Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Its amazing to see that both VZW and Sprint are still advertising the Centro for this holiday season. I'm seeing ads from both carriers still pushing the Centro. Palm needs to keep the interest going and make a newer one that they can make money on.

Maybe Palm will release a re-designed Centro for next year. Add 3.5mm headphone jack, flat screen and more memory, etc...
    Definitely a solid device.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Yes, the Centro is the first Palm devise I have ever had that hasn't been replaced at least once in a year, and we have two of them. Great phone.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  4.    #4  
    I also think the Centro is a solid smartphone and a great value. I wonder how the sales are doing. I didnt see any news of it making it to 3 million sold mark.

Assuming Palm can hold on next year, are they planning on coming out with a new one? It doesnt seem like alot of work to refresh the hardware as mention earlier.
    I can't see Palm releasing a new Centro next year, tbh I can't even see Palm in business this time next year...
  6.    #6  
    I'm thinking if they can weather the storm do they have enough resources to also release a new Centro. I find it surprising that they still are getting life out of this old OS. Its all about ease of use and the Centro's form factor. I wonder after the new OS is released if the plan is still to position the Palm OS for the low end consumer phones?
  7.    #7  
    Plus I just saw Palm's new Centro Claus ad on MTV tonite during Britney's documentary (was just channel surfing).

Like I said Palm is still pushing the Centro big time!
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Still a great phone!! They are so popular everybody's got one!!!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I know it takes months and months to get one of these things designed/budgeted, contracted out to the ODM, sold to the carriers, certified by the FCC, and then tested by the carriers....

That said, my plan to keep Garnet going on life support for another 6-12 months would consist of the following:

1. Drop the original GSM Centro to $200 unlocked and somewhere between free and $50 w/ contract.

2. Get the 128mb Centro beyond a Sprint exclusive and onto all other CDMA carriers and, if it makes $ sense, in GSM form as well

3. Release the 1.08 ROM update for existing Centros

4. Sweet talk all of the remaining Palm OS-friendly developers (Astraware, Normsoft, Dataviz etc) and convince them to keep support their legacy products with updates etc through '09

5. Release a Centro Pro that's priced somewhere between the current Centro but below older Palm OS Treos. Give it a 3.5mm headphone jack, a flush touchscreen, and a cost-reduced version of the Treo Pro's styling & formfactor (so a larger screen & keyboard than the current Centro) so Treo Pro accessories can be shared. It would probably make sense for this to be a CDMA-exclusive release. Send Garnet out with a bang!

6. Ditch whichever agency came up with the lame Claus ad campaign and target the Centros as the most user-friendly smartphones. Really play up the PIM capabilities and its ease of data input. Target those novice smartphone users who might be fearful of an iPhone or BB Storm virtual keyboard.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I would add that Palm (or some vendor, hint hint) should create an "app store" to showcase all of the apps available for Palm in a way that is recognizeable to the general public (in other words. just like the iTunes App Store).

People have told me they are not interested in Palm OS because they perceive there are few if any apps for it. Of course, they are wrong, but they are looking for a place with "app" in the name and don'e find it for Palm.

One other thing is difficult to overcome. Why pay $24.99 for a Palm "application" when you can get something flashier (not necessarily better) for the iPhone for 99 cents?
    HAsn't palm had an app store for over 2 years?
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    HAsn't palm had an app store for over 2 years?
    Yeah there should be a icon like the Sprint Store or (use shark links) for the Palm Store. The Palm app store is still limited though. I agree the app store and PIM usage would be good selling points. In the Apple Commericals they demonstrate how to use the iphone a lot of the time. The centro commericals just show how pretty they are. Marketing really does need to revamped.

Sidetracking!!!!
    One thing I love about Palm is syncing the phone to my pc. One button syncs and restores everything(even some 3rd pty apps) and keeps it organized on its own desktop program.

Cultural Shock --I set up my sisters pearl on her pc I was like "why do I have to go to two different menus to backup her phone and another place to sync her calendar". I kept looking for the desktop program? LOL!!! Then I shortly realized that you had to choose Google, Yahoo, Lotus or Outlook to be your Calendar. WTF? I want everything in one place. I'm would be leary about posting my personal info on Google or Yahoo. Then I had to go to the splash money desktop to sync over bank info to the phone. URRGGGHHH! Sorry for the rant!! Don't get me wrong I like Blackberrys they are sexy as Hell! I still yearn for a curve every and then. Palm may have its shortfalls - but Ease of use has a new meaning for me! LOL
  13.    #13  
    I hope Palm's new OS maintains that K.I.S.S philosophy!
    @Miles4000 - I am working with Palm on the Claus Centro campaign, and just wanted to let you know that you can find all of the ads at our Facebook page. facebook.com/claus

If you have any questions, let me know.
    your plan is too complicated become a car manufacture and apply for a bail out.

Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    That said, my plan to keep Garnet going on life support for another 6-12 months would consist of the following:
    I have a Verizon Centro. I could get any Verizon phone, BB, WM, etc. I wouldn't trade if for anything now, including the Bold, Storm, etc. It is stable, fast, great size.
    Quote Originally Posted by Claus2008 View Post
    @Miles4000 - I am working with Palm on the Claus Centro campaign, and just wanted to let you know that you can find all of the ads at our Facebook page. facebook.com/claus

dude, what in the world is that? it looks like a bearded lady in an elf costume.

santa clause is supposed to be a jolly, bearded fat man, not a effeminant representative of the gay community. (I'm not saying anything against gay people, just saying).
    Quote Originally Posted by Claus2008 View Post

Where's Nova?
    Palm needs to release info and pics with Palm OS 2.0 by January 2009 or they are sunk.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    The only advantages of the "new" Centro are the rubberized exterior coating, the additional RAM (obviously), the latest versions of FaceBook & Google Maps in ROM (not a huge deal as you can just download those for older devices), the slightly newer ROM (1.08 vs. 1.07--not sure what the specific changes are).

The older Centro is still a solid deal for $50 or less and you certainly don't stand to lose anything by asking for one. It'll definitely put the i500 to shame in every way other than perhaps battery life & voice call quality.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast