Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    The only advantages of the "new" Centro are the rubberized exterior coating, the additional RAM (obviously),
    My old Centro has a silcone rubber exterior coating which is probably more robust than Palm's paint job. Extra RAM is always nice though I have plenty free on my device.
    Thanks to hkklife for answering my question which apparently disappeared. But now it turns out they’ve changed the online price of the Original Centro to zero dollars, of course with the 2-year agreement. Now I’ll just have to stomach the Simply Expensive plan...
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    I also think the Centro is a solid smartphone and a great value. I wonder how the sales are doing. I didnt see any news of it making it to 3 million sold mark.

Assuming Palm can hold on next year, are they planning on coming out with a new one? It doesnt seem like alot of work to refresh the hardware as mention earlier.
    I've been trying to upgrade but vzw wants way too much right now. ATT's giving it away which is really making me consider switching providers.
    I love it. This phone does everything I want in a phone (My first smartphone). And I just installed the app store that is on the treocentral's site (the link anyway) so I will explore that. No complaints so far
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpuglisi View Post
    ATT's giving it away which is really making me consider switching providers.
    As is Sprint. But by 2010 there will only be three cellphone carriers and I doubt if Sprint will be one of them. Then again, Palm will be history too. Will they be next to demand a bailout?
  6.    #26  
    "I doubt if Sprint will be one of them"

Can you predict this week's lottery numbers?
    I’m working on that, getting as close as last week’s.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    "I doubt if Sprint will be one of them"

Can you predict this week's lottery numbers?
    Sprint has made a lot of mistakes. The Santa marketing being the latest one. And they definitely don't have the same "cool factor" that the kiddies are looking for. But they're reliable (at least for my wife and I), cheap and have a great network. I'd be surprised if Sprint disappeared completely. More likely will be that Sprint becomes someone else's Nextel.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by DSGamer View Post
    Sprint has made a lot of mistakes. The Santa marketing being the latest one. And they definitely don't have the same "cool factor" that the kiddies are looking for. But they're reliable (at least for my wife and I), cheap and have a great network. I'd be surprised if Sprint disappeared completely. More likely will be that Sprint becomes someone else's Nextel.
    Dont you mean Palm when you mention "Santa marketing"?
    More likely will be that Sprint becomes someone else's Nextel.
    Ironic, Nextel is really what brought Sprint down financially anyway. Although, their network coverage really got much better after acquiring Nextel, so I am not complaining. As for them going completely under I doubt it will happen in the next couple of years anyway. While I can't stand Sprint's Customer Service I love their rate plans they can't be touched believe me I have tried. I have been with Sprint since 99' and after numerous phone calls with sprint client retentions I have two centros and pay less than $40 a month for both lines after taxes and fees even. At&T wants $90 a month for the iphone with unlimited sms and data over $100 a month with taxes for less minutes and just one line. I can't justify leaving Sprint for new phones or service providers charging their outrageous fees.

As for Palm being around in 2010 we will see on Jan 8th at the CES if the future OS is going to be enough to keep Palm around. Remember the first Treo really secured Palms future for awhile.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    I'd love for Palm to stay around. As for Sprint? I don't love them, but they're the best of many bad phone companies. And prices that can be touched. When I got my G1 briefly my phone bill increased by $90. Data alone costs $20 more per month. Sprint can't be touched. If they could only get better handsets and shed their poor image... It's funny, I see those Verizon signs with the smug "Can you hear me now" guy, then I see the Centro add with the odd looking cross-dressing Santa and I shake my head. Sprint can't market. They offer the best prices and network and it's like no one knows this.
    centro is the best phone ive ever had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theconster222 View Post
    centro is the best phone ive ever had.
    Thanks, that sentence might be the one that makes my decision. I have until Sunday to finally make up my mind.
  14. j3n
    Quote Originally Posted by DSGamer View Post
    It doesn't matter if the Centro has the "cool factor that kiddies want." Kids & Teens aren't the only ones buying phones. Adults need cellphones too I'm 24 and got the Centro because it was an affordable smartphone. I couldn't afford a BB, and at this time, I'm not sure if I would want one anyway. I like how simple the Centro is, how easy it is to use, and how it fits perfectly for my needs. I hated my moms BB Pearl.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I just moved from a Centro to a Touch, windows PPC, I do like Windows in spite of what some may say.
    I realy liked the Centro except I do a lot of e mail and have way big hands, I just couldnt get used to the little key board.
    There are a lot of things that Palm devices do better then WM and visa versa, now about sprint, I just want to say the last three times I have had to go to their store I was treated very well, my questions where answered, I was taken care of, and in an orderly manner, Sprint is working on changing their image, and tactics, I am very happy with Sprint and hope they stick around for...well...my lifetime.
    Terry
    Originally the centro was marketed and develop for the teenie crowd. I asked the manager of the Sprint store two weeks after the centro came out how many kids are buying them. He said ironically none. He claimed that 99% of the sales are from adults upgrading their phones. Some marketing plan huh?
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    I like the Centro commercial that had Santa in it.
    This place should be called CentroCentral, because Centro is better than Treo.
    I love my Centro, and it's easily the best Palm phone I've ever used. However, I'm an old fogey, used to the Palm OS. The Centro is really an incremental upgrade from the Treo 650. It's what the 700p should have been. I think Palm has underestimated the change to the market's expectations brought by the iPhone. Hopefully the newer OS will be more in line with the state of the art.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I love my Centro. I have almost zero need for data, just use the Centro for device consolidation, no longer carrying both a phone and a PDA.

Having said that, I find Verizon's new policy that no one can own a smartphone and *not* have a data plan as maddening. When I can no longer get Centros, I will have to go back to carrying two separate devices, or pay $360 per year for the privilege of carrying one device.

I would gladly pay full price for a smartphone with no data plan, rather than pay the cheap subsidized price of $50 or so and be forced to take a data plan.
    You know jj, you might be typical. I heard somewhere that over half of the Centros out there do not have a data plan. Kind of ironic when you initially think about it since the phone is targeted at email/web data users. But that is not how people buy Centros.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast