1.    #1  
    Well finally got the centro

first impressions

1) Its SMALL! I have handled one before, but actually holding it to use and type .. now that I have one of my own is more informative. It is smaller to hold ... feels, small in the hand! smaller than my helio ocean...

2) No graffiti? c'mon ! I imagine once I have it for a few days I can get more comfy with the 5 way navigator .... but having in the palm os and no area for graffiti ... just seems like an oversight or weird.

3) Keyboard--sigh, i have average to slightly above average size hands .. keyboard is killing me so far ... i also want to grab the stylus and write on the screen ... so its still a rough transition so far...

4) it seems like in the design of the phone, you should use the 5 way navigator or your finger to poke at things on the touch screen ... but its not iphone or blackberry storm ... the icons are SMALL! hard to use the finger to poke at things ... i think the next version of the palm os should be more finger poke friendly than pure stylus!

5) Feels much more zippy and responsive than my palm tx. Screen is brighter and better contrast, looks sharper, easier to read outside than my palm tx ... plus i miss the graffiti--how about a touch screen centro with palm tx form factor? ha!

6) What are the key applications one must have? I am still figuring that out..

so I am still not sure about the phone yet ... but i will trying to think it over ... the lack of access to the vcast services is a bit of a downer, on sprint the centro has access to the sprint tv services, so odd...
    It will take you less than 2 weeks to get used to a device with a keyboard. When I first went from a Palm to a Treo 270, I fought using the keyboard. After a while it seemed like s stupid battle and now I refuse to look at devices without a front facing keyboard.

First thing you should get is a backup program and the biggest sd card you can afford. NVBackup is free, but RescoBackup is probably the most versatile.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamlet423 View Post

3) Keyboard--sigh, i have average to slightly above average size hands .. keyboard is killing me so far ... i also want to grab the stylus and write on the screen ... so its still a rough transition so far...
    You might want to take a look at MOBILE WRITE (Inkmark Software) -- somewhat of a cross between Graffiti and just scribbling out what you want.

I'm in the midst of a trial and am not sure whether I'll keep it or not.....
    I'm glad it doesnt have all those over priced and useless VZW appls on it!

Can get TV via Orb with TV tuner card in pc at home or Slingbox works on the Centro. Kinoma Guide also has alot of media available on it.
    Last edited by miles4000; 12/03/2008 at 03:13 PM.
    Try Touch Launcher for using fingers to navigate the screens.

Use fingernails instead of fingerpads on the keyboard. Kind of the side of your thumbnails. For more involved typing get a wireless keyboard.
    Just got mine for verizon too. my screen is a little crooked. anybody else have this prob? The touch screen the way its set in the phone casing seems to be ever so slightly off a 90 degree angle compared to the casing and i think it might drive me crazy.
  7.    #7  
    so after a few days now, the centro is killing me...

the keyboard is really not great, but the 5 way is not doing it for me...plus the touch screen wants you to use a finger and not the stylus, but the icons are tiny and works better with a stylus...seems like there is a huge disconnect there..i am still trying to have an open mind...

I miss my helio ocean. Ok, the OS is not special. But it feels good in the hand, the keyboard is 10x better than the centro..palm should get a device with a similar form factor to the helio with a touch screen--that would be awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    Just got mine for verizon too. my screen is a little crooked. anybody else have this prob? The touch screen the way its set in the phone casing seems to be ever so slightly off a 90 degree angle compared to the casing and i think it might drive me crazy.
    Try to realign the screen...

Preferences > General > Touchscreen...then hit the bulls eye with the stylus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyHDTV View Post
    Try to realign the screen...

Preferences > General > Touchscreen...then hit the bulls eye with the stylus.
    Some Centro screens are just installed crooked.
  10.    #10  
    Alas,

after about 2 weeks, I sent back my verizon palm centro.

I do think its a good beginner smart phone.

however, the keyboard was just to small for me for everyday use. Plus, the tiny screen and lack of built in graffiti (and enough screen real estate to use it) was another concern--and my own familiarity with using graffiti instead of a real keyboard on my palm tx.

they should make a palm tx centro! no keyboard, that would be hot...

Its a great little device but the form factor, with more intense use as I discovered, just wasn't going to work for me. Plus, to get it to what I wanted, I'd have to buy a lot of programs (font smoother, take phone, chattermail, mundu IM client, Kinoma 4 player).

Right now I got an ipod touch just to experience the touch screen keyboard and medical software out there. If it works out, I might buy an iphone. But probably not...I tried the g1 phone and I think its awesome! Now I'm just waiting for more android phones to come out so I can see which one as a good phone factor for me.

I love palm, but not the centro-not for me. But thanks to everyone who gave me pointers and trips--it was very helpful!

alas, a tiny keyboard and big hands did me in...
  11. EWT
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I wish they would have updated the 755 with the Centro internals. It would have been the best of both worlds - bigger screen and better keyboard in a stable, lag-free package.
  12.    #12  
    Well, when i went to the verizon store and asked if they had any other treos, they said the treo700wx was the only other one.

Thats a windows mobile device.

i asked--"will it run my palm stuff?"

the guy "well, its a treo--its from palm so I guess so.."

he must have missed his day of treo training? I dunno...but despite his promise I figured it best NOT to swap for the treo 700wx anyway..