1.    #1  
    Hi,

I have a Treo 755p and am trialing ChatterEmail and have it set up with my Gmail account (IMAP) and really like everything ... except it does't do very well with attachments. Some JPG's and PDF's get corrupted by Chatter at download (maybe even at upload, haven't tried that yet) and then can't be oppened. From what I have read, it's an issue on Chatter's side, only related to Gmail's IMAP. At least on recent versions of Chatter (I have 3.0.18).

I already tried the "new" "Centro"-version of Versamail and didn't like it at all on my 755 (I even like the old built-in version better, and continued using it), so that's out of the picture.

Of course, my question then: What's the better (or that you like the most) free IMAP-Idle account out there that I can configure and use with Chatter (either alone or with Gmail-fowarding) without the attachment problems? I read about Fastmail using this forum's search function. Any others maybe newer/better?
    Last edited by Cheker; 11/25/2008 at 03:44 PM.
    aol has the best free imap account with chatter imho. works great with gmail forwarding enabled.
    I got a free fastmail account when I bought Chatter several years ago. After a year, I upgraded my fastmail to use with my own domain. In 4 years (more?) it has been down once.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    aol has the best free imap account with chatter imho. works great with gmail forwarding enabled.

I don't use Chatter, but I agree AOL free IMAP account is very nice, and it works great with Versamail on my 755p and Centro.
    Last edited by MouseGlider; 11/25/2008 at 08:23 PM.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Fastmail is very good but their free account has very limited space compared to aol. I think my aol is over 2GB where fastmail was a few hundred megs.
    I use Everyone.Net (ChatterEmail) as my main paid account. Fastmail as a backup account (free) and GMail as a "fun" account. I had everything forwarded to Everyone.net and got tired of all of the email throughout the day, so I now forward the GMail account to my Yahoo! account. GMail has connection/timing issues wit h both POutlook & FlexMail. With Chattermail (Palm OS), everything works fine.

As for reliability: Everyone.net & Fastmail are very stable. Everyone.net no outs, Fastmail for 2 days a couple of years or so ago. GMail, well, it is just plain slow in the negotiating arena (time to connect and start receiving/sending email). Yahoo! works fine, but I rarely use it.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    +1 - That's the setup I use also. Gmail forwarded to a free AOL IMAP email account.
    My PDA progression Palm III -> Palm IIIXE -> PALM IIIC -> PALM M130 -> iPaq H2215 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Centro
  8.    #8  
    Thank you all for the suggestions. For now, I'm leaning towards AOL, but will wait a while for more research and opinions on the topic.

BTW, what about the attachment issues with Gmail-IMAP/Chatter? Anyone else experiencing this? If so, will the fowarding (from Gmail) to AOL, Fastmail, etc. stop that problem from happening in Chatter? Or should I use them as my primary free-account alone without the Gmail fowarding?

Edit: Another thing, if I recieve a picture, and it actually downloads without corruptions, when I click on Open and select Pics&Videos it doesn't really open the pic. It only saves the pic to RAM and redirects to Pics&Videos and there you have to manually browse for it, select it and open it. I mean, if I want that to happen I would better use Save to Card. Open is supposed to OPEN, not to save and YOU open!! LOL. "Push" Email is great and I love it, but Versamail handles atachments way better.
    Last edited by Cheker; 11/26/2008 at 05:28 PM.
    I had the same attachment problem with gmail. You won't have the problem with gmail forwarding to aol.
    I believe the latest release of ChatterEmail addresses the attachment problem. ChatterEmail is running on the 2 family Centros and both devices primarily use GMail. http://www.palm.com/us/software/chat...rEmailFull.zip
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I believe the latest release of ChatterEmail addresses the attachment problem. ChatterEmail is running on the 2 family Centros and both devices primarily use GMail. http://www.palm.com/us/software/chat...rEmailFull.zip
    That's 3.0.18 and it has the attachment problem with Gmail. There's like a 64KB limit and then attachments are corrupted beyond that.
    Ok, before I went with the 800W, my Centro had that release of ChatterEmail and with the mail servers I was using, the problem was not there. I used GMail, but rarely for the attachment thing. Thanks for the update.