1.    #1  
    Opera just released a new and a quite faster version of its
    opera mini browser.
    It is starting to look good.
    Haven't had any crashes etc.
    Faster browsing experience, if there are no nasty surprises we can dump our antique browser called blazer.
    Was surprised that the new version of opera 4.2 did cover our 755p
    Blazer is still the workhouse. Opera only lets you look at the web. It doesnt really do anything on its own and on some pages it renders it worse than Blazer.
    cool, hopefully its more stable than 4.1
    For me it seems the same as 4.1 or a little worse.

Just for the record last night while surfing on OPera 4.2 it froze and I had to pull the battery which then put me in a reset loop. A warm reset to see there were some corrupted files. Dont know what they were since they just showed up as yyyyyzzzzz and the like. In the end I had to hard reset and restore. I dont know if it was Opera related but my device is solid besides that.
  5.    #5  
    For me it seems the same as 4.1 or a little worse.

Just for the record last night while surfing on OPera 4.2 it froze and I had to pull the battery which then put me in a reset loop. A warm reset to see there were some corrupted files. Dont know what they were since they just showed up as yyyyyzzzzz and the like. In the end I had to hard reset and restore. I dont know if it was Opera related but my device is solid besides that.
    I'm sorry you had that bad experience.
    Maybe you should look at your java files too.....
    Personally I was not a friend of opera in the past either, but have to admit that they improved their product in a very nice way so that at present time the best browser for the 755p.
    It is faster than past versions which I can confirm as well as documented by many other reviews.
    In my case rock solid too. I did a longer session yesterday
    and there were no lockups or wrong displayed websites.
    I like the speed thats what really make it shine
    Is it just me or did the ability to type an underscore disappear? I thought with the latest jvm and 4.1 this was possible.
    Last edited by peterlemonjello; 12/01/2008 at 09:20 AM.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Is it just me or did the ability to type an underscore disappear? I thought with the latest jvm and 4.1 this was possible.

underscore works great for me, just press the alt key first on screen keyboard pops up
    This is a dumb question but how can I tell which version of the jvm I'm running? I'm pretty sure I have 5.7.2 installed but when I check the vm version in the prefs it says J9 2.2.14 ARM 20070207_1505_IHsCm. Is this 5.7.1 or 5.7.2?
    Well I finally loaded all the Java and Opera Mini 4.2, not bad, I just wish when you went back to Opera it would pull up the last site I was at instead of going the there home screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellwizzard View Post
    Opera just released a new and a quite faster version of its
    opera mini browser.
    It is starting to look good.
    Haven't had any crashes etc.
    Faster browsing experience, if there are no nasty surprises we can dump our antique browser called blazer.
    Was surprised that the new version of opera 4.2 did cover our 755p
    cellwizzard,

A while back I downloaded 5.72 java zip file - it was called WEME572.zip. When I opened it up there were just ton of files. I read somewhere that you only needed to install the the runtime j9javavmmidp20.prc and j9pref.prc. Is this correct?

Then after these two files are installed all you have to do now is install the "opera-mini-4.2b.prc" or possibly the "opera-mini-advanced-int - 4.1.10781b.prc" version that some say is more stable?

Question #1; If Opera Mini is not stable - is it not stable only when you use it, or does it make the rest of the device unstable just because it is loaded and installed on your device?

Question #2; If I do not like it, is it easy or can you completely uninstall the Java prc's? I have heard that once they are installed they are difficult to get rid of even if you do a reset with the erase all data option.

Question #3; Is it a memory hog?

All others, fill free to chime in. I am curious to see what all the fuss is about on the Opera Mini Browser.

Edited: I just read the pdf from the zip file, so I think my assumptions above are correct - so if you would like to add any tips or tricks that would be cool!

Thanks!
    Last edited by MouseGlider; 12/06/2008 at 02:46 PM.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    as for the java files they need to be hotsynced or the ibmjava webspehere will not install.

Just having opera and the ibmjava on your device does not effect the stability at all. The issues come when using opera and either freezes or resets.

I have found that java, or opera ,or a combination of the 2 fragments the cache to hell after using it for over 15minutes or so on my devices.

other than that its good to look at websites that would take blazer forever.

oh and for global settings for java I use

enable double buffering
    enable high res coords

mem maximum 8 mb(anything less and pictures wont show on car forums i visit you could probably get away with less)

stack size 32kb
    Last edited by OLD_HATCH; 12/06/2008 at 03:50 PM.
    OLD_HATCH,

Well I installed Java and Mini Opera 4.2 (final - not beta) with your java settings - after about 15-20min of playing around, it locked up tighter than a drum so I did a soft reset - I think it was due to my fault - it seems rather fragile - all I believe I did was hit "exit" from the menu.

I see what you mean by really fragging the cache. I agree with everything said above.

Three questions:

(1) I am on a Sprint 755p and the difference from the web demo and my set up is, the PC web demo uses a Proxy and my handset uses HTTP. Is there a way that my Sprint 755p can use Proxy? As Proxy seems way faster!

(2) is there a way to access the Menu button on the bottom left of the screen without a stylus?

(3) when browsing in normal a setting "not mobile" and "not zoomed" the 755p screen does not display a line of text the way the "demo phone" I view from my PC did - when my 755p displays a normal web page the text lines show simply as a lines to show placement until it is zoomed - is that the way it is, or do I have a setting off somewhere?

Thanks!

Edited: answer to #3, is that is the way it is - and actually I prefer to use it in the mobile format because of all the scrolling in desktop mode. All I can say is Mini Opera 4.2 final works good and has only locked my 755p a few times during intial use - but man it IS Fast!!
    Last edited by MouseGlider; 12/24/2008 at 08:57 AM. Reason: found the answer I think? :)
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    This is a dumb question but how can I tell which version of the jvm I'm running? I'm pretty sure I have 5.7.2 installed but when I check the vm version in the prefs it says J9 2.2.14 ARM 20070207_1505_IHsCm. Is this 5.7.1 or 5.7.2?

peterlemonjello,

I have 5.7.2 and the version I have is J9 2.2.14 ARM 20070207_1505_IHsCm also. So you are probably running Java version 5.7.2
    Last edited by MouseGlider; 01/17/2009 at 07:11 PM.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Am I correct that Opera will not run on a Verizon phone?

If I'm wrong, what files from the JVM 5.7.2 folder do I install?