Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    MetaViewSoft has released a new utility for Palm OS devices. OperaFrontEnd is a helper application that works to better integrate the Opera Mini web browser with the Palm OS environment. The program facilitates making Opera Mini behave as the default browser on a Treo or Centro so you can have it open links from other programs. It will also allow you to use the built in onscreen keyboard and access the system clipboard from within Opera Mini.
    Wow - good info - i suppose you still need Java to make it work?
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
  3.    #3  
    Looks good. Anyone try it yet?

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Okay, but does it help with the stability issues at all? I could live without those other options before.. it just seemed like the 'every once in awhile' freeze always happened at my most important surfing moments =/

..Aaand, when I used to use Opera frequently, I was already able to set it as my default browser in the Default apps section of the Preference menu. So how's that any different?
    I tried it. Erased it after a day.

It works like it says it does, but two dealbreakers were:

It conflicted with the Files APplication (the one from Palm), and caused it to reset everytime i launch the FIles app. And i use this app very regularly.

Also, it does not seem to be compatible with the Versamail app of my 755p (which was my main reason for installing it). You will still have to paste the URL in emails on Opera manually.
    The on-screen keyboard feature looks attractive. One of my biggest gripes about Opera (on my Centro) is that I sometimes find myself unable to enter a character that I need, such as the tilde(~)

Any reports on the functionality of the on-screen keyboard of OperaFrontEnd?

I wouldn't like to make Opera my default browser, but I would love to have a button to push within Blazer which would then fire up the same web page within Opera.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    The on-board scrreen feature does not work for my on my 755p for some reason....
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    The on-screen keyboard feature looks attractive. One of my biggest gripes about Opera (on my Centro) is that I sometimes find myself unable to enter a character that I need, such as the tilde(~)
    You should have access to the tilde on Centro by the following procedure from the User Guide p42. (Image from User Guide below)

"Press Alt by itself, after a space or at the beginning or end of a line, to select these characters: [list of special characters]"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    You should have access to the tilde on Centro by the following procedure from the User Guide p42. (Image from User Guide below)

"Press Alt by itself, after a space or at the beginning or end of a line, to select these characters: [list of special characters]"

Thanks; this works fine in most applications (e.g., Blazer), but not in Opera Mini in my experience. This probably has something to do with the Java keyboard input/output library which Opera is using.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I tried it. Erased it after a day.
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    The on-screen keyboard feature looks attractive
    I didn't keep it around long enough to even try it, but from my understanding, it's the same useless on-screen that you can use in any other program.
  12.    #12  
    Ok, I've been using it and here's my results. I'm using it on a VZW Centro with Opera 3 (it's the most stable on my phone. 4.x freezes)

Keyboard works great (love the copy and paste functionality)

Feed URL seems to be working in most cases. Sometimes Blazer still opens.

Default for Web - had a few issues with this so I disabled it. i think this is what causes the conflict with the Files app.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Ok, I've been using it and here's my results. I'm using it on a VZW Centro with Opera 3 (it's the most stable on my phone. 4.x freezes)

Keyboard works great (love the copy and paste functionality)

Feed URL seems to be working in most cases. Sometimes Blazer still opens.

Default for Web - had a few issues with this so I disabled it. i think this is what causes the conflict with the Files app.
    thanks for the report. what does feed url do exactly?
  14.    #14  
    Ooops, I take back the part about the Files app conflict. Just launched the Files app and it reset my phone.
    I don't care much about the Files app, but I do care about being able to run Blazer sometimes on my Centro. The OperaFrontEnd app hid blazer from me, and I couldn't find it anywhere (e.g. in the phone app's favorites buttons or my launcher). Then (after an Opera 4.1 hang which required a hard reset), I uninstalled OperaFrontEnd. This gave me back Blazer, but trashed my bookmarks, which I had to reinstall from PC backup via hotsync.

I like the idea of OperaFrontEnd a lot, but there are too many warts for me.
    I don't even understand why people still bother to use, install or try Opera Mini for PalmOS (and its JAVA requirements). I mean, that thing will not work properly, period. It's very unstabe. I stopped trying it a while ago. I was of the ones that installed and tried Opera every time there was a new release, beta, final, or whatever and every possible or advised Java settings there is. Thinking hey, maybe this time .... People, it doesn't work.

Ok yes, it will work somewhat "fine" for a while, but it almost always ends up hanging, freezing, crashing, or whatever you want to call it ... eventually. And I mean almost every time you use it more than 15 minutes or something. Not eventually like once in a day.

Again, and just so you know, ... IT DOESN'T and will NEVER work properly on current Palm devices no matter what you do or tweak. You're welcome.
    Last edited by Cheker; 12/13/2008 at 08:25 PM.
    Since the day I started to develop OperaFrontEnd I'm using it in combination with Opera Mini on my Centro and my TX. I tried the 4.2 but it hangs quite often. I went back to 4.1 with the posted settings and it works fine. Now I'm using Opera Mini 4.1 quite heavy on the go with GPRS or at home with help of a Blue2Net device.

I'll checked it with the file application and fixed the crash. I will try to get Blazer called from inside OFE and then offer a way to decide if URLs are send to Opera or Blazer. I guess this might be the best solution. Opera for browsing, Blazer for downloads. I think, I have it published in a couple of days.

Eidt: @STBXXL, I can open the on-screen keyboard on a 755 simulator using the Shift-Menu combination. Maybe there is another app which interferes? Have you tried it this way for testing: Open the search dialog, now press shift and menu together. Opens the on-screen keyboard?

Regards
    Henk
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheker View Post
    I don't even understand why people still bother to use, install or try Opera Mini for PalmOS (and its JAVA requirements).
    The reason people keep using Opera is because *for them* it works well. Obviously for you, it doesn't work well.
    Despite Opera's instability, I am still interested in using it occasionally for its superior Javascript support.

Good luck on your efforts, Henk. I for one am willing to try a few more iterations of your app.
    Hi Henk,

I'm also unable to open the menu on a 755p, even after I disable all apps that also register for 'hede' events. I think the 755p might issue a different key code for the shift-menu combination than other devices.

Also, do you know if OperaFrontEnd can work with ChatterEmail? So far, I can't get links clicked in CE to go to Opera, but it might be hard-coded in CE to use Blazer (or Xiino).

Keep up the good work!

Conrad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast