Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    as a now new centro owner but a long time palm tungten E, palm tx user....where is the graffiti?
    Doesn't have it. Actually, it does, but it doesn't have a Graffiti input area, so you have to install GraffitiAnywhere to be able to use it.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    see here's the thing. If you really want to 'get' the Centro (or Treo for that matter) you'll leave Graffiti behind like a bad habit. Same for the stylus - leave it behind.
    The best thing you can do is to understand how the 5-way works. Never need to use the stylus or touch the screen at all - just use the 5-way. I know that's hard for longtime PDA/Palm users, but otherwise you'll struggle & just try to swim upstream.
    Say NO to Graffiti & to the stylus. Use the 5-way my man.
    After having used Treos and the Centro for years, and previously using Palm PDAs, I have to agree that there's no need for Graffiti at all. The keyboard is faster and more accurate. However, I do still use the stylus for certain software that doesn't handle the 5-way very well.
    I second JohnnyMac's thoughts. A couple of weeks using the keyboard and 5-way and you will most likely forget all about Graffiti.
    not everyone buys in to palms anti stylus propaganda, and some of us have even swiped notepad, or other drawing type aps either from the t/x or otherwise.
    as for data input I typically use the virtual keyboard with gasp stylus on my t/x to enter new contact info, and beam/toof it to the centro.

I can enter it with the centros minuscule keyboard, but I am much quicker with the t/x.

I first heard that anti stylus trash at a palm seminar on how to use the treo for business to a bunch of folk who were too clueless to really take advantage of these devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    not everyone buys in to palms anti stylus propaganda, ...
    I don't think that I succumbed to propoganda.

I went to the trouble of installing Graffiti when I got my Treo, but very soon lost interest, adopted the keyboard and 5-way for data entry, and put away the stylus except for a few applications. You can't operate one-handed with the stylus.
    Last edited by johncc; 12/03/2008 at 11:25 PM.
    stylus is used as primarily a pen (bought replacement ones with the built in pen). Occasionally I will pull it out for Notepad/Diddlebug but very rarely.
    I use the stylus mainly for games written for Palm PDAs. Have you tried using the 5-way to select and move a card in solitaire?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    I use the stylus mainly for games written for Palm PDAs. Have you tried using the 5-way to select and move a card in solitaire?
    Or Squish or RocketMania. Unpossible with the 5-way.
    That and Bombel is more fun when dragging the stylus across the screen at breakneck speeds
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    As far as I know, Tom LaPrise is correct that in order to use Graffiti on the Centro you'll have to install GraffitiAnywhere. Regarding 5-way use vs. stylus use, I would agree with others that the 5-way works pretty well for most applications I have. However, not all programs are designed to use the 5-way well if at all (usually older programs, I think). So I don't think you can give up the stylus entirely, but you should be able to reduce how often you use it by making more use of the 5-way.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    see here's the thing. If you really want to 'get' the Centro (or Treo for that matter) you'll leave Graffiti behind like a bad habit. Same for the stylus - leave it behind.
    The best thing you can do is to understand how the 5-way works. Never need to use the stylus or touch the screen at all - just use the 5-way. I know that's hard for longtime PDA/Palm users, but otherwise you'll struggle & just try to swim upstream.
    Say NO to Graffiti & to the stylus. Use the 5-way my man.
    I think it's pretty obvious that Graffiti is of course a thing of the past.. but to say "Never need to use the stylus or touch screen at all".. I could live without the stylus (even though I do pull it out for extended web-browsing, since my larger fingertips aren't as accurate for text-link clicking, highlighting text, and click-and-drag scrolling), but the touchscreen, to me, would be a dealbreaker.

Having touchscreen makes a direct visual/physical connection, which in turn speeds up productivity by bypassing the '3rd party' operator - aka: the 5-way nav.

OF COURSE the 5-way has made leaps and bounds in the convenience department for many actions on a Palm handset.. but to belittle the touchscreen down to something of uselessness is avoiding taking full advantage of how quickly, conveniently & accurately the handset can be operated.

One obvious example is dialing a phone number. It's much easier to dial using the large on-screen buttons, as opposed to re-focusing your attention (and oftentimes vision) to the small keyboard number keys.

Another would be, say, you see a link on a Blazer webpage you'd like to visit. You can either:

a) hit it with your finger. Or,

b) Menu>O if you're currently using Wide page format, hit the right nav button multiple times until your desired link is hilighted, then push the center select key. All that takes alot more brain processing, physical labor & time.

Am I wrong?
    I remember that on of the first Treo's I had, there were enough complaints about graffiti being gone that Palm was giving a free copy of Jot! away to owners so they could also graffiti. I used it for awhile and then a few years later the program came up and I found that I had completely forgotten that I ever used or owned it. Reminds me that there were people waiting for a Treo 600g to be released when the 600 first came onto the market. Graffiti takes me back.
    Didn't Xerox sue Palm over the use of Graffiti ?
    Yes they did and Xerox won. I believe that Palm then later came out with Grafitti 2 which was different from the letter strokes in the original grafitti.
    I was a longtime graffiti user too. It was tough at first but after a week or two you won't miss it. I was so used to grabbing for the stylus everytime that I finally just left the stylus at home. I did export the notepad app from the palm m100. I use it for notes in meetings that is about it is rare that I ever need the stylus.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    I'm another past Graffiti devotee who was initially unhappy when I switched to the Treo line ... but only for a few weeks. I'm not sure if I still remember how to do Graffiti after 5 years. On my first Treo (270), I installed the NewPen Graffiti tool and used it for a while. Haven't bothered since then (Treo 600/650/Centro).

In a short time you'll come to appreciate that you can easily add a new appointment to your calendar with the keyboard while you walk, almost without looking. Try that with Graffiti (or an iPhone).
    I always hated Graffiti. Bought a Tungsten C so I wouldn't have to use it. Also, I normally used the keyboard instead of the touch screen for dialling. The size of the Centro keyboard does not bother me at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    I'm another past Graffiti devotee who was initially unhappy when I switched to the Treo line ... but only for a few weeks. I'm not sure if I still remember how to do Graffiti after 5 years. On my first Treo (270), I installed the NewPen Graffiti tool and used it for a while. Haven't bothered since then (Treo 600/650/Centro).

In a short time you'll come to appreciate that you can easily add a new appointment to your calendar with the keyboard while you walk, almost without looking. Try that with Graffiti (or an iPhone).
    Every once in a few years, I throw batteries in my orange Visor Deluxe just to play around with it for the nostalgia. I ALWAYS somehow instinctively know how to use the grafitti.

BTW, how many people - with the Centro being their first exposure to a PalmOS phone - would not be Centro owners if they had to learn grafitti instead of use a keyboard?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Considering the target audience for the device.. I'd say at least 99%.
    =D
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast