Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I received this in my e-mail this morning

Dear WordSmith Customer,

We are happy to announce the release of WordSmith version 2.01! 2.01 includes several new features and enhancements. Please read below for more information on the upgrade and for a special offer from LandWare, makers of the popular GoType! keyboard.

***NEW RELEASE DETAILS***

WordSmith 2.01 extends the benefits of our hi-resolution FineType fontT technology to monochrome device users. Using FineType fonts, especially the hi-resolution fonts, will significantly improve your e-book reading and word processing experience! Remember to tell your friends about WordSmith - the award-winning and FREE e-book reader (our trial version is a free e-book reader and enhanced memo pad). Please see Chapter 2 of our manual for the basics of using FineType fonts.

The following is an outline of the other new features of WordSmith 2.01. Please see the updated manual for more information.

- WordSmith users can now print rich text, formatted documents with InStep Print 2.0 ($29.95) by The InStep Group, Inc. (www.instepgroup.com).

- More printing enhancements, such as the ability to print rich text, formatted memos with InStep Print or PrintBoy Documents or PrintBoy Deluxe (www.bachmannsoftware.com).

- New display option for full-screen paging (i.e., if this option is enabled, a page down will not copy the last line of the prior page onto the next page).

- New "Take-A-Break" feature for e-book reading is just what the doctor ordered. This feature allows you to set a time after which teleprompter mode will pause for you to give your eyes a break.

- Support for international characters in file names on Macintosh. Please read the updated ReadMe included with the Mac version before installing 2.01.

- Faster hi-resolution FineType (Clie users will especially notice the difference).

This update is free to all registered users of WordSmith. Please see the information below for download and installation instructions.
    Howard
    Me too, anybody know how it works? They can't antialias, maybe they're just giving us access to new fonts?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I downloaded and installed the update. I converted a couple of fonts and installed them. When I changed the display to high resolution, it looked fuzzy, not easier to read. Am I missing something?
    Howard
    Originally posted by hloakes
    I downloaded and installed the update. I converted a couple of fonts and installed them. When I changed the display to high resolution, it looked fuzzy, not easier to read. Am I missing something?
    What are you running it on? I can't sync up software at work anymore, so I can't load it up on my Edge. There's a story on it at PIC now, they say it will work especially well for Handera owners. Is there anything in the documentation?
    I agree that when you switch to hi-res, they just look fuzzy. In fact, it looks very much that the fonts are being anti-aliased. This probably workes great on the high-res Clie's, but blows chunks on my VPL at 160x160.

I did however notice that is you turn Finetype on, the fonts do actually change a bit (very little) when the screen redraws.

I have not converted any fonts yet, I think I am going to read that part of the manual first.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I have a Platinum. I do not notice any difference with the plain font, but the selected font does take effect when I select FineType.
    Howard
    Hmmm. On my VDX, I don't notice any difference except the display font size is LARGER when I have FineType fonts activated versus when it is deactivated. I DO notice that the program seems faster than ealier versions.
    Originally posted by hloakes
    When I changed the display to high resolution, it looked fuzzy, not easier to read.
    How did you change to high resolution? I can't seem to find that option on my VDX.

Thanks, Monica

(OvaGirl's home away from home)
    Originally posted by OvaGirl

How did you change to high resolution? I can't seem to find that option on my VDX.

Thanks, Monica
    The hi-res fonts for greyscale units only work for Palm OS 3.3 or above. VDX is kinda left out on this one.

To have this come out on the same day I am getting my VPL, neat. I'm almost counting down the seconds till I get off work.

Jason
    3.3?!?! Another thing bad about my VDX and 3.1!!! Wait. . . Do I really care? Is it that bad? Fellow VDX owners, don't get worked up.
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    When I installed the new WordSmith I get a Fatal Exception when I tried to run the prog. Had to delete all WordSmith files & fonts and re-installed.

Have those of you who didn't notice much different between normal & finetype install any fonts. This gives a huge difference in appearance.

The High Resolution was _very_ disapointing, it just made everything fuzzy and difficult to read.
    I think the high-res fonts look fine but it is obvious that they are best seen in high-resolution screens. but hey, this was a feature many people wanted on the WordSmith mailing list and Bluenomad and QuikSense delivered. So in that respect, I am very happy that they added this. not so much that I will use it all that much but in the sense that when people request features, Quik Sense and Bluenomad work to add it in or work to find out that it isn't possible.
    To me, the biggest selling point of Wordsmith and Finetype was the fact that I can now upload fonts. Yes, I have a plain ol' 2mb visor... not even a deluxe! No fancy resolution, color or anything. The fonts I have uploaded look much better than the standard 'plain' font (Times New Roman, Tahoma, Arial, Bridgeworth, TW Cen, TW Cen Condensed, Blippo, New Courier, etc). Yes, I am sure that they'd be nicer with hi-res or color, but I am thrilled to have a choice of fonts now!

I think that everyone should benefit from Finetype, at least a little.

Way to go, BlueNomad!
    --
    ThirdMan
    Originally posted by volcanopele

The hi-res fonts for greyscale units only work for Palm OS 3.3 or above. VDX is kinda left out on this one.

To have this come out on the same day I am getting my VPL, neat. I'm almost counting down the seconds till I get off work.

Jason
    How sure are you of this? I haven't even been able to get the checkbox in the display preferences to appear on my VDX. I've emailed BlueNomad about the problem, and we've had a back-and-forth for about three days now. Each time I've indicated what unit I'm using, and it has never come up as an issue.
    Originally posted by VancouverCanuck
    How sure are you of this? I haven't even been able to get the checkbox in the display preferences to appear on my VDX. I've emailed BlueNomad about the problem, and we've had a back-and-forth for about three days now. Each time I've indicated what unit I'm using, and it has never come up as an issue.
    I have a regular visor (2mb), and I have a FineType checkbox under "Options" and then "Display Options". Right above "smooth scroll" and just below "Display Size".
    --
    ThirdMan
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I have a Platinum and a VDX. The Platinum gives me the Hi Res option, but the VDX does not.
    Howard
    Originally posted by VancouverCanuck

here is a reply by Scott Maxwell from QuikSense Software on the WordSmith Mailing list about the issue:

Unless you have a monochrome device. Then you get hi-res FineType which is a bit more than a squeak. ;-) I am really curious to hear how it
    looks on different devices. You have to have at least OS3.3 to use it, though.
    The URL for the mailing list is groups.yahoo.com/group/bn-wordsmith-discuss

Jason
    Am I doing something wrong? The files I have created on the Prism after loading 2.01 are all corrupt. In fact one of the files, a 1K file, is a corrupt 17MB Word file with junk and error messages embedded. It times out when it is installed the first time. Times out when I get it installed but when it is being backed up.

So what am I doing wrong? The answer I got from BN was to hold down twelve keys while, reintializing the mainframe at JPL, and taking two aspirins. Actually they said delete and reload. And I got exactly the same results.
    I found the answer to my corruption problems with Wordsmith. It was solved by installing version 2.6.3 of the Palm Desktop. Nice upgrade!