centro. There's another preference to "Disconnect if all mailboxes offline". However, I find that this is not necessary. Note that the battery is draining rapidly only when the green arrows are lit. Also, within the set amount of time, if there's no network activity, Power Hero does disconnect. So I don't have the issue you're worried about.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast