Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Hi,

Just wanted to share news that Palm is fianlly going to
    debut next generation NOVA OS at CES '09.

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...213_356133.htm
  2. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Great article. Thanks for posting it. I am hopeful and see promise. Having so many Apple guys on staff is a great step.
    Good Palm are finally getting it out but at this stage I really doubt they'll make any real impact with it. My feeling is Palm is done...
    I feel like Palm should just make an Android compatible Treo and be done with it already. I mean, they already make Windows Mobile devices, so there is a history of producing hardware that's not running their own OS...

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    I wonder if it will crash like the introduction of win 98....

Seriously though, I hope that Palm does not blow this one or it will be game over.
  6. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst View Post
    I feel like Palm should just make an Android compatible Treo and be done with it already. I mean, they already make Windows Mobile devices, so there is a history of producing hardware that's not running their own OS...

-Warr
    That will likely NEVER happen. They told Google to take a hike and blew it.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Three musketeers: Android, Nova, ALP.

If all those 3 for 1 and 1 for all... there is a chance to dominate the market
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Ya, especially when they don't support numerous softwares that we already buy... unless we get free upgrades from the software vendors

Palm rules in two aspects: usability and tons of software... screw them both... then it is game over

ADD: also please make a better looking device LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I wonder if it will crash like the introduction of win 98....

Seriously though, I hope that Palm does not blow this one or it will be game over.
    I thought that Access, at least, was designing their OS to be able to run legacy apps? Maybe Nova will too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    I thought that Access, at least, was designing their OS to be able to run legacy apps? Maybe Nova will too?
    Thats darn near close to a deal breaker for me if its not.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    No maybe! It has been stated that Nova WILL run PalmOS appliciations.
    Last edited by johncc; 12/18/2008 at 07:25 PM.
    I've been with Palm since the mid-90's (with my old Vx). Right now I am still on my surprisingly stable 700p. It's in good physical condition, but it looks outdated. Plus the dang headset jack is broken, and VolumeCare only gave me a partial fix. I could use a new device.

If the Nova device does not (1) look good/modern, AND (2) run (most of) my existing Palm apps, then it's off to Windows or RIM I go. I will wait for it, but it had better be good. I do not think I am alone, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr View Post
    I've been with Palm since the mid-90's (with my old Vx). Right now I am still on my surprisingly stable 700p. It's in good physical condition, but it looks outdated. Plus the dang headset jack is broken, and VolumeCare only gave me a partial fix. I could use a new device.

If the Nova device does not (1) look good/modern, AND (2) run (most of) my existing Palm apps, then it's off to Windows or RIM I go. I will wait for it, but it had better be good. I do not think I am alone, either.
    ditto... ditto... ditto...

So, NO you are not alone!
    There is no spoon.
    Same here.

If This isnt backward compatible and multitasking with a better webbrowser than I'll either go with the Treo Pro or Touch HD if they ever come to Sprint.
    Im willing to give up backward compatiblity if its a real improvement in other area's.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Im willing to give up backward compatiblity if its a real improvement in other area's.
    If I may ask... such as?
    There is no spoon.
    how about if it actually comes with the abilities developers have been getting out of garnet right out of the box.

First of all all the functions of resco explorer. kinoma resco backup, 4cast, audio gateway, callrec, tomtom. warpspeed/lightspeed, munduIM, power hero, skinUI, volumecare.

If the new OS has the abilities of all these apps built in I might consider going to a device without backwards compatibility.

Besides All the applications are whats kept Palm alive this long. Theyd just shoot themselves in the foot if they didnt build a backwards compatibility layer in the new OS. Besides if dmitry can build his own OSwhih basicly emulates the Palm garnet environment why cant the team over at palm do it?